Excess salt and osmoregulation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

linkin06

We are all witnesses.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
we did a lab where some of us drank a liter of pure water, a liter of pure water + caffeine, and a liter of pure water + salt. then we collected our urine every 30 minutes and measured the density.

i've been searching online databases forever trying to figure out the physiology behind the "salt + water" group. i can find plenty on how salt is reabsorbed normally, but i'm having a lot of difficulty finding info on how the body gets rid of excess salt.

i was in the salt+water group, and i did notice i peed very little and had very concentrated urine. but i can't find much in literature explaining more. i was hoping some of you smarties would maybe help guide me in a more fruitful direction...

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, SDN is not a place to be asking homework, lab, or test questions. However since this does have MCAT relevence, I will let this sleigh.

When the nephron is filtering the salt, it has a maximum transport capacity of how much salt is reabsorbed with the aid of aldosterone which is correlated with the urea concentration gradient. When too much salt has been ingested, then the body will inhibit the angiotension system, lower BP, and glomular filtration rate to flush all the salt out of it's system. Your urine will become concentrated and normal filtration will resume.