Experimental Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bujji13

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lately, I have been hearing a lot of people mention how some questions on the MCAT are
experimental. Are these questions placed randomly throughout the test, or concentrated
within one passage (like the SAT)? Also, do
experimental questions count towards our scores?
I ask because all of the questions in the AAMC
practice tests counted, according to their
sample scoring scale.

Members don't see this ad.

I was sorta wondering the same thing about the practice tests... this could be one of the reasons that a lot of people end up doing a few points better on the real thing, as opposed to the practice exams.

So far, I haven't seen any reliable source specifying that there are experimental questions on the MCAT. Word of mouth could be just rumor.

I remember seeing a message posted on the MCAT website, e-mcat, by one of the directors of the MCAT saying that the AMCAS practice tests had the experiemental questions removed.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you read the booklet that comes with the by-paper registration... it says that there are indeed experimental questions on the MCAT, in all sections (except writing I'm sure). But that's all they say about it. They give no hint as to if the experimental parts are entire passages or isolated questions.

You could try calling them to ask.

Hopes this helps :)

The K and R species question in the 2001 August MCAT comes to mind. Do a search for it once the search function works again, if it does.