Excelsior College Bachelors Of Science in Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to let it slide but you continue doing it in lots of posts so I am going to tell you:

"Alot" is not a word. If you mean to say "I have a lot of education", it is said like that- not "alot of education".

Similar thing with "Apart", except apart is also a word with a separate meaning. You'd want to say "a part of the problem is that a lot of universities..."

I also second listening to the solid advice from the people who are matriculating, have matriculated, or have years of experience in advising pre-meds (all of these groups have posted in your thread). You appear to be rushing what is meant to be and what should be a slow process, or at least a little slower than you're trying to make it. It takes a long time to accrue all the necessary ECs, etc. It will only make you a more mature doctor for your patients. And it gives you time to enjoy some of your early 20s, but that's a subjective call...

Also I'm so confused on why someone needs to spend 4 years at an institution for their Bachelors? Am I doing something wrong? Ive been in college since I was 17, graduated Highschool at 16. I have accrued alot of credits in a year and halves time from my college and online courses. Apart of the problem is that alot of universities are not credit transfer friendly, if anyone knows a credit transfer friendly college or University please give me some names, I would love to have more options.
Its an Indication of the quality of the school? Really. Like are you for real? If thats true then Stanford and Yale state are bad schools bad schools because not all of the graduates get to practice their careers. Im not really worried about the nursing program, i'm sure the individual that will review my app in the future will not research errors with the school or "reputation". If that happens than alot of small town undergrads will not get placements because their small-town colleges are not reputable enough.

So is my plan solid?
1. Get my Bachelors of science in Biology from Excelsior
2. Attend (My Plan) Drew University for My Post-Bacc
3. Take MCAT and start applications.

Has anyone done something similar to me? Like, do your Bachelors then do a Post-Bacc? Has that helped anyone in getting accepted?

I would love to, but alot of the universities have a transfer cap. I have alot of credits, do you have any names in mind that I can look into. I need a credit transfer friendly college. Doing some more research On GCU currently...Oh i'm so indecisive.. lol

So you don't think a Post-Bac can elevate? Excelsior like any other university has an on campus and online program. GCU is a pretty good university, not sure if you researched it. What makes you think GCU is bad? They have a assigned Pre-Med program. I'm getting alot of one sided info right now. Calivianya and others are only telling me the negatives. Well since you know alot about good and reputable universities, throw me a few names, somewhere my credits can travel safely without having fear of loosing 30-40 credits. Its just like whatever i'm saying or doing is bad, no one is giving me useful advice. Well if you can't relate to my situation or give me a solution or a different strategy then don't bother posting. I thought this forum was created to help students and undergrads. Well its interesting everyone has a one dimensional answer, go spend 2 years in college 4 years getting an undergrad then go to Med School. Well in the end of the day, i'm pretty damn ahead of most of the people here, so I guess I will become a guinea pig in the name of all Pre-med students and say fu*k it, i'm going to finish my Bachelors at Excelsior and Get into a Ivy League post-bac program. If there's a will, there's a way. I'll come back and share my experiences, but until then, Ciao.

I contacted a few post-bac places, they said all you need to have is a Bachelors, also they have a GPA requirement, so I dont think underperforming students will have a high chance of getting in. Im pretty sure if I got a Post-Bacc from Rutgers or one of those tope grade schools, it would carry prestige. Im not getting any advice, all what people are telling me to do is to drop my credits and restart, and by the way its not "16" credits its way more than than that, i'm asking for help to look for university that can get my credits transferred. Everyone is saying to do 4 years. Im not going to do that, that BS i'll be wasting my time. Alot of the answers here are very one dimensional. And its not a minimum of two years in a post-bac, where you getting this info? Its a year, or even less since most Post-Bacs are 40-45 credits.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Ok fine. What do you guys think of Thomas Edison university? Lol

Thomas Edison University is a university that specializes in long-distance education and vocational training. Do not attend Thomas Edison University. Attend a regular research university. If you want to attend a public university in NJ, go to Rutgers, NJIT, Rowan, etc.

At this point, I suspect that either (1) OP is trolling, or (2) OP is suffering from self-imposed ignorance caused by stubbornness and a total lack of independent inquiry. Regardless, I'm unfollowing this thread. Good luck at the University of Phoenix, OP!

Reactions: 6 users
I'm not giving an attitude, and stop saying online. I'm not doing any classes online.

If you look below at the bolded part, you said you took some online classes. Goro is just telling you that a lot of schools won't accept those. I took an online class for a pre-req through my 4 year university and it is not accepted, so I had just take another class during the fall semester at school.

Also I'm so confused on why someone needs to spend 4 years at an institution for their Bachelors? Am I doing something wrong? Ive been in college since I was 17, graduated Highschool at 16. I have accrued alot of credits in a year and halves time from my college and online courses. Apart of the problem is that alot of universities are not credit transfer friendly, if anyone knows a credit transfer friendly college or University please give me some names, I would love to have more options.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I heard this school is pretty good
mulogo.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
If you look below at the bolded part, you said you took some online classes. Goro is just telling you that a lot of schools won't accept those. I took an online class for a pre-req through my 4 year university and it is not accepted, so I had just take another class during the fall semester at school.

The classes I took online were not pre-reqs they were classes like english and math. What I meant to say was like science classes.

Thomas Edison University is a university that specializes in long-distance education and vocational training. Do not attend Thomas Edison University. Attend a regular research university. If you want to attend a public university in NJ, go to Rutgers, NJIT, Rowan, etc.

At this point, I suspect that either (1) OP is trolling, or (2) OP is suffering from self-imposed ignorance caused by stubbornness and a total lack of independent inquiry. Regardless, I'm unfollowing this thread. Good luck at the University of Phoenix, OP!

I reside in New York, and why do you keep bringing up U of Phoenix?? Its like everything I do is bad, all of the universities I bring up are bad because they have online programs. Tell me if your university has online programs or not. I'm pretty sure they do. And i'm not a troll.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now why on earth on your looking at 2 particularly lowly rated colleges, Logan in MO and Excelsior in NY that have almost nothing in common other than being pretty piss-poor for premedical studies? I am not from Missouri, but you gotta show me
My guess...another incarnation of one of our long departed banned posters. Intent on doing nothing more than stir the pot. :rolleyes:

The classes I took online were not pre-reqs they were classes like english and math. What I meant to say was like science classes.

English and math are prerequisite courses though. The class I took was English and I had to take another English class again. I would suggest you look at what your in state medical schools accept and don’t accept and what classes they require.

@PreMedHunter

Let.it.go. You've worked hard to this point and no one can take away what you've learned. Maybe you can save about two years of tuition becuase of the credits you've already earned but no school worth its salt will grant a bachelor's degree without at least 60 credits (about two academic years) earned at that school.

Medical schools prefer coursework taken in person rather than online. You know this and you are going to focus on finding an undergrad institution that offers in-person classes.

If you really want to go to medical school, we can give you a roadmap that will show you the way that has worked for about 15,000 applicants per year. You want to go "off road" and find your own path? Good luck with that. Just be aware that more than 20,000 applicants per year don't get where they want to go... this is not an easy journey and doing it your own way may make it more difficult for you to reach the goal.

Don't let the people who are having fun with you get you down. You can get good information here if you are willing to listen. There are a few of us who have been doing med school admissions work, and /or pre-med advising for decades and we are willing to work with you. There are dozens of successful applicants here that will chime in, if you give them a chance.

The most important things are GPA and MCAT. A school's reputation as a competitive school is going to be a minor factor but it does matter. When it comes to choosing between a graduate of NoName College or TopRanked University, the graduate from TopRanked is going to win every time. Research is moderately important and going to a school that offers reserach opportunities to undergrads will be a plus. Going to a school that has placed its grads in medical schools is a plus and you should ask how many recent grads are currently in medical school. A school that has a good track record in this regard is going to be better than one that doesn't.

Explain where do you see Edison shown as a vocational school. Well bottom line, is that i'm not going to spend 4 years in university, Ill gladly spend 4 years in Med School or DO school, but hell to no in my undergrad. Seems useless, plenty of people out their getting their degrees in a year or two, and it just so happens I have an advantage because I have an excess of credits, so i'm going to use it. But who can I blame, you guys followed the the old school way spending a hell of a lot of time in your undergrad.

Explain where do you see Edison shown as a vocational school.
ACCOUNTING
ACCOUNTING/CPA
ADMINISTRATIVE STUDIES
ALLIED DENTAL EDUCATION*
AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL*
ANTHROPOLOGY
APPLIED COMPUTER STUDIES
APPLIED ELECTRONIC STUDIES
APPLIED HEALTH STUDIES
ART
AVIATION FLIGHT TECHNOLOGY*
AVIATION MAINTENANCE TECHNOLOGY*
AVIATION MANAGEMENT*
AVIATION SUPPORT*

That's just the A's but you get the idea that much of it is training for specific careers, i.e. vocational training. These aren't majors you'd find at Columbia, Cornell or Syracuse.

Well bottom line, is that i'm not going to spend 4 years in university, Ill gladly spend 4 years in Med School or DO school, but hell to no in my undergrad. Seems useless, plenty of people out their getting their degrees in a year or two, and it just so happens I have an advantage because I have an excess of credits, so i'm going to use it. But who can I blame, you guys followed the the old school way spending a hell of a lot of time in your undergrad.

There are schools that offer BS/MD with only 3 years of undergrad and guaranteed admission to the medical school. Maybe you should check them out. Frankly, the way this is going, I don't see you spending even one day in medical school.

Reactions: 9 users
Ok, OP wins the totally good at academic planning award. Go to it, young visionary.

Your peers "wasted" time learning, in addition to their studies, how to be mature and professional individuals capable of making it through medical school admissions, something you clearly have yet to master.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, OP wins the totally good at academic planning award. Go to it, young visionary.

Your peers "wasted" time learning, in addition to their studies, how to be mature and professional individuals capable of making it through medical school admissions, something you clearly have yet to master.

I'm not saying I don't want to learn, but why would I want to waste my time doing classes I have already done, and spending a mandated 3-4 years for 120-130 credits which I can get my credits transferred to a university and get my bachelors. Also Edison has Bachelors of science Biology, so why is it bad?

I'm not saying I don't want to learn, but why would I want to waste my time doing classes I have already done, and spending a mandated 3-4 years for 120-130 credits which I can get my credits transferred to a university and get my bachelors. Also Edison has Bachelors of science Biology, so why is it bad?
you're the one who said you want to go to a high profile med school. Just THINK about it, between a no name med school vs a school with good reputation, who will they pick. And if by high profile you mean T20, your chance is slim without research, and guess what schools have strong research, definitely not logan/edison/excelsior. If you reside in NY, its better off to go to CUNY or SUNY, even they have WAY better reputations.

Have you made an appointment to talk with an admissions counselor at the state university nearest your home? That might be a good first step.

To get into a top medical school, it helps to have a degree from a top undergrad institution. Short-cuts don't cut it on this journey. More than 50% of pre-meds don't make it. Don't be a statistic. Accept that you are going to have to put in the time (most likely 2 years). You won't know until you sit down and talk to someone about what you can count and what won't count toward your degree.

What is your GPA at this point? Have you ever taken the SAT or ACT? How did you do?

Reactions: 1 users
I have a 3.95 GPA, I never took the SAT because my counselor said I wouldn't need it, yes I agree I was dumb to listen to her. My Highschool GPA was a 3.85. The only people I spoke to was Logan, Excelsior, Northwestern Health Sciences.

I have a 3.95 GPA, I never took the SAT because my counselor said I wouldn't need it, yes I agree I was dumb to listen to her. My Highschool GPA was a 3.85. The only people I spoke to was Logan, Excelsior, Northwestern Health Sciences.

So this is why OP isn't considering a reputable undergraduate school, it's all coming together now. Just so you know OP, you DO need to take the MCAT before you apply to medical school.

Reactions: 2 users
Explain where do you see Edison shown as a vocational school. Well bottom line, is that i'm not going to spend 4 years in university, Ill gladly spend 4 years in Med School or DO school, but hell to no in my undergrad. Seems useless, plenty of people out their getting their degrees in a year or two, and it just so happens I have an advantage because I have an excess of credits, so i'm going to use it. But who can I blame, you guys followed the the old school way spending a hell of a lot of time in your undergrad.

People are continuously saying that most reputable universities will only offer you a degree after spending two (2) years there... I don't understand why you keep throwing a tantrum about not wanting to spend 3 or 4.

Reactions: 2 users
So this is why OP isn't considering a reputable undergraduate school, it's all coming together now. Just so you know OP, you DO need to take the MCAT before you apply to medical school.

SUNY Albany doesn't require SAT/ACT scores from transfer applicants who have 24+ credits under their belts. If OP had done his research, he would know that.

Last edited:
Yes I know about the MCAT, I was naive in highschool to listen to my evil counselor. I'm already in a MCAT tutoring program.

SUNY Albany doesn't require SAT/ACT scores from transfer applicants who have 24+ credits under their belts. If OP had done his research, he would know that.
If it makes everyone feel better I'll research into SUNY. I was looking for something in Jersey l, since I'm a full blooded Jersey guy, I wanted something closer to my relatives.

Any reason you couldn't take the SAT or ACT now?
As has been said, two (just 2) more years at a reputable 4-year college or university is all you will probably need to get into Medical School. If you're as smart as your GPA suggests you could be, why not aim high? (I know Cornell accepts transfers from CCs) It'll certainly help if top-tier MD is your goal.

Any reason you couldn't take the SAT or ACT now?
As has been said, two (just 2) more years at a reputable 4-year college or university is all you will probably need to get into Medical School. If you're as smart as your GPA suggests you could be, why not aim high? (I know Cornell accepts transfers from CCs) It'll certainly help if top-tier MD is your goal.

Cornell doesn't require SAT/ACT for transfer applicants.

One of the most spectacular applicants I've seen in my 20 years in the business had 2 years of community college credit and transferred to Cornell, graduating with >3.95 after 2 years of study at Cornell.

In NJ, Princeton is taking transfers again, too and specifically mentions community college students.
Transfer Students

I shoulda popped some popcorn for this thread :rofl:

Hasn’t been around in 43 weeks!

OP is hopefully busy with his premed studies at SUNY-Albany or Cornell undergrad.

I noticed that OP stopped posting once s/he learned that those two undergrads don't require the SAT/ACT from community college transfer applicants.

So you don't think a Post-Bac can elevate? Excelsior like any other university has an on campus and online program. GCU is a pretty good university, not sure if you researched it. What makes you think GCU is bad? They have a assigned Pre-Med program. I'm getting alot of one sided info right now. Calivianya and others are only telling me the negatives. Well since you know alot about good and reputable universities, throw me a few names, somewhere my credits can travel safely without having fear of loosing 30-40 credits. Its just like whatever i'm saying or doing is bad, no one is giving me useful advice. Well if you can't relate to my situation or give me a solution or a different strategy then don't bother posting. I thought this forum was created to help students and undergrads. Well its interesting everyone has a one dimensional answer, go spend 2 years in college 4 years getting an undergrad then go to Med School. Well in the end of the day, i'm pretty damn ahead of most of the people here, so I guess I will become a guinea pig in the name of all Pre-med students and say fu*k it, i'm going to finish my Bachelors at Excelsior and Get into a Ivy League post-bac program. If there's a will, there's a way. I'll come back and share my experiences, but until then, Ciao.
lol I just wanted to say I like you and wish you well. I've lurked on these forums for a long time. I have heard many doctors and med school students from other outlets say, STAY AWAY from SDN forums, they give horrible advice. I want to wish you good luck..there is such a thing called serendipity and these vultures hate that it exists. Get into medical school and prove them wrong. Please update us with your progress.

A while ago on a forum, I've read that someone got into med school by taking their prereqs at a community college and testing out on CLEP exams, with an undergrad degree from EXCELSIOR COLLEGE. Now, this is not the norm but it can be done. It is just a little harder and takes a lot of luck. There is no such thing as impossible. A word of advice when you do get into med school, as tempting as it may be don't broadcast it. You will be hated on because of the unusual way you took to get in. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.