Experience during the undergrad. years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Punchap

Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
CNA, EMT - Any advice?

Hi,

I'm a freshman in college and new to this forum. I would appreciate any advice you may have to offer on this subject:

I would like some information concerning paid positions that offer exposure and experience in the medical field. I would like to become an EMT-B for this purpose. I will be applying to medical school in a couple of years and I would like to get a small taste of what it is like in addition to beefing-up my resume.

How would a student go about receiving the training necessary to become an EMT? Also - are there any other jobs that may offer exposure to patients or the medical field? Thanks for your help.

:)

Punchap

Members don't see this ad.

hey punchap,
i got certified to be ant emt b about a year ago. where i live, the fire dept covers all 911 bls and als calls, so my only option was to work for a private ambulance company doing transport. this didn't appeal much to me, so i looked into working at a hospital. i was lucky enough to find a job at a community hospital as an er tech. i do ekg's, blood draws, take vital signs, sometimes cpr, etc. i'm learning a ton of stuff, and i think you get the best exposure in the er. it's difficult depending on where you live to find a job in an er, usually they want medics, so if you decide to go this route, try a local community hospital. a lot of bigger hospitals have positions called critical care techs or nursing assistants where you get to do a lot of the same things, but its on a med surg floor, so not as intense of an experience. still worth looking into. another option is to be a medical assistant. since most bigger offices want you to be certified, you might try your luck at a smaller office. when i'm not in the er, i work at a doctor's office answering phones and doing scheduling, but i also to ekg's, urine dips, spirometry, etc.

another option i've heard of is that a lot of community colleges offer a phlebotomy cert course. i hear it pays pretty well...$15/hr give or take a few dollars depending on location. you might get tired of doing the same thing all the time, but it pays better than most jobs you typically get as an undergrad, and it is in healthcare. you can always get experience volunteering, and then use that on your resume to get a paying job, but you don't need to remind me what its like to try to find time to study, work, and then volunteer for free. i also know some people in bsn nursing programs. they get their rn after 2 years, and then spend the next 2 doing pre med classes, and working on the weekends as a nursing making a ton of money. kind of makes me wish i knew what i wanted to do when i was a freshman. anyway, good luck, i'm sure you'll find something.

Members don't see this ad :)
Punchap,

Being an EMT is an awesome way to get a taste of the medical field. The two "most popular" uses of an EMT certification is that of either ambulance crew member and patient care technician. Every county is different with respect to who runs 911.. some counties rely on the fire departments to provide first responder medical care, and in these areas a newly certified EMT is more likely to get his/her first job with a smaller private ambulance company that is more focused on BLS type transports. I first started in EMS with a small ambulance company and it was the best! In some counties, the 911 system may be managed by a private ambulance company, so working would include, if not soley be comprised of, being first on scene of accidents and emergencies. I have worked for such a company as well, and this to was awesome. Another modality through which one can use an EMT certification is in the hospital as a patient care technician. In the ER, this would involve intaking the patients that EMTs and Paramedics bring in from the field. In the other departments of the hospital, your role will involve direct patient care via vital sign monitoring, lab retrival, etc, etc. I have also done this, and this too was good times. The first requirement for the program that I took to become an EMT was that I get CPR certified, and this skill has been my favorite, in that I have become a AHA and ARC CPR intructor and i teach a lot in the community.

Most community colleges have an EMT certification program.. shouldnt take more that a semester, and bam, you can call yourself an EMT. There are a lot of techinical schools that probably offer EMT certification courses as well.

With respect to other jobs that get you a taste of the medical field, i advise that you just go out and do what you enjoy, and a long the way just be sure that you are affirming your desire to practice medicine. I dont think it is necessary to be work in or have experience in the medical field to know that you want medicine or tat you will be a good doc someday. I think it is more important that you gain experiences that help you understand the human condition, help you understand yourself, and help you come to the realization that everyone deserves the very best care and that you are the one to provide that care to them... This can be done as a waitress, a teacher, a toll bridge operator, or as an EMT.

That's my take on it, I love being an EMT, and I can't wait to be a doctor.

Brian Enriquez
[email protected]

I was going to post just what Brian did...

Let me give you my story: I am an EMT-B and a phlebotomist. I earned my EMT cert during my senior year of college (while studying for the MCAT which I do not recommend). I had done rig/street work before, so this did not really interest me. I found a job with a large hospital as an Emergency Department Technician and make more an hour than most paramedics (which is an added bonus). I have learned a lot about EKG's, med doses, diseases, etc. I really wouldn't trade my experiences in the ED for anything. Also, working closely with docs and nurses can only help you understand more about medicine and if it really is for you.

I must add, however, only become and work as an EMT if you really enjoy it. I know of people who have earned their cert and volunteered just because they knew it would look good on their med school application. This makes me question their true desire to be in medicine - but who am I to pass judgement I guess...

You can sign up for an EMT class at your local community college. Some CC's also offer phlebotomy courses. CNA courses tend to be expensive, take a long time, and are through a private medical institution. Taking a couple pharm courses (community college nursing section) couldn't hurt either.

Best of luck and let me know how everything turns out for you!

Thank you for your responses,

I'm new to the SDN forums and am very pleased with what I've found here. Everyone has been more than helpful and cordial. It's nice to know that there's a whole community of Dr.'s-to-be to direct my questions to. Thank you.

Punchap