Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CurrySpice

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a high school senior and I'm going to defer my admission to college to take a gap year. Just need a break from the school system for a while to figure out what I want to study before I head off to college.

Obviously (since I'm posting here) one of my main interests is veterinary science. I'm heading off to Peru September - January, but when I come home I would love to volunteer/intern with a veterinarian of some sort. How would I go about setting this up? I'm sure you all have years of experience, so I would love some advice, including what sort of doctor to ask and what to expect.

I spent a week a few years ago shadowing a veterinary technician at New Bolton (which was AWESOME), where I got to watch all sorts of equine surgery and it was really really cool. I was considering calling up the lady and asking if I could do it more long term, but I think I would rather see if I can find something more "hands-on" if it's available.

Oh, and I live about an hour west of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. However, I will be renting an apartment, so I'm free to move around as necessary.

Members don't see this ad.

I also took a year off between high school and college--and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I worked full-time for that year to gain experience hours and I also worked a lot with a guide dog school and a therapeutic riding center to get other types of animal experiences (and mainly because they were things that I was/am passionate about).

I printed off copies of my resume and a cover letter and hand-delivered them to some local vets I had heard good things about. One of them called me that afternoon and by the end of the week I was working kennels at his clinic. About two weeks in, I was "promoted" to full-time receptionist. I stayed there for about 3 months, but it was NOT the type of environment I wanted to be working in (the vet spoke to everyone, clients and staff, in a very derogatory tone, was really disrespectful, etc.) and so I once again went clinic hunting. I eventually found a clinic that hired me as a full-time tech where I worked for the rest of the year until I left for college and then when I was home on breaks for my first two year of college (this last year I decided I needed a new experience so got a job as a tech at a specialty SA hospital).

So, I recommend you printing out resumes and going to each clinic and talking with them in person, explaining that you're interested in veterinary medicine and willing to take ANY sort of position (paid or unpaid) that will get you the exposure you're looking for. Good luck!

I also took a year off between high school and college--and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I worked full-time for that year to gain experience hours and I also worked a lot with a guide dog school and a therapeutic riding center to get other types of animal experiences (and mainly because they were things that I was/am passionate about).

I printed off copies of my resume and a cover letter and hand-delivered them to some local vets I had heard good things about. One of them called me that afternoon and by the end of the week I was working kennels at his clinic. About two weeks in, I was "promoted" to full-time receptionist. I stayed there for about 3 months, but it was NOT the type of environment I wanted to be working in (the vet spoke to everyone, clients and staff, in a very derogatory tone, was really disrespectful, etc.) and so I once again went clinic hunting. I eventually found a clinic that hired me as a full-time tech where I worked for the rest of the year until I left for college and then when I was home on breaks for my first two year of college (this last year I decided I needed a new experience so got a job as a tech at a specialty SA hospital).

So, I recommend you printing out resumes and going to each clinic and talking with them in person, explaining that you're interested in veterinary medicine and willing to take ANY sort of position (paid or unpaid) that will get you the exposure you're looking for. Good luck!

I'm taking a year off now between undergraduate and veterinary school (a bit different but kinda the same idea). Anyways, I did the same thing and it worked very well. I dropped off my resume and cover letter stating that I would follow up with a phone call the next day. I never got the chance to make the phone call, I got a phone call that night and got a job. Do you already have some animal experience? Before i went to undergrad I did not really have any so that summer i worked for my personal vet. It was easier to set up and definately helped me get experience. You can also start out by volunteering at shelters or wildlife rehab centers, they sometimes require less experience then some clinics prefer.

Good luck!