Exam Krackers (EK) Self-Study MCAT Preparation Ratings and Opinions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a thread for people who have self-studied with the Exam Krackers (EK) MCAT prep course to rate the course on a scale from 1-10 (with ten being the best) and to post their thoughts and comments about the course. Please do NOT vote if you have not already used the EK self-prep course, but anyone can feel free to post questions for previous course enrollees. Posters, you might want to comment on some of the following questions, but feel free to disregard some of these and/or add others of your own:

1) When did you use the EK MCAT prep course? How long did it take you to complete the EK program?

2) What would you say were the strengths of the EK course?

3) What were the weaknesses?

4) Do you feel that EK prepared you adequately for the MCAT?

5) Would you recommend that future MCAT students prepare using EK?

Members don't see this ad.

1) When did you use the EK MCAT prep course? How long did it take you to complete the EK program?
between july 08 and september 08, i took the MCAT september 08

concise, straight to the point

if you don't already have the fundamentals down from your undergrad classes, EK will probably be over your head. EK sorta just lists formulas, puts concepts out without really going into the basics. and EK practice exams (well at least the one i took - 1H) are garbage

by itself, no. i would also recommend buying the AAMC practice exams. the EK practice questions/exams are not like the real thing.

buy the AAMC practice exams and do them all. also try to acquire kaplan/berkeley/princeton practice exams. practice practice practice is the key. i only did the AAMC practice ones but i think doing the other ones also would have helped.

I condensed the 10 week program over 4.5 weeks for the June 2008 exam.

The fact that it's bare bones. You won't end up memorizing a bunch of facts that will never show up on the exam. The books won't teach you the science, but they will teach you how to get questions right on the MCAT.

Question bank books are very strong. If you haven't taken the prequisite courses the 1001 books will teach you everything.

Cost...or lack thereof when compared to an in-class course.

The whole idea of self-study in general.

The lack of any real practice material. The 30 min practice exams at the end of each chapter are useless, don't waste your time. The 1001 books are a teaching tool not good for evaluating progress.

Yes.

Yes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Aside from EK are there any other review materials anyone has tried and found helpful? DVD's, MP3 audio material, practice exams, etc...? I found some DVD's and other things on ebay that looked helpful, but I would rather buy something that someone else has tried and reccomends! Thanks:oops:

has anybody used the new EK books that came out in June 2008 (specifically the verbal review and bio)? EK has quite a good reputation on SDN, and I want to know if this holds true with the new books.

I started June 1, and finished in time for an August 15th MCAT. I pretty much used their self-study schedule. A couple of times, I didn't finish one week, so I worked harder the next week. I certainly spent less than 10 hours per week studying. I listened to the audio osmosis recordings when I got a chance - usually I would get through the relevant lectures a couple of times during the week.

Concise and really good test-taking tips. I thought the VR was handled particularly well.

I'm not sure how good they would be for someone without a strong science background. Although my pre-reqs were more than 10 years ago, I had really mastered the material.

Absolutely. I scored 3 points higher than I expected, which was great.

Yes.

I used the old books, btw.

sounds like the vast majority of users think the EK books are pretty great, espically the 1001 questions and the VR stuff and Biostuff

at the end of each chapter, they give equations that you should memorize, are those equations good enough to get a 30 or what?

I've been out of school about 7 years now, although this science stuff, bio/chem/fizzics in the EK books is so easy to learn and I get it. I just dont want to be on some problem and not have know Vf=Vi+aT or some other simple equation I dont know

are SIN or COS angle always given?

isnt that angle stuff always given to you? or do I need to memorize that?
thanks

September 2009 MCAT:
Materials - 1001 Biology, 101 Verbal, the Complete Study kit, and all of TBR's books with the exception of TBR writing/verbal.
Method - Used SN2ed's three-month study guide as an outline, logging over 300 hours of studying in 2.5 months. After doing well on the September 2009 test, I was hired as a comprehensive MCAT course instructor by EK at the beginning of 2010. That being said, this review is solely my opinion… I have no ties with EK other than a part-time job as an instructor.

Out of curiosity to see if I had improved after teaching a few courses, I recently took the MCAT again in August of 2010.
Materials: Complete EK study kit, TPR hyperlearning verbal, 101 Verbal, Kaplans' high yield problem solving guide, and a few passages from the in class TPR biology material due to the heavy trend of experimental biology passages. Studying began a month before the test, but much more relaxed this time around.

Brevity. It gets right to the point on what you'll see on the MCAT, and only the information on the MCAT. EK's books are not cluttered with unnecessary background information and they really excel in highlighting the material that is most likely to be seen on test day. Audio Osmosis is really great to throw on in the car during a daily commute. Sure, everyone else is listening to some CD or Pandora radio station they like, but is that helping them to become a doctor? If possible, use audio osmosis and be a 'lamer' in the few months before the MCAT. Yes, it's chalk full of some awful/awesome jokes, but if they didn't try to spice it up then there might be a lot of fatalities from premed students falling asleep at the wheel.
Oh, and it's important to understand that EK loves to throw curve balls on the lecture questions as well as the 30-minute exams. Judging from the mediocre (and misguided) consensus towards EK's physics, O chem, and gen chem books here on SDN, I think this is where some people get frustrated give up on using these books for those subjects. The in-class reviews are EK's way of simulating the difficult questions that you will see on the MCAT, as well as providing insight into what areas of that section that needs clarification. Basically, don't let your performance on these exams be disheartening! It's normal to do poorly on those questions.

For a very small number of questions, it feels like they reach a bit to get the answer. But that is not so much a weakness, because it encourages the student to really find out for themselves. Also, I do believe that there are some grey areas with EK. It can be hard to digest material in EK's books the first time around, as some topics are presented briefly for the sake of brevity. Keep in mind they are explained fully, but the material is so dense it becomes difficult for everything to settle. As for 1001 Biology.. it served as a good review, but it just took a long time to go through it all. IMO, It's all about efficiency over time spent.

Yes, but some additional supplies on top of the EK complete study guide would help. EK Verbal 101 or TPR hyperlearning verbal is necessary, unless somehow... by the grace of God, you don't need any help with the VR section. As mentioned before, Audio Osmosis is good to brush up on weak areas. On a side note, I do believe that Kaplan's High Yield Problem Solving guide is a great supplement for any MCAT study plan.

Umm.. Yes?

Last edited:

I started June 1, and finished in time for an August 15th MCAT. I pretty much used their self-study schedule. A couple of times, I didn't finish one week, so I worked harder the next week. I certainly spent less than 10 hours per week studying. I listened to the audio osmosis recordings when I got a chance - usually I would get through the relevant lectures a couple of times during the week.

Concise and really good test-taking tips. I thought the VR was handled particularly well.

I'm not sure how good they would be for someone without a strong science background. Although my pre-reqs were more than 10 years ago, I had really mastered the material.

Absolutely. I scored 3 points higher than I expected, which was great.

Yes.

I used the old books, btw.

what did you use to test yourself?
1001 books and aamc tests?

I thought TBR was much better, from what I've read on here, your thoughts?
you scored in the 20s or 30s?

I feel like the majority of the posts here are REALLY old. (i.e. Prior to 2010) A couple people have given their opinions in recent months, but I'm wondering how everyone whose used EK in the past 6-8 months feel about their material and coursework?

I plan to use EK, but I'm curious to hear some recent thoughts on the classes/self study approach...

Where is everyone?? :confused:

I can only recall one regular poster that used primarily EK to study. Most of the people don't follow EK's study schedule that strictly, if at all, and even fewer use only EK's books to study. Currently, the majority of posters use a combination of study material.

I feel like the majority of the posts here are REALLY old. (i.e. Prior to 2010) A couple people have given their opinions in recent months, but I'm wondering how everyone whose used EK in the past 6-8 months feel about their material and coursework?

I plan to use EK, but I'm curious to hear some recent thoughts on the classes/self study approach...

Where is everyone?? :confused:

I was thinking the same thing about the posts being old. From what I hear, the course is really bad but the books are good (biology and verbal get plenty of love at SDN). Everything useful is in their books, so the course seems pointless.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can only recall one regular poster that used primarily EK to study. Most of the people don't follow EK's study schedule that strictly, if at all, and even fewer use only EK's books to study. Currently, the majority of posters use a combination of study material.

These are facts.

For those of you looking for an honest opinion from someone who has used EK in the recent months.. check out my above post.

Hey can someone PM me about these ExamKracker books? I have lots of questions concerning the MCAT. I am 19 years old and in need of advice! Please please please someone help! I hear lots of good amazing things but then people say it's a scam since ExamKracker correspondents themselves write these amazing claims.

Dude...chill out.

If you have questions, I'd suggest searching for them here and then posting if you don't find answers. If you're paranoid about all this you're better off keeping the convo in the open to being with.

Hi All:

I'm relatively new here and decided to try to contribute. Here is the list of Audio Osmosis' Known Errata as of today (12/15/2012).

ASAP I'll post the books errata list.

Attachments

• Examkrackers Audio Osmosis Known Errata.pdf
    217.9 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
Here is another list of errors for the EK Orgo/Bio Books

Attachments

• Organic Chemistry Errata.pdf
    23.9 KB · Views: 222
  • EK Biology Errata.pdf
    22.6 KB · Views: 274
Attached is a compilation of the presently known errata (7th Ed.) for (the rest of) the EK series.

Attachments

• EK Physics Errata.pdf
    32.6 KB · Views: 245
  • EK Verbal 101 .pdf
    8 KB · Views: 224
  • Inorganic Chemistry Errata.pdf
    36.4 KB · Views: 222
  • Verbal Reasoning.pdf
    29.7 KB · Views: 220

1) Still using it.
2) Cheaper than most prep books I own. EK1001 provides good practice to pinpoint your weakness.
3) Explanations for the solutions are lacking. One sentence explanations just doesn't cut it for some solutions.
4) By itself it won't be.
5) Yes, supplement it with something else though.

I have these books for sale

EK: good review if you have shaky areas

EK 1001 Organic Chem (brand new)
EK 1001 General Chem (brand new)
EK 1001 Physics (brand new)
EK 101 Passages in MCAT (best book for verbal-drills you hard)
EK 1001 MCAT biology (some highlights in first few pages)

Am asking $100

Last edited:
I think EK books are amazing much much better than kaplan and I don't have any problem with understanding lectures but I get very discouraged after taking 30mins exam....(Specially PS section)
If MCAT is same level as EK 30min exams I am pretty sure I am doomed. :(
I didn't try any diagnostic exam so it is hard for me to compare real MCAT level and EK 30mins questions.
Can you please tell me your opinion about EK 30 min exam?
:scared:
Thanks,

I think EK books are amazing much much better than kaplan and I don't have any problem with understanding lectures but I get very discouraged after taking 30mins exam....(Specially PS section)
I didn't try any diagnostic exam so it is hard for me to compare real MCAT level and EK 30mins questions.
Thanks,

They're hard, but you should do well on them after reading the sections.

And the kaplan chem book is better than EK and physics is about the same (better for some stuff, worse for some stuff).

I think it's time you took a diagnostic exam.

Thanks,

The exams are harder than the real test. I usually scored 10-12 on the practice exams and ended up doing better than that on the real test. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Edit: Decided to go ahead and add my opinion since the first posts were old.

I used EK exclusively to study with the exception of very rarely consulting a Kaplan comprehensive prep book. Overall, I think the materials are very high quality. I think people complain too much about the mistakes/errata; while there are a few errors in the manuals, they aren't frequent and aren't distracting. I think that the major strength of EK is its ability to concisely present information and touch on all of the topics that you're expected to know. I liked essentially having a list/brief explanations of all of the topics in a collection of books that is no longer than ~400 pages.

That said, EK isn't for everyone. The books are written with the expectation that you either 1) recall some information about the topics or 2) will quickly pick up on the information once you read the material. The books are NOT designed to reteach you everything; they're designed to review everything to make sure you remember the important points and concepts. If it has been a while since you've taken the courses and/or you need to be TAUGHT the material, I would recommend using a different set of materials. If you're dead set on using EK but are worried you might need another source to look at, I'd recommend Kaplan's Premiere Program book.

The EK FLs suck, so I'd obviously recommend taking AAMC tests throughout your studying.

Last edited:
As anyone followed EK's schedule while going to school full-time and/or working part time? Is that advisable? Also, how much did your actual score differ from EK's 30 min practice tests?

1) Didn't, 2 months for the bio book, 20-25 days for EK 101 verbal

2) Its precision. The Bio book was very condensed but for people like me who have had extensively detailed intro biology classes in college they were just the right amount of information. EK Bio was also great about the things we absoutely need to know, though some of it was outdated(I have the 2007 edition that I bought 4 months ago, maybe there has been a newer version?)

3) Sometimes they were too precise, also they had a lot of detail that wasn't covered on the AAMC topics list. Since that is ultimately what we will be tested over, they should work on a new edition that only incorporates new information. I know that material for this is nothing compared to what medical school will cover in terms of sheer bulk, but it would be still be nice if we weren't given extra information.

4) We'll see in 11 days.

5) Yes most definitely, EK101 is one of its kind although a few of the questions are rather ambiguous and frustrating. Overall they are very well written and are on par with Princeton Review's Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook passages and extremely similar to the AAMC FL verbal.

Hey can someone PM me about these ExamKracker books? I have lots of questions concerning the MCAT. I am 19 years old and in need of advice! Please please please someone help! I hear lots of good amazing things but then people say it's a scam since ExamKracker correspondents themselves write these amazing claims.

Advice? You're 19 years old dude. Go spend some time living life. Get a job, pay taxes, vote a couple of times, and in a couple of years, enjoy the finer points of artisan brewing.

The MCAT and medical school will still be there later - be patient.

1) I started in earnest in Mid-April for this August's test. Having never taken the MCAT and hearing horror stories, I thought this would have been enough time. Now that I know better, I would have scheduled the exam in July.

2) EK breaks down every section of the MCAT into manageable chunks. With some hardwork, you can know everything you need to know (and more) for each section in 10 days. I read the books, did the back of the book exams and most of the 1001 questions and 101 passages. Books have good illustrations, not great. Concepts are explained thoroughly for every background.

3) There are a LOT of typos in the books. Words missing spaces, words misspelt, wrong answer keys (although answer explanations are correct). It detracts from the overall quality of the books.

4) I believe so yes. Although I have yet to take the MCAT (August 12th!) I've been doing very well on the practice FLs from AAMC (35-37 range).

5) Overall, yes, I would highly recommend EK.

I took a specialized EK tutored course soph year through my university (met saturdays only for 6-7 hours, 10 wks). I self-studied randomly until the summer after Jr yr, where I studied anywhere from 0-8 hours/day (avg=5) for 3 months. Continued to study throughout the semester, and 8 hrs/day over winter break until 1/28/2011 mcat.

Teaches you what is really important to focus on, how to think about science, how to approach the test, and how to overcome your weaknesses. Cheap books and not a ton of useless reading.

Errors in the workbooks and audio osmosis CD's. Also, A.O. tracks keep popping up on my itunes...

I think so. At my (small) university, I got the 2nd highest score in the past several years (13/11/9/o).

Yes, but supplement it with ALL of the AAMC full-length practice tests! Also, use the 1001 practice EK books and supplement with TPR. Study hard.

I took a specialized EK tutored course soph year through my university (met saturdays only for 6-7 hours, 10 wks). I self-studied randomly until the summer after Jr yr, where I studied anywhere from 0-8 hours/day (avg=5) for 3 months. Continued to study throughout the semester, and 8 hrs/day over winter break until 1/28/2011 mcat.

Teaches you what is really important to focus on, how to think about science, how to approach the test, and how to overcome your weaknesses. Cheap books and not a ton of useless reading.

Errors in the workbooks and audio osmosis CD's. Also, A.O. tracks keep popping up on my itunes...

I think so. At my (small) university, I got the 2nd highest score in the past several years (13/11/9/o).

Yes, but supplement it with ALL of the AAMC full-length practice tests! Also, use the 1001 practice EK books and supplement with TPR. Study hard.
thanks for the review a few questsions
what are the AO tracks?

would you give specifcs how you intergrated TBR with EK? I was going to just use EK for bio and VR.
just curious, where did you learn how to do the writing part?
I have TBR, but was just going to use them for chem and physics
I understand the AAMC parts, and the 1001 parts, but what else did you do for review to make sure you understood a topic, I know TBR says dont think you know something till you do the questions. etc.
thanks and I like that your hard work paid off

1) I started in earnest in Mid-April for this August's test. Having never taken the MCAT and hearing horror stories, I thought this would have been enough time. Now that I know better, I would have scheduled the exam in July.

2) EK breaks down every section of the MCAT into manageable chunks. With some hardwork, you can know everything you need to know (and more) for each section in 10 days. I read the books, did the back of the book exams and most of the 1001 questions and 101 passages. Books have good illustrations, not great. Concepts are explained thoroughly for every background.

3) There are a LOT of typos in the books. Words missing spaces, words misspelt, wrong answer keys (although answer explanations are correct). It detracts from the overall quality of the books.

4) I believe so yes. Although I have yet to take the MCAT (August 12th!) I've been doing very well on the practice FLs from AAMC (35-37 range).

5) Overall, yes, I would highly recommend EK.

I might as well update this and say that I got a 37T using the strategies in the EK books exclusively.

11 VR
12 PS
14 BS

With any prep book, what you put into it is what you'll get out of it.

1) 10 weeks before my MCAT. My MCAT was 7/29/11. I started listening to audio osmosis a year before, and listened to the entire series 20 times, generally while driving long Montana highways.

2) It covers everything you need to know. The optional 1001 books really drive home the material. The books are beautiful in 4 color.

3) This is strictly a review series. It assumes you already know the material. I tried going through some of the books before I learned the material in class, and it was a hopeless endeavor.

4) Yes.

5) Yes, if the candidate already did well in the prereq classes and just need to review material and get used to the MCAT format.

I was visiting their website
93amz.jpg

coolguy1.jpg

coolguy3.jpg
this isnt a place for a facebook update about what you are doing in your life:D

I agree that ExamKrackers would be the best option for studying. The first time I took the MCAT I did not do well at all, I scored a 20 (VR 5, PS 6, BS 9). I started studying for the Jan 2012 MCAT in the beginning of October. I used the EK self-study and I also took the EK verbal review course. My score improved by 11 points, I ended up with a 31 (VR 9, BS 10, PS 12). In my opinion the science material explains the information at a level which ensures a great understanding and enables users to apply the material to a whole host of various situations. The verbal strategies helped me a lot as well. Also, you cannot beat the cost of the entire EK self-study program. I purchased all of the books and all of the 1001 question guides for under 400 bucks! Best of luck everybody!