Expanding the Role of Mid-Levels in Pain...New Frontier or The Alamo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score

1676650088039.png

Members don't see this ad.

Both

Short term will help shortage

Long term their board will push for full independence

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
More lack of understanding from the ivory towers of how their ideas translate into the community setting.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there a gap in interventional pain management? Maybe in rural areas. You can't throw a book without hitting a pain doctor where I live.

Reactions: 3 users
Fyi the PI on this paper is not a doctor-doctor, he’s a clinical psychologist

Reactions: 5 users
This is exactly what many of us do currently. Utilize mid levels for minor follow ups. I don’t see anyone suggesting they be interventional on a widespread basis. It’s the CRNAs we need to watch out for

This is exactly what many of us do currently. Utilize mid levels for minor follow ups. I don’t see anyone suggesting they be interventional on a widespread basis. It’s the CRNAs we need to watch out for

No it is not that at all. It’s advocating a system where everything except for complex procedures and surgery is done by APP. This is trying to apply the clinical and business model of a truly unique institution that practices “destination medicine” to the rest of world.

CRNA, NP, PA … the end result is the same. It’s VERY simple, the more you let them do, the less need there is for a physician. You need to think about the long term impact of these decisions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
How many pain docs you know have their clinics run by midlevels and spend all their time in the fluoro suite stuffing stimulators and hardware into every patient convinced to do it?

There was a practice shut down for many things including fraud… they also incentivized their midlevels to crank out volume and pack the surgery schedule

How many pain docs you know have their clinics run by midlevels and spend all their time in the fluoro suite stuffing stimulators and hardware into every patient convinced to do it?

There was a practice shut down for many things including fraud… they also incentivized their midlevels to crank out volume and pack the surgery schedule
I used to think this was the exception…

No it is not that at all. It’s advocating a system where everything except for complex procedures and surgery is done by APP. This is trying to apply the clinical and business model of a truly unique institution that practices “destination medicine” to the rest of world.

CRNA, NP, PA … the end result is the same. It’s VERY simple, the more you let them do, the less need there is for a physician. You need to think about the long term impact of these decisions.

Reactions: 1 users