Experience after application submission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hw13

Reaction score
Hi! I was wondering if anyone knows if we can add shadowing experience after submitting our application? And if not, how do you recommend we include that! I am planning on submitting my application before September but currently have an internship lined up for next February (after apps are due) but it will contribute to my LA experience greatly. Any advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I was wondering if anyone knows if we can add shadowing experience after submitting our application? And if not, how do you recommend we include that! I am planning on submitting my application before September but currently have an internship lined up for next February (after apps are due) but it will contribute to my LA experience greatly. Any advice is appreciated!
the internship would not be included for your experiences this cycle. You can’t put future experiences and can’t add to it after September 15th. If you want to add to LA experience, definitely get something in before september

Reactions: 1 user
I thought you’re able to add things but not edit things already there - as long as it’s before the deadline (even after submission ie if you submit earlier then the deadline).

I thought you’re able to add things but not edit things already there - as long as it’s before the deadline (even after submission ie if you submit earlier then the deadline).
yes you can do that as long as it’s before the deadline, but specifically for this post you lose access to your VMCAS in maybe November so that internship wouldn’t count for this upcoming cycle

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
While you probably can't add it to your VMCAS application, you may get an opportunity to bring it up elsewhere. If you have interviews, some will ask about any new experiences or updates since you submitted.
don't think any schools ask about future experiences in their supplemental applications, but if they do you can of course put it there.

Reactions: 3 users
Absolutely worth bringing up at a potential interview. I believe when I applied some schools would accept significant updates too, but I have no idea if that’s the case anymore and is likely school-dependent. Balance that with the possibility of looking desperate or a little extra neurotic…:)

I was told by a vet school I did an application review with that you can list experiences that you will have after the VMCAS is due and encouraged me to include my estimated hours for those experiences. So I highly recommend including hours/experiences that you know you will have past the VMCAS deadline.

I was told by a vet school I did an application review with that you can list experiences that you will have after the VMCAS is due and encouraged me to include my estimated hours for those experiences. So I highly recommend including hours/experiences that you know you will have past the VMCAS deadline.
Oh wow I wish I would’ve done this last September haha. I left off a lot of hours at my job 😅😂😂

• Care
I was told that you can add estimated hours but you can’t include experiences that start after the september deadline! For example, I had some research planned for October after my application was submitted and was told I wouldn’t be able to include that, but if I started it prior to the deadline, I would be able to add estimated hours for it!

I was told that you can add estimated hours but you can’t include experiences that start after the september deadline! For example, I had some research planned for October after my application was submitted and was told I wouldn’t be able to include that, but if I started it prior to the deadline, I would be able to add estimated hours for it!
It’s possible that the VMCAS app doesn’t let the start date be after the deadline for the application thus you wouldn’t be able to add those experiences. I somewhat remember having to wait for the start of a new job to add it to my app before submission. Thus, if this is still true that you can’t adjust the start date to be after submission then you will have to try and add to your app afterward. But I still highly encourage estimating your hours post-submission to give admissions an idea of how much work you will be putting into this job. There’s a lot of time between submission and interviews/application status updates and a lot of time to get hours.

I looked on the VMCAS help center and they say not to list any activities you haven't started with, and to only add the number of hours you've completed so far. When I applied, I had just started an internship that was going to last until December, so when I put it into VMCAS, I put the number of hours I'd completed at that point (making sure to wait just long enough to squeeze in a few more hours haha) and wrote at the end of my description that this was a full-time internship I would be participating in until December. That way schools can do the math if they feel like it, but if life hit the fan and I for some reason wasn't able to continue my internship, I wouldn't have been overexaggerating the number of hours I had actually done. I don't know if it truly matters either way, and if a vet school tells you to add all of your projected hours, they definitely know more than I do haha, but it's what I felt most comfortable with!