Expanded Scope of Practice in KY (close to becoming a reality)

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I actually think, if it went wider - which it won't, that it would be a far, far bigger issue for patients than it would be for Ophthalmologists. Frankly, my guess is that it's extremely expensive to purchase one of these lasers and that you'd have to either have substantial volume or a healthy income from other areas of your practice to support it.

O-MD/DOs are likely to have this volume (probably from lots of referrals from local FM, IM, etc) docs, and will also generate more revenue in other areas of the practice compared to an OD. What I'm getting at is it's probably a lot easier for a DO/MD to buy one of these lasers safely than it is an OD, because volume, word of mouth, and referrals are likely to be sparse in the beginning. I don't think it will really hurt the DO/MD's business. Frankly, call me naive, but I don't think that is the DO/MD agenda at all ... I think they're concerned because they know how much practice, skill, and knowledge it took to get them to the point of performing these operations, and they're concerned about the outcome when others (who haven't completed these residencies) want to do the same.

Also, there is absolutely nothing wrong with defending one's position or career on these forums. In my opinion, it wouldn't 'come off well' if they didn't. Why put 12 years of your life into something (undergrad, med school, residency) and then not defend it and the patients you worked so hard to serve?

I don't think you're naive. You just choose to see it that way and that is totally fine. I choose to believe it's primarily due to money. Also, I didn't say you couldn't or shouldn't post here. I did insinuate that the antagonistic back and forth here seemed a bit much especially since it hampers Optometrists from seeing and discussing any positives in it for themselves. I personally was interested to see what positives they thought this could mean for them, but I doubt if such a thread would even be possible without it being turned into something much less constructive.

On the issue itself, as a patient, I believe I would prefer to have surgery performed by someone that went to medical school. So actually I'm not questioning your position, but it really just came off more as picking a fight rather than defending a position and there is a difference.

Just for full disclosure, I don't have a stake in any of these fields at least in terms of working in them. I keep up to date on them for someone I know because they're interested in these fields. Therefore, if anything, you probably have more cause to post here than I do. That being said, I'm just struck by the level of negativity posted online for some of these professions especially Optometry. I found it odd that someone finally posts just a bit of news that may be somewhat positive for Optometrists and then it's quickly followed by a flood of negativity.

I've also noted the blurring of capabilities between some health professions. For example, Anesthesiologists and CRNAs. As well as Opticians, Optometrists, and Ophthalmologists. The back and forth can be fierce at times. I believe that the blurring of these lines is due to money and capitalism pure and simple, but again that's just my opinion. Looking at it from a human standpoint, I can understand why you would feel the need to defend your work. From an outside, money related standpoint, if they can get expanded abilities for themselves then they're free to try and do so. They're also free to talk about what it might mean to them in terms of positives without being jumped on and belittled.

Anyway, don't mind me. Carry on with the conversation.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you're naive. You just choose to see it that way and that is totally fine. I choose to believe it's primarily due to money. Also, I didn't say you couldn't or shouldn't post here. I did insinuate that the antagonistic back and forth here seemed a bit much especially since it hampers Optometrists from seeing and discussing any positives in it for themselves. I personally was interested to see what positives they thought this could mean for them, but I doubt if such a thread would even be possible without it being turned into something much less constructive.

On the issue itself, as a patient, I believe I would prefer to have surgery performed by someone that went to medical school. So actually I'm not questioning your position, but it really just came off more as picking a fight rather than defending a position and there is a difference.

Just for full disclosure, I don't have a stake in any of these fields at least in terms of working in them. I keep up to date on them for someone I know because they're interested in these fields. Therefore, if anything, you probably have more cause to post here than I do. That being said, I'm just struck by the level of negativity posted online for some of these professions especially Optometry. I found it odd that someone finally posts just a bit of news that may be somewhat positive for Optometrists and then it's quickly followed by a flood of negativity.

I've also noted the blurring of capabilities between some health professions. For example, Anesthesiologists and CRNAs. As well as Opticians, Optometrists, and Ophthalmologists. The back and forth can be fierce at times. I believe that the blurring of these lines is due to money and capitalism pure and simple, but again that's just my opinion. Looking at it from a human standpoint, I can understand why you would feel the need to defend your work. From an outside, money related standpoint, if they can get expanded abilities for themselves then they're free to try and do so. They're also free to talk about what it might mean to them in terms of positives without being jumped on and belittled.

Anyway, don't mind me. Carry on with the conversation.

I definitely didn't mean for it to feel antagonist in any way, but I think you may have caught the middle of the discussion, because it's actually been going on (and I've been actively participating) for a few days now (hence why it probably sounded bitter, caustic, etc).

Additionally, I really don't have a problem with evolving practice rights (I'm a DO student and wouldn't be on these boards without them), but here are my issues with a lot of these expansions:

1. They seem to expand scope before expanding training. Granted, many of these practitioners have worked within these fields for years and could likely handle these cases, but it's disheartening to hear things like ODs wanting to perform surgery, and then responses like "I assume there will be additional training." That just raises some red flags for me. I know some O-MDs, and I know the training is EXTENSIVE, so it just makes me nervous for the patient - not because of my ego or my wallet.

2. The stance, whenever these expansions are made, is always so anti-physician. In reality, physicians have very little lobbying power, and most are so diverse and focused within their own little microcosm, that it makes no sense to me to vilify them. The NP and CRNAs are the worst, but it just doesn't make sense to me. At my school, we continually discuss moving toward a 'team model' where all members of the team (from physicians to techs) are part of the greater good, respected, and play their own part. It's not like physicians want to sit alone at the top of some ivory tower and micromanage every aspect of health care.

However, every time one of these issues comes up, it's automatically touted as an opportunity to get away from the evil docs who are keeping you down, or any physicians who object are automatically labeled as big pharma money ****** who want to prevent things to line their own pockets. In reality, it has very little to do with individual decisions, and most of the time, I personally believe docs get defensive because patient care becomes an issue AND because the new practitioners want to take on a similar role (to the physician) without putting in the training it took to get there (which the docs know all too well since they were in the ones in residency).

Additionally, it's frustrating because when 'ish' hits the fan, it's the physicians (who were continually berated and belittled during the expansion campaigns) who are called to fix the mess. AND what's worse is that they come running, fix the situation, and life goes on. What's an ER physician or an O-MD called down to the ER for an emergent fix going to do - review the case, see an OD did the operation (note, this is a strict example and I'm in no way claiming that this will happen), and leave? Of course not. Frankly, it's illegal.

3. Patient care, understanding, and ability to make an informed decision always seem to fall to the side when these expansions occur. It's disheartening, but it always seems to get lost during all the bickering and push for the new system. You say that you'd personally want an O-MD/DO to perform your eye surgery, but if you were an 85 year old woman who just 'went to the eye doctor' and was told you needed surgery and could get it here ... would you really have the capacity to tell the difference? Even if you wanted the DO/MD, you probably wouldn't know, and this doesn't seem right to me.

4. I know it's just a reality of ... well, life ... but it always makes me skin crawl to see health care changes occurring because some scumbag politician was greased. Frankly, these people should have nothing to do with medicine, and I'm curious to see if the lawmakers who pass these expansions would request a CRNA or a board certified Anesthesiologist to perform the anesthetic on their love ones; an OD or residency trained ophthalmologist to perform surgery on themselves, etc.

I actually think, if it went wider - which it won't, that it would be a far, far bigger issue for patients than it would be for Ophthalmologists. Frankly, my guess is that it's extremely expensive to purchase one of these lasers and that you'd have to either have substantial volume or a healthy income from other areas of your practice to support it.

O-MD/DOs are likely to have this volume (probably from lots of referrals from local FM, IM, etc) docs, and will also generate more revenue in other areas of the practice compared to an OD. What I'm getting at is it's probably a lot easier for a DO/MD to buy one of these lasers safely than it is an OD, because volume, word of mouth, and referrals are likely to be sparse in the beginning. I don't think it will really hurt the DO/MD's business. Frankly, call me naive, but I don't think that is the DO/MD agenda at all ... I think they're concerned because they know how much practice, skill, and knowledge it took to get them to the point of performing these operations, and they're concerned about the outcome when others (who haven't completed these residencies) want to do the same.

Also, there is absolutely nothing wrong with defending one's position or career on these forums. In my opinion, it wouldn't 'come off well' if they didn't. Why put 12 years of your life into something (undergrad, med school, residency) and then not defend it and the patients you worked so hard to serve?

My thoughts exactly.

Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.kaiserhealthnews.org/Stories/2011/January/27/health-care-lobbying-spending-chart.aspx

I question how much lobbying power physicians have. The AOA must have just missed the list.

I do hope that if the bill gets passed the they do not let every optometrist do this. There needs to be training and certification. I could also understand if they used their new found ability to write there own rules to eliminate some of the things the bill allows. I truthfully believe optometrists deserve alot better treatment from their government. I feel they should be able to self regulate like so many other professions. I feel that if they are trained and show adequacy like doctors do, they should be allowed to do something.

http://www.kaiserhealthnews.org/Stories/2011/January/27/health-care-lobbying-spending-chart.aspx

I question how much lobbying power physicians have. The AOA must have just missed the list.

The misconception is that the AMA actually represents physicians or physician interest. Frankly, it does not and this is reflected in the fact that less than 20% of physicians (both MD and DO) are even part of the AMA, and doesn't even take into account the number who sign up for promotional purposes, to get a journal, etc. If you discuss the ideals of the AMA with those of the average physician, you'll usually find a big difference in ideology and resentment from the docs towards the AMA - that's what I've noticed at least.

The misconception is that the AMA actually represents physicians or physician interest. Frankly, it does not and this is reflected in the fact that less than 20% of physicians (both MD and DO) are even part of the AMA, and doesn't even take into account the number who sign up for promotional purposes, to get a journal, etc. If you discuss the ideals of the AMA with those of the average physician, you'll usually find a big difference in ideology and resentment from the docs towards the AMA - that's what I've noticed at least.

I am curious if you think you should introduce yourself as a DO and NOT an MD ?

I am curious if you think you should introduce yourself as a DO and NOT an MD ?

Huh? I don't understand. I'm at an osteopathic medical school ... of course I'll introduce myself as a D.O. when asked. I assume that 99% of the time though I'll say "Hi, I'm Dr. JaggerPlate" with the JaggerPlate, D.O. displayed on my white coat.

I'm still waiting for some of the more intelligent Optometrists to post in this thread.

KHE? Ben?

And having this discussion in this forum is absolutely necessary. It's not about "whining" but about educating people about the two sides of this issue. Every detail should be discussed. Facts vs fallacies need to be seperated. Only then can a logical conclusion be reached.

Meibomian, if your mother/father needed a YAG capsulotomy next week. Who would you send them to? An OD with a new license to perform said procedure (b/c of this KY bill) or an ophthalmologist? Be honest. Don't give me a roundabout BS answer.

Ok, I breezed through the proposed reg and I don't see where all the surgery is? At first brush it looked like oral meds and independent oversight. We can argue about those if you like, but could you first show me where it says OD can do surgery.

Just read the bill. I will give a run down on what it will let you guys do. This is a serious post.

1. ALT, SLT, YAG capsulotomy, PRK, Laser lens extraction, + additional laser procedures
2. “Scalpel procedures” with some exceptions
3. Prescribe all medications except for narcotics/marijuana… Ability to deliver all medicines by any route (injection in or around the eye, IV, PO)
4. Provide any type of anesthesia except for general anesthesia

Not sure why you guys are not able to perform your own general anesthesia yet.

1) it specifically excludes PRK, I've never even heard of laser lens extraction (so that's moot), and as far as alt or slt, I just don't see that written anywhere

2) I don't even see the word "scalpel" being used in the reg? where does it say that?

3)I see some oral meds listed, but it specifically says "topical anesthesia only", I take that to mean drops (which we already use)

Wow..if what you say is true, re: majority of MD's/DO's not supporting the AMA, then that would change my perception of MDs/DO's for the better.

Do you have any sources?

1) it specifically excludes PRK, I've never even heard of laser lens extraction (so that's moot), and as far as alt or slt, I just don't see that written anywhere

2) I don't even see the word "scalpel" being used in the reg? where does it say that?

3)I see some oral meds listed, but it specifically says "topical anesthesia only", I take that to mean drops (which we already use)

A legislative tactic I've seen used before for OD scope expansion (my dad was a politically active OD) is to write a bill that asks for lots of stuff. As it goes through committees, it will get more restrictive so that the final version will be more along the lines of what was wanted to begin with.

But, to answer you three bullet points I'm going to directly quote from another thread that has the bill in its entirety.

1) 2. Employing vision therapy or orthoptics, low vision rehabilitation, and laser surgery procedures, excluding retina, LASIK, and PRK.

There is then a list of things that will not be allowed, and ALT/ALT/YAG aren't on there. The only limitations I see on laser work are a) refractive or b) anything in the posterior capsule to treat retinal/macular disease.

2) As I'm not an eye expert, I'm not sure what surgical procedures are being left out of the exclusion list. Whether or not a scalpel would be used for this is likewise out of my area of expertise.

3) Any therapeutically certified optometrist licensed under the provisions of this subsection shall be authorized to prescribe oral medications except controlled substances classified in Schedules I and II for any condition which an optometrist is authorized to treat under the provisions of this chapter

You're right about only be permitted topical anesthetics.

Here's the thing, at least from my perspective. As I'm not an ophthalmologist, I don't really have a dog in this fight from a personal stand point. My concern is that all these changes are being suggested before there's a training model in place to teach you guys how to properly do all of this stuff. We in medicine don't know how many of each of these procedures you do. Is it standardized across all schools? Is there a certain amount required to graduate?

To be a family doctor, I have to prove in residency that I'm competent to do every procedure that I desire to. To do circumcisions as an attending, I have to do X number during my training. For colonoscopies, the number is 120. For vaginal deliveries, the number is at least 40 though many hospitals require more. There is also a set number of patients I have to see in both inpatient and outpatient settings.

I, for one, would be much less inclined to care about this bill if there were something like that already in place in OD school (if there is, please correct me). What I don't like is getting this bill passed and THEN figuring out the training.

I, for one, would be much less inclined to care about this bill if there were something like that already in place in OD school (if there is, please correct me). What I don't like is getting this bill passed and THEN figuring out the training.

just playing devils advocate here, but it seems like a chicken or the egg scenario. If OD schools want to train on certain laser procedures, then they would need to legally able to do so. Hence legislation.

Members don't see this ad :)
just playing devils advocate here, but it seems like a chicken or the egg scenario. If OD schools want to train on certain laser procedures, then they would need to legally able to do so. Hence legislation.

In a sense this is true, but the problem is that the bill doesn't include any mention of increased training. Legalizing it without defining the new training is what's troubling, because technically if it passes, an OD can start performing these procedures tomorrow without any additional education. However, if the bill pushed for expansion AND defined the training and certification necessary ... it would seem a lot safer/more organized and satisfy both the conundrum of training/legality. To my knowledge, this bill does not do this.

In a sense this is true, but the problem is that the bill doesn't include any mention of increased training. Legalizing it without defining the new training is what's troubling, because technically if it passes, an OD can start performing these procedures tomorrow without any additional education. However, if the bill pushed for expansion AND defined the training and certification necessary ... it would seem a lot safer/more organized and satisfy both the conundrum of training/legality. To my knowledge, this bill does not do this.

other then some vague references to "board approval" or "proper certification", etc, I agree it does not spell out what specific training will be required. I'm just not sure (and I seriously doubt) that translates into "ODs starting tommorrow without any additional education", but I could be wrong.

That's a fair point. I guess it boils down to either having an OD from OK come in to teach vs. having an MD teach it. If its the latter, his/her license should allow an OD to do it if supervised properly.

My understanding is it isn't up to the legislature to come up with training/educational requirements - that's up to the boards, who are assumed will take on that responsibility, responsibly.

I understand that certain groups are looking at this as an assault on patient safety, so if this bill were to pass in Kentucky, I can guarantee the first Optometrist to screw up will be burned in effigy. This will be the end to any further scope expansion in Kentucky and the other 49 states for that matter. Thus fulfilling the desire of many of the opponents of Optometric scope expansion. I do think there is something to be said for the fact that this very scenario has occurred many times before in many states with Optometric scope expansion bills, with the same dire predictions, and the problem has been that those who cried wolf so far seem to continue to cry wolf.

Do the opponents of Optometric scope expansion really believe that those in the Optometric profession making these decisions would be so stupid as to propose a scope expansion that could potentially end all subsequent scope expansion in the United States if they were not comfortable in the knowledge that it would not come back to bite them severely.

My understanding is it isn't up to the legislature to come up with training/educational requirements - that's up to the boards, who are assumed will take on that responsibility, responsibly.

I literally cannot count on both hands the number of times I've heard the word "assume" when discussing this issue and the training that will take place with scope expansion. It's disheartening to say the least.

I don't want to restart any flame wars, but until these assumptions are more than subjective opinions, I wouldn't take my loved ones to an OD for surgery because I "assume" the outcome is too uncertain at this point.

.....Meibomian, if your mother/father needed a YAG capsulotomy next week. Who would you send them to? An OD with a new license to perform said procedure (b/c of this KY bill) or an ophthalmologist? Be honest. Don't give me a roundabout BS answer.

In all honesty, if the OD diagnosed my parents with a PCO, educated them about it and offered treatment option(s); then my parents would feel comfortable with the OD doing the surgery.

Some patients may ask "How many of these procedures have you performed?", but most patients do not. If they have an initial trust for you then there is no need to ask. They see Dr. Meibomian and that's qualification enough.

Some patients may ask "How many of these procedures have you performed?", but most patients do not. If they have an initial trust for you then there is no need to ask. They see Dr. Meibomian and that's qualification enough.

Most patients probably assume that when you advertise yourself as some sort of eye surgeon, that you've been through the proper training channels and don't feel the need to ask.

However, if most of them knew that a bill allowing you to perform surgery wasn't passed until 2011 when you were already a practicing optometrist and were, for all intents and purposes, done training ... they might have a few more questions.

Again though, disheartening to see the comfort level with regard to a lack of patient understanding. They're the ones who will suffer, but as long as you feel confident/recognized and have what 'you deserve' ...

Optometrists should not be confused with ophthalmologists or dispensing opticians. Ophthalmologists are physicians who perform eye surgery, as well as diagnose and treat eye diseases and injuries. Like optometrists, they also examine eyes and prescribe eyeglasses and contact lenses. Dispensing opticians fit and adjust eyeglasses and, in some States, may fit contact lenses according to prescriptions written by ophthalmologists or optometrists.

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos073.htm

"Like other physicians, optometrists encourage preventative measures by promoting nutrition and hygiene education to their patients to minimize the risk of eye disease."

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos073.htm

Try reading the whole article on bls.gov next time, k thanks. I guess you are so stuck up in memorizing a whole phone book of useless facts that you will probably never end up using in your actual life as a physician that you do not see the big picture. Face it, early specialization is the future. You will continue to see scope of practice expansions.

Neuroplasticity of the young mind > "I've been in school for 12 years for this"

Also optometrists are regarded as physicians by federal law, check medicare and medicaid.

In all honesty, if the OD diagnosed my parents with a PCO, educated them about it and offered treatment option(s); then my parents would feel comfortable with the OD doing the surgery.

Nonsense.

I can diagnose a brain tumor by finding it on a CT scan. I can educate my patient at great length about the tumor as well.

That does NOT qualify me to perform brain surgery on my patient. (This is an extreme example meant solely to illustrate a point).

Similarily, you would not allow some newbie OD to fire away at your mom's IOL knowing full well the OD is a novice at YAGs. If you did, you're a bad son, sir. Plain and simple.

Nonsense.

I can diagnose a brain tumor by finding it on a CT scan. I can educate my patient at great length about the tumor as well.

That does NOT qualify me to perform brain surgery on my patient. (This is an extreme example meant solely to illustrate a point).

Similarily, you would not allow some newbie OD to fire away at your mom's IOL knowing full well the OD is a novice at YAGs. If you did, you're a bad son, sir. Plain and simple.

I actually have to agree with DOCTORSAIB here, well said sir. Without proper residencies/education OD's shouldn't even consider surgery. And overall I don't think they ever should unless we vertically integrate professions. We should do everything UP TO and not including surgeries (except for simple stuff like corneal foreign body removal)

Nonsense.

I've diagnosed brain tumors before. The patients know I am not a brain surgeon ut definitely respect my opinions.

I have diagnosed corneal foreign bodies peripheral, central and stromal. I educate the patients and they can easily say "I prefer to have the eye surgeon remove it." And some have. That is their choice and I am not mad at them.

The same could be said about you. Why have my YAG done by a new ophthalmologist when I could have Dr. Zap do it; who has been in practice for 30years?

When I was on a flight and the staff asked was a doctor on board, I could have easily just turned the other way. But I got up and offered emergency care, even though I am not a board certified ER physician.

In the end, it all comes down to trust.

I actually have to agree with DOCTORSAIB here, well said sir. Without proper residencies/education OD's shouldn't even consider surgery. And overall I don't think they ever should unless we vertically integrate professions. We should do everything UP TO and not including surgeries (except for simple stuff like corneal foreign body removal)

Remember: U+D=V. That's all that should concern you at this point...

As a student in NYC, a state where ODs can not even prescribe oral meds, I think you of all people should wait until you study OcBio, let alone examine a patient before chiming in on what ODs are trained to do.

I guess you are so stuck up in memorizing a whole phone book of useless facts that you will probably never end up using in your actual life as a physician that you do not see the big picture.

I truly don't think patients see it this way ... that's what matters. Categorizing medical education as route memorization or 'useless' shows a general lack of understanding of the curriculum/what physicians do.

Additionally, physician = MD/DO. You know it; I know it ... no point in arguing it any further (and I'm not interested in doing so).

Face it, early specialization is the future. You will continue to see scope of practice expansions.

Maybe in certain areas of health care ... I struggle to see how to make other medical fields 'early specialized' areas. Frankly, I think you'd have a hard time explaining to someone that a field like Neurosurgery should be on the same level as something like Optometry ... and that I should start honing my brain surgery skills on day 1 of medical school.

Also, I have no doubt that groups will continue pushing for expanded scope without expanded training. As I said before, it's essentially just a drive to bandage insecurity, milk a niche market, and attract more applicants to health science schools. However, I'm not sure how good it is for patients.

I guess only time will tell (unfortunately)

Also optometrists are regarded as physicians by federal law, check medicare and medicaid.

I showed you federal law. It clearly separated the term physician (MD/DO) from Optometrists. Additionally, it went even further to clarify the difference between a physician eye doctor (Ophthalmologist) and an Optometrist. My guess is that the 'like other physician' line you showed me was a mistake. I actually found a few small, most likely clerical errors in the labor statistics site as well, but I highly doubt classifying physicians as DO/MD alone was one of them.

Additionally, I've reviewed the medicare information, and in certain instances, it seems like the term physician was 'revamped' in 2009 to include dentists, optometrists, chiropractors, and podiatrists ONLY in terms of who can/cannot opt out of medicare services. By this definition, I suppose you can say ODs are included as physicians, but then you'd have to say the same for chiropractors and dentists, which seems very odd to me ... but it seems far more likely that medicare is simply using this definition for purposes of opting out of their insurance plan.

Additionally, here's what they had to say regarding the definition of 'physician services:'

Services provided by an individual licensed under state law to practice medicine or osteopathy. Physician services given while in the hospital that appear on the hospital bill are not included.

Last edited:
The same could be said about you. Why have my YAG done by a new ophthalmologist when I could have Dr. Zap do it; who has been in practice for 30years?

Argument doesn't hold up when they both trained in the same model (medical school -> Ophthalmology residency) and are certified by the same national medical boards.

When I was on a flight and the staff asked was a doctor on board, I could have easily just turned the other way. But I got up and offered emergency care, even though I am not a board certified ER physician.

:eek:

I wonder if a Ph.D should stand up and do the same?

From the American Osteopathic Association (2/22):

AOA President Karen J. Nichols, DO, wrote to the Speaker of the Kentucky House of Representatives on 2/16/11 to express the AOA’s opposition to SB 110, a bill that would authorize optometrists to perform surgery and administer injectable drugs. It is the AOA’s position that the optometric education track does not provide practitioners with the medical knowledge or the clinical experience required to perform the surgical procedures authorized in the bill, and we urged lawmakers to vote against it. To further our cause, AOA Trustee Boyd R. Buser, DO, along with several fellow medical leaders from Kentucky, met with “Bluegrass State” Governor Steve Beshear on 2/21/11 to urge him to veto this expansion of optometrists’ scope of practice. Dr. Buser reports that Governor Beshear was very interested and attentive in the information presented by the physicians. The AOA will also follow up with this meeting by sending a formal letter to Gov. Beshear.​

AOA President Karen J. Nichols, DO, wrote to the Speaker of the Kentucky House of Representatives on 2/16/11 to express the AOA’s opposition to SB 110, a bill that would authorize optometrists to perform surgery and administer injectable drugs. It is the AOA’s position that the optometric education track does not provide practitioners with the medical knowledge or the clinical experience required to perform the surgical procedures authorized in the bill, and we urged lawmakers to vote against it. To further our cause, AOA Trustee Boyd R. Buser, DO, along with several fellow medical leaders from Kentucky, met with “Bluegrass State” Governor Steve Beshear on 2/21/11 to urge him to veto this expansion of optometrists’ scope of practice. Dr. Buser reports that Governor Beshear was very interested and attentive in the information presented by the physicians. The AOA will also follow up with this meeting by sending a formal letter to Gov. Beshear.​

If you're so worried about patient safety, why not petition the FDA? Seems they do more harm than all optometrists combined...

No worries, I'm sure the governor got some of that $450K. I don't see him reneging on that.

If you're so worried about patient safety, why not petition the FDA? Seems they do more harm than all optometrists combined...

Have they started shooting lasers into people's eyes???

Why wouldn't I be worried/concerned about patient safety. As cliche as it sounds, it's technically all of our collective jobs to treat these individuals as safely and effectively as possible.

No worries, I'm sure the governor got some of that $450K. I don't see him reneging on that.

Wow ... just wow.

Argument doesn't hold up when they both trained in the same model (medical school -> Ophthalmology residency) and are certified by the same national medical boards.

Is your position that optometrists are incapable of learning how to perform these procedures into perpetuity and should therefore never be allowed to?

Anyways - the reality is, MDs always predict doom and gloom whenever there is a discussion about expansion of OD scope. It happened with mydriacyl, then with TPAs, then with FB removal, and now with lasers/minor surgery.

The reality is, once things are passed, the professions will all still continue to chug along, patients will get taken care of, and everyone will continue to move into the future. Do you think in 10 years, after 10 years of having this Kentucky legislation, that you'll still be on these forums complaining about the risk ODs are to their "minor surgery" patients? Why not start complaining about the fact ODs are using mydriacyl, just as your forefathers did 20 years ago? Hey, ODs are using mydriacyl!! It sure got your preceptor up in arms 20 years ago, why doesn't it concern you today? Whatever risks (e.g. death) your preceptors claimed existed 20 years ago still apply! Maybe it's cause ODs aren't as inherently incompetent/incapable at performing medicine as you make them out to be.

Hey - did you know that in certain countries without optometrists (these would be countries with what we kinda know as "refracting opticians"), these R.O.s have to fight for the right to dispense contact lenses (e.g. Acuvue daily disposables)? In these countries, only OMDs are legally allowed to dispense CLs because they are classified as medical devices and OMDs argue having R.O.s dispense them is a threat to the public (patients will go blind, patients will die, etc.). On a side note, do you think any OMDs in these countries actually dispense the lenses? (Answer: No - it's their in-house techs who do, obviously) But the point is, these scope battles are just a matter of context.

Anyways, the one thing you can be sure of is that legislation will occur and professions will evolve. Even in a world of OD cataract surgeons, there will still be room for OMDs, so don't worry about that.

Last edited:
Is your position that optometrists are incapable of learning how to perform these procedures into perpetuity and should therefore never be allowed to?

Absolutely not. My position is that as of now, I don't see how ODs (in the current model) are trained to perform eye surgery at the level of a board certified Ophthalmologist. Additionally, I don't see any mention of expanded training laid out in the bill ... only expanded scope. People continually speculate on how the increased training will come into play, but until I see objective proof, I don't think it's a good idea to make the surgeries legal tomorrow.

I'm not against evolution, and I'm not against an integrated, medical team based model, but I just don't think this expansion or bill is laid out well ... at all. Additionally, I've heard the same opinion echoed numerous times from OD students and practicing ODs on this board.

Anyways - the reality is, MDs always predict doom and gloom whenever there is a discussion about expansion of OD scope.

Agreed. DO/MDs are continually doom and gloom with regard to just about everything happening in the state of health care. However, at various instances, I can't blame them. It's frustrating to gain a level of proficiency at a very intimate and skilled task through years of appropriate, regulated training and then see groups try to obtain the same via slick politics and a proficient lobbying group. Especially when it's happening on so many fronts -CRNAs, DNPs, ODs, DCs, etc.

The reality is, once things are passed, the professions will all still continue to chug along, patients will get taken care of, and everyone will continue to move into the future. Do you think in 10 years, after 10 years of having this Kentucky legislation, that you'll still be on these forums complaining about the risk ODs are to their "minor surgery" patients?

It depends on how those 10 years play out. If the outcome of the scope expansion is not advantageous to patient care, of course I'll still rally against it. Why wouldn't I? Furthermore, if ODs use it as a platform to push for more and more expanded scope - without expanded training, then I'll keep opposing it a decade later or 50 years later.

Scope expansion without appropriate thought, consideration, and training is not the same thing as evolution. Don't confuse the two for a second. Additionally, I'll always oppose expansion without cause (money and healing insecurities isn't a cause) and always be open to the idea of evolution and integration because, like you said, that's simply a reality.

Why not start complaining about the fact ODs are using mydriacyl, just as your forefathers did 20 years ago? Hey, ODs are using mydriacyl!! It sure got your preceptor up in arms 20 years ago, why doesn't it concern you today? Whatever risks (e.g. death) your preceptors claimed existed 20 years ago still apply! Maybe it's cause ODs aren't as inherently incompetent/incapable at performing medicine as you make them out to be.

If you truthfully think the inability to administer eye drops (if that's the example you're using here) and restrictions on who performs laser surgery are on the same level ... then that's interesting. However, I feel like you're reaching here, and the 'expansion' from lots of restriction to letting you administer eye drops (er whatever) isn't the same an expansion into laser eye surgery. Plain and simple. Reserve these types of arguments and technicalities for the JDs.

Hey - did you know that in certain countries without optometrists (these would be countries with what we kinda know as "refracting opticians"), these R.O.s have to fight for the right to dispense contact lenses (e.g. Acuvue daily disposables)? In these countries, only OMDs are legally allowed to dispense CLs because they are classified as medical devices and OMDs argue having R.O.s dispense them is a threat to the public (patients will go blind, patients will die, etc.). On a side note, do you think any OMDs in these countries actually dispense the lenses? (Answer: No - it's their in-house techs who do, obviously) But the point is, these scope battles are just a matter of context.

1. I didn't know this
2. It's completely unrelated to the argument at hand (you're going for shock factor here)
3. This isn't the case in US - which is what we're talking about. If we lived in a country where you couldn't dispense contacts ... that's one discussion. If we lived in a country where you had all the rights and privileges withheld above and STILL wanted to dabble in laser eye surgery ... we'll that's a different discussion altogether, and I'm happy to discuss THAT topic.

Anyways, the one thing you can be sure of is that legislation will occur and professions will evolve. Even in a world of OD cataract surgeons, there will still be room for OMDs, so don't worry about that.

Here's my problem - I have not ONCE stated that I don't want physicians to lose patients or that I'm concerned about how DO/MDs will have to position themselves/compete in some sort of 'free' market (though the term never really applies to health services regardless). What I've said time and time again is that my concern is twofold:

1. Patients undergoing laser eye surgeries with practitioners who have not sufficiently trained to do so - because the model was passed in 2011 and most practicing ODs graduated years before, not because they don't have the capability to do so (this doesn't even take into consideration that technically, it's legal to do the operations under the new law and I'm not even sure if an OD would have to undergo training if they didn't want to).

2. Calling oneself an 'eye surgeon' or telling a patient that the procedure can be performed in the office is confusing as I'm sure 99% of individuals think that eye surgeries are performed by individuals who went to medical school and completed a surgical residency. It's confusing, and this lack of transparency isn't fair - especially in a demographic where a lot of older individuals, even if they prefer the DO/MD, will just get the procedure done where you tell them to.

It's the same scenario when a CRNA walks into an OR and says 'hi, I'll be performing your anesthesia today' and the patient calmly assumes it's a certified anesthesiologist they are talking to.

Frankly, the ODs on the forums are the only individuals I've heard talk about this expansion as some sort of business venture where competition and volume, not efficacy and treatment are the crucial terms.

To me, that sounds like a group which feels entitled to something, or DESERVES to be recognized as something else, not a group who really feels like this will help integrate a better model of patient care or serve the underserved.

If you truthfully think the inability to administer eye drops (if that's the example you're using here) and restrictions on who performs laser surgery are on the same level ... then that's interesting.

If you'd like to live in your little world and believe that your interpretation of my words is your evidence of my surgical ignorance, then I certainly can't stop you.

For the rest of us, I brought up the pharmaceutical battle reference as an example that OMDs play chicken-little every time an optometrist-scope expansion debate comes up. You may say surgery is a totally different matter, but 20 years ago, your preceptor told congress that patients would die if ODs were given the authority to use mydriacyl. Perhaps I'm not as medically-inclined as you, but I can't think of a worse complication than death. Yet despite the allowance for optometrists to prescribe meds, none of the death/blindness prognostications from OMDs have come to light. The eyecare industry still continues to go forward, and people continue to see and get cared for.

Reserve these types of arguments and technicalities for the JDs.

You got it here.

Whether you, or I, or organized optometry, or organized ophthalmology, or patients, or the public, or the non public, etc., like it or not, the bottom line is scope is determined by law. You (and I) can complain all we want about justice/injustice/fairness/education/training/standards/scope, but it is the lawmakers who decide what everyone can or can't do. If you aren't happy about what ODs can or can't do, then the way to change it is to convince the lawmakers of your opinion. It's not about ethics, it's about getting the lawmakers to vote in ways favorable to you.

That's how the game is played. That's law and that's life. If you don't like that this is how things are done, then get yourself elected President of the United States and make the changes you desire.

I'll also say there is a reason why the organized optometry lobby has been so effective. When lawmakers bring themselves, or their 80 year-old grandmothers to see the local optometrist in RuralTown, USA to get that FB removal or epilation done by a kind, friendly, unrushed optometrist in a 30-minute exam, the optometrist gets to educate the patient that ODs are capable of removing that offending eyelash (or FB, or minor surgery, or whatever), and there's no reason for the lawmaker to drive himself or his 80 year-old frail grandmother across 3 counties to the area ophthalmologist for a 3-hour wait and 3-minute appointment to do the same thing. It becomes a personal crusade for the lawmaker, and a tough battle for OMDs to win.

I'll be honest here. If I was an OMD, I'd also be upset if ODs expanded their scope. But I'd have to admit that certain aspects of eyecare really CAN be done by non-ophthalmolgists - which is why there is the "problem" to begin with. You don't need to go to medical school to prescribe mydriacyl. As for how far this line goes, who knows? I guess that's where the debate lies.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
:eek:

I wonder if a Ph.D should stand up and do the same?

I find you to be slightly ignorant and egotistical. As a health care provider, we are more than capable to handle/stabilize a patient in an emergency situation. I am disappointed, although not surprised, that an MD will consistently put down a 'so called' inferior health care provider. As professionals, I would expect some sort of respect for each other's expertise. Quite frankly, I am getting tired of the "I'm an MD, so that makes me king of the world" attitude.

As for ODs performing minor surgeries, I agree that there needs to be certain qualifying licensure and training added into the bill. Please correct me if I am wrong as I am not 100% positive on this, it is my understanding that a school can only teach or add material into its curriculum only if it is currently legal in its state. For example, if it is not legal to perform these certain surgeries in NY, it will never be taught at SUNY. Therefore, it needs to become legal in order to teach it. So now it comes down to the question.. If ODs are properly trained and qualified to perform these minor surgeries, would the same reservations exist? And if so, is it because the ODs are stepping on the 'superior's' toes?

I find you to be slightly ignorant and egotistical. As a health care provider, we are more than capable to handle/stabilize a patient in an emergency situation. I am disappointed, although not surprised, that an MD will consistently put down a 'so called' inferior health care provider. As professionals, I would expect some sort of respect for each other's expertise. Quite frankly, I am getting tired of the "I'm an MD, so that makes me king of the world" attitude.

I find your observation skills lazy and underdeveloped ... (just kidding :D)

I'm not a MD ... I'm a DO student, and answer the following question honestly:

When the flight attendant asked 'is there a doctor on board' do you think she was referring to an Optometrist? If you were in an emergent situation, would you want an optometrist operating the AED?

The comment kind of added a lot of weight to the idea of expansion having (in some sense) to do with ODs proving themselves as 'real doctors' or showing that they deserve every bit as much clout/rights as a DO/MD.

Furthermore, are you qualified to handle an emergency situation such as cardiac arrest (for example) on an airplane?

When looking over an example OD curriculum, I see no courses whatsoever that even deal with this type of medical emergency:

http://www.scco.edu/academicprograms/curriculum.html

However, when compared to a medical school curriculum:

http://www.atsu.edu/kcom/pdfs/catalog.pdf

I see courses pre-clinical courses in electrophysiology, biochemstry courses with an emphasis in clinical medicine, cardiology units, and I also see 3/4 year clinical rotations in fields like emergency medicine, internal medicine, surgery, anesthesiology, internal medicine selective (cardiology), etc.

Additionally, I also note that completing this curriculum gives the new physician the opportunity to complete an intern year followed by residencies in fields like emergency medicine, internal medicine -> cardiology, critical care medicine, trauma surgery, anesthesiology, etc, etc.

Truth be told ...

1. I wasn't trying to be offensive ... just make a point

2. Someone like an EMT would be 10x better than 90% of doctoral health care providers in that situation (DO and MD included)

3. My point with the above information is that once again, it seems to me like A LOT of this situation evolves from some urge to be recognized as a doctor, surgeon, physician, and things like patient care and whether or not these actions are safe and advantageous (or if they just fill a personal void) are falling to the side.

Is an OD qualified to tend to an emergent situation on an airplane. Eh, probably. When the flight attendant asked 'is there a doctor on board,' was it pretty clear that she was referring to a medical doctor/physician and that it possibly wasn't the best place for an OD to jump up and proclaim 'I'M A DOCTOR,' despite how 'deserved' it may have felt??? Most likely. And again, that is what this situation feels like - 'I DESERVE to perform eye surgeries, and anyone who disagrees is a bully holding me back.'

As for ODs performing minor surgeries, I agree that there needs to be certain qualifying licensure and training added into the bill. Please correct me if I am wrong as I am not 100% positive on this, it is my understanding that a school can only teach or add material into its curriculum only if it is currently legal in its state. For example, if it is not legal to perform these certain surgeries in NY, it will never be taught at SUNY. Therefore, it needs to become legal in order to teach it. So now it comes down to the question.. If ODs are properly trained and qualified to perform these minor surgeries, would the same reservations exist? And if so, is it because the ODs are stepping on the 'superior's' toes?

That could be true ... I personally haven't heard that, but it makes sense. However, I still don't think there is any sort of rule against outlining how the education would expand (even if it's some unofficial announcement from the Optometry society in Kentucky), and this is what's definitely missing for me.

...I'm not a MD ... I'm a DO student, and answer the following question honestly:

When the flight attendant asked 'is there a doctor on board' do you think she was referring to an Optometrist? If you were in an emergent situation, would you want an optometrist operating the AED?....

By doctor, the flight staff was referring to someone capable of assessing the situation and make a determination of whether the plane needs to be landed or if the patient is stable enough to make it to the destination.

AEDs are self explanatory, so your point is moot.

Furthermore, are you qualified to handle an emergency situation such as cardiac arrest (for example) on an airplane?

I am ACLS certified and certified to use an AED. Are you?

When looking over an example OD curriculum, I see no courses whatsoever that even deal with this type of medical emergency:

Why are you so intrigued with medical school? Seems like Conrad Murray, MD knew how to perform CPR on MJ (on a soft bed and inproper technique?). And he was a IV cardio doc! Is this the training you all receive in school?

Its ok, you're still wet behind the ears. I've been there too.

Truth be told .....Is an OD qualified to tend to an emergent situation on an airplane. Eh, probably. When the flight attendant asked 'is there a doctor on board,' was it pretty clear that she was referring to a medical doctor/physician and that it possibly wasn't the best place for an OD to jump up and proclaim 'I'M A DOCTOR,' despite how 'deserved' it may have felt???

After helping the patient with their hypertensive/diabetic crisis (twice actually), I had to provide my license, DEA license etc to show who I am. I felt such a liability afterwards.

Did I get a free airline ticket? Free 1st class seat? Free towlette? Anything? No! Only a profuse thank you from the family and a head nod from the staff after making sure they covered their asses by getting my info.

Had I bragged that I was "only an optometrist" I'm sure the Kentucky bill would have BEEN come to pass! :xf:

I As a health care provider, we are more than capable to handle/stabilize a patient in an emergency situation.

You must be joking. How much time have you spent in an ER? Most ophthalmologists are not comfortable dealing with a crashing patient, but you are? Please!

It seems someone is scared s*** that ophthals are going to lose patients to optoms if this bill is passed.

Ophthals are drumming up the fact that all they are worried about is patient safety but it goes without saying that if this bill is passed then optometric training would also improve to take in this additional responsibility.

I'm really beginning to think that the ONLY reason all the DO and MDs voicing their objections to this bill is because they're afraid that optoms are starting to step onto their turf and hence reduce their INCOME. They're just hiding behind the safety issues as a facade

By doctor, the flight staff was referring to someone capable of assessing the situation and make a determination of whether the plane needs to be landed or if the patient is stable enough to make it to the destination.

Lol ... I'm sure when she said 'Is there a doctor on board,' what she meant was 'is there a health practitioner on board who is capable of assessing the situation and making a determination as to whether or not the plane needs to land.'

Definitely.

It seems someone is scared s*** that ophthals are going to lose patients to optoms if this bill is passed.

Ophthals are drumming up the fact that all they are worried about is patient safety but it goes without saying that if this bill is passed then optometric training would also improve to take in this additional responsibility.

I'm really beginning to think that the ONLY reason all the DO and MDs voicing their objections to this bill is because they're afraid that optoms are starting to step onto their turf and hence reduce their INCOME. They're just hiding behind the safety issues as a facade

Again, it seems ironic to me that every MD/DO thus far has said that ODs simply don't have the surgical training and it's bad for patients, and every OD has bragged about donation money, how happy they are the bill is passing, how they deserve it, and yet somehow the physicians are the ones who are focused on the business aspect of the situation?? Hmm.

Additionally, I guarantee it won't affect Ophthalmologists business in any significant way whatsoever. Like I said before, the ODs probably won't have the start up volume to pay for one of these lasers, and every FM, ER, IM doc who's been referring to Ophthalmologists for surgeries for 10 years isn't suddenly going to start sending the surgical patients to ODs.

If you want to call it a facade ... then I think DO/MDs have just as much right to call the 'expansion to help practice to the full extent of the license and serve those in rural communities, underserved, better integrate care, etc' just as big of a lie. You really think the situation on your end isn't about money???

Furthermore, more anecdotes about how the training is going to change. Maybe if we lash them altogether, we can make objective facts!!!

I've largely stayed out of this debate because it's filled with the usual tedium that these threads generate but I'm going to step in and say a few things here....

1) There is no demand for optometric surgery of any type in any part of the country. This bill is not about optometrists doing YAGs or LASIK or PIs.

2) I don't understand fully the situation in Kentucky and the politics surrounding it but one of the complaints I'm seeing from mostly MD students is that the bill allows for procedures first and training second and they think that's a bad thing.

Let's be real honest with ourselves. If optometry produced a program which produced tremendous ophthalmic surgeons....let's for a moment pretend that this hypothetical program produced even BETTER surgeons than ophthalmology.....ophthalmology would STILL oppose it because it's not traditional allopathic medical school.

But that's not even the most annoying thing about it. What I find annoying and insulting is that people actually think that if this bill were signed into law tomorrow and optometrists WERE allowed to do all these procedures that optometrists in Kentucky would immediately start running around the state all willy-nilly, recklessly slashing and zapping the eyes of Kentuckians everywhere.

That's ridiculous.

Quite frankly, I don't think that any optometrists are going to be doing any of these procedures because I do not believe that this bill is about procedures. But even so, no optometrist would engage in any act that they did not feel that they could provide the highest level of care possible. You don't see ophthamologists running around doing spinal fusions and Wipples even though they have they have an unrestricted medical license. To think that optometrists could not be just as responsible is insulting.

Gov. Steve Beshear signs optometry bill

It has passed into official law!

At SUNY we are taught full ocular pharmacology that can be prescribed in any of the 50 states. Also we have dismembered cadavers to practice on. I believe that we are taught everything that anybody else is taught in any other college of optometry because the ophthalmologists with their unrestricted medical licenses supervise us. I don't know the specifics yet about the surgeries, I would have to email and ask but I heard optometry students also practice on monkeys as well over here.

We have ophthalmologists as instructors and we have a refractive surgery center where we get a 40% discount if we wish to indulge in LASIK or other surgery.

At SUNY we are taught full ocular pharmacology that can be prescribed in any of the 50 states. Also we have dismembered cadavers to practice on. I believe that we are taught everything that anybody else is taught in any other college of optometry because the ophthalmologists with their unrestricted medical licenses supervise us. I don't know the specifics yet about the surgeries, I would have to email and ask but I heard optometry students also practice on monkeys as well over here.

We have ophthalmologists as instructors and we have a refractive surgery center where we get a 40% discount if we wish to indulge in LASIK or other surgery.

That is one of the funniest things I've heard. Wait until you start school before making audacious claims.

I've largely stayed out of this debate because it's filled with the usual tedium that these threads generate but I'm going to step in and say a few things here....

1) There is no demand for optometric surgery of any type in any part of the country. This bill is not about optometrists doing YAGs or LASIK or PIs.

2) I don't understand fully the situation in Kentucky and the politics surrounding it but one of the complaints I'm seeing from mostly MD students is that the bill allows for procedures first and training second and they think that's a bad thing.

Let's be real honest with ourselves. If optometry produced a program which produced tremendous ophthalmic surgeons....let's for a moment pretend that this hypothetical program produced even BETTER surgeons than ophthalmology.....ophthalmology would STILL oppose it because it's not traditional allopathic medical school.

But that's not even the most annoying thing about it. What I find annoying and insulting is that people actually think that if this bill were signed into law tomorrow and optometrists WERE allowed to do all these procedures that optometrists in Kentucky would immediately start running around the state all willy-nilly, recklessly slashing and zapping the eyes of Kentuckians everywhere.

That's ridiculous.

Quite frankly, I don't think that any optometrists are going to be doing any of these procedures because I do not believe that this bill is about procedures. But even so, no optometrist would engage in any act that they did not feel that they could provide the highest level of care possible. You don't see ophthalmologists running around doing spinal fusions and Wipples even though they have they have an unrestricted medical license. To think that optometrists could not be just as responsible is insulting.

For the bill "not being about surgery, it sure talks a lot about surgery.". The authors cannot be trusted because most of the things listed are so far beyond current optometric teaching today. Therefore, people have every right to question what will take place in training the newly legislated "surgeons".

for the newly legislated "surgeons", the oath MDs follow is first do no harm. Therefore, I realize the guy on the plane is not calling for me when he asks for a doctor. And I guarantee he us not calling for an optometrist. Get over yourself and your "doctoral" degree. I accept I do not know everything about medicine after my 10 years of medical training - why can't you do the same after 4 years of optometric training?

That is one of the funniest things I've heard. Wait until you start school before making audacious claims.

I found this IACUC approved document stating that nonhuman primates are used in behavioral studies at SUNY.
http://mail.all-creatures.org/saen/ny/images/res-fr-ny-sco-aphis-2009-2.jpg

Also, http://www.journalofvision.org/content/7/15/57.abstract
Click the + sign next to author affiliations. "Department of Biological Science, SUNY-Optometry"

Another Macaque study from last year:
http://jp.physoc.org/content/589/1/59.abstract

Wait until you learn how to use google before saying I make audacious claims, thanks.

For the bill "not being about surgery, it sure talks a lot about surgery.". The authors cannot be trusted because most of the things listed are so far beyond current optometric teaching today. Therefore, people have every right to question what will take place in training the newly legislated "surgeons".

for the newly legislated "surgeons", the oath MDs follow is first do no harm. Therefore, I realize the guy on the plane is not calling for me when he asks for a doctor. And I guarantee he us not calling for an optometrist. Get over yourself and your "doctoral" degree. I accept I do not know everything about medicine after my 10 years of medical training - why can't you do the same after 4 years of optometric training?

I find it interesting that you think KHE comes across like this. Yes, very interesting...