Explaining a career change to FM from pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theowlneversleeps

Reaction score
Hi, everyone, I'm currently an IMG applying for Family Medicine Residency. The issue is that I am a PGY2 in Anatomical Pathology. I made this career decision because I was interested in genetics and thought that I was interested in doing research / being an academic. However, 1 year of residency made me realize that I do miss patient contact and communicating with people, making diagnoses and giving management. First of all, would this be a red flag in my application? Has there been any successful cases similar to this? Should I address/ How should i address this in my personal statement to convince the programs of my genuine interest in FM? I have done several FM clinical observerships and have all my LORs in FM.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not a PD/APD but I did switch from another specialty into FM and have spoken to many other people that have made detours in their training as well. You will be fine. People switch all the time and if you matched well in pathology you should have no problem with FM. The explanation you gave in itself is sufficient.