experimental psych master's program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alexsupertramp

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have recently discovered a program where they offer a MS in experimental psych. with a concentration on primate studies. I have a MS in rehabilitative sciences focusing on substance abuse. I am planning on applying for a PsyD program; however, I am also interested in this experimental psych program. While I typically do not really get into research, I have never thought about research involving primates or other animals. This really intrigues me; however, I am curious at the job opportunities this would provide. Can anyone give me some examples of where I would use this degree?

Members don't see this ad.

What can you do with a Master's in Experimental Psych? Can you have an actual career from it or is it just a stepping stone to a PhD program?

Most of the time they are stepping stones to Ph.D programs, especially if it is just a generic "experimental psych" program. If its a masters in a specific experimental subfield (ie., neuroscience, psychiatric genetics/epidemiology) then there maybe more of a focus on masters level job placements wioth that degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
They can be a stepping stone to a PhD program. They do not have to be, however. Most students from my master's program (experimental psych) never continued into a doctoral program and were able to obtain satisfactory employment in various positions (e.g., lab directors, grant coordinators, key statisticians, other misc research positions, agency directors, etc.). You simply have to know where to look.

Personally, I'd go for a MA in clinical psychology over a MS in experimental psychology if I were going for a PsyD. Either one would work though. If you don't get into research, you may not enjoy an experimental program.

I know some folks who worked as research assistants (RAs) at university/hospital settings with a masters degree in experimental psychology before applying to PhD programs.