Experiences/opinions on various loan providers.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolness

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your experiences/opinions/recommendations in regards to the following loan providers:

1. Access Group
2. Citibank
3. Key Bank MedAchiever Loan
4. Sallie Mae Signature Loan
5. Student Loan Funding
6. T.H.E.
7. Wells Fargo

Members don't see this ad.

T.H.E. is the recommended provider for my school, because they give the best deal (so we are told--but we can go with anyone). I have had little contact with them (I have not yet entered repayment. When I have called about questions on my loans or my grace period, I have talked to a person, right away. They are helpful. They faxed me the information I needed documented (many other financial institutions were unwilling to do this) and then mailed me a copy on top of that. They have no origination fee and capitalize the interest at the end of grace (instead of yearly--this is good).

However, I haven't started making payments. I'll let you know about that when I am writing my last check at the age of 57.

By the way, you should go with a different company one year. If you have Staffords with two loan companies, you can consolidate with anyone you like. It is with one company, you have to give them the option first.

Customer Service Opinions...
Citibank has been very helpful and professional when calling to ask questions and I have an undergraduate private loan through them and they have been great for years.

Sallie Mae has a great website but their general customer service line seems to be overseas as when you call there is a delay in the phone line and the representatives are hard to understand.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone post a link to the T.H.E. website--I can't find it using google. I get millions of results assuming the word "the". Thanks

I was on the THE site today, actually, after I saw our tuition for next year :eek: because I wanted to see what my options were going to be to meet the COA. I still think they're the best deal - they have 0% fees, which was my big reasong for going with them 2 years ago, but I think their other services (conslidation, the fact that the interest doesn't accrue UNTIL repayment, etc) are excellent. I got into some debt during/after grad school b/c I didn't do my homework, so I did a lot of research before med school. That's only my opinion, take it or leave it :D

T.H.E. also lowers your interest rate if you make your payments on time...you may try and search for a similar topic (THE Loans) from last year, someone actually had a printout of how much THE saved you compared to other loans (taking out the fees and better interest rates)

I was in your situation and after talking it over with some people on SDN and reading the THE website I went with THE.

Not only are their plans the best, their customer service is AWESOME!!

I highly recommend them.

Some of the loan providers I looked up on the internet said that you could only borrow up to $18,500 for Stafford loans, but my school allotted the maximum amount ... anyone know if that is true of T.H.E.? I couldn't find their maximum loan amount on the web page ...

You can borrow up to $38,000 if your school allows it. Plus you can borrow using private loans on top of that figure.

I used Northstar (T.H.E.). They seemed the best choice and it was very easy and the reps were very helpful. They gave a financial aid talk during our accepted student's day and it was most helpful. I learned things I didn't know. I would recommend them. They seem to have the best rates and repayment plans and various other things, like no cost loan fees.

After doing some due diligence for my own peace of mind, I went with THE loans too. However, you shouldn't just take our words at face value. Do some of your own research so that you get the best deal for your situation.

dara678 said:
Some of the loan providers I looked up on the internet said that you could only borrow up to $18,500 for Stafford loans, but my school allotted the maximum amount ... anyone know if that is true of T.H.E.? I couldn't find their maximum loan amount on the web page ...

If you go to the THE website and put in your school (I can't remember the exact page) it will tell you how much the school's COA is. I thought that was really helpful.

It sounds like people have a lot of good things to say about THE. Does anyone have any experience with Access Group? Do you know if you can defer repayment through residency with either of these lenders? thanks!

Amy B said:
You can borrow up to $38,000 if your school allows it. Plus you can borrow using private loans on top of that figure.
QUOTE]

Correct me if I am wrong but if your school says your cost of attendance is $40,000 and the school only offers you $38,000 in sub/unsub loans...you can only get $2000 from a T.H.E. loan.......it's not like you can still ask for $10,000 on top of the $38,000...even if you really need it....the schools says how much total you can borrow.......right?!?!?!?

Our school allows us to borrow $52,000 per year. The school is the one that determines the amount you can borrow. My school gives the students more than my friend's school and her cost of living in the city where she lives is more expensive.

I went with T.H.E. for my Staffords this time around as well (the "no fees" policy is great), although I went with Sallie Mae for the private "alternative" loan, as my grad school private loan is through them and I'm familiar with them. I may change this next year though. Does anyone know if there's an advantage to getting a private loan through T.H.E. over Sallie Mae (or other lenders)? I know Sallie Mae does do the interest-lowering thing if you pay on-time regularly.