exam in 10 days need help with these questions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentgod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
26 year old patient with tootache, diffuse facial swelling, fever with the neutrophilic infiltration. whats the diagnosis?
cellulitis
granulation tissue
granulomatous inflammation answer by the key
eosinophilic infiltration
proliferation of neutrophils
I doubt for cellulitis please do clarify.

each of the following are HSV type 1 characters except?
most infections are subclinical
latent infections are seen in the neural ganglia
most lesions occur in and around oral cavity
recurrent lesions are more severe than the primary lesions
lipid solvent would inactivate the virus
Please do post the answers

Members don't see this ad.

26 year old patient with tootache, diffuse facial swelling, fever with the neutrophilic infiltration. whats the diagnosis?
cellulitis
granulation tissue

lipid solvent would inactivate the virus-answer

plss correct if wrong.

Which of the following tissues uses ketone bodies as a major fuel in the fed state?
Brain
liver- asnwer
muscle
adipose
RBC's
from my understanding the liver can synthesize ketone bodies but not utilize them. Then how come the answer pls do explain.

A 0.2 mole/lt Nacl solution and a 0.2 mole /lt glucose solution are separated by a membrane that is impermeable to these solutes but is permeable to water . Which of the followin is correct?
-there will be no net movement of water to either solution
-water will go from the glucose to the saline solution
-water will go from saline to glucose
-concentration of glucose will decrease
- " OF Nacl will increase

Thank you Pbkal also need help with these.

if the pt is given the 115mg per ml of inulin, when the plasma concn of inulin is 0.1 mg/ml, whats the gfr?
115 mg/ml +0.1=115.1 inulin is neither reabsorbed nor secreted by the kidney after glomerular filtration, so the ans could be 115/115.1

explanation 2 the answer should be 0.1mg/ml since clearly question tells you the concentration of inulin in plasma as 0.1 mg/ml. and gfr is equal to inulin conc in plasma as it is filtered only. Dont get confused with the 115 mg part. it is what is given but in plasma the measured conc per ml is 0.1.
the 115 mg gets disolved in blood and you dont know the blood volume. So it is 0.1 per ml after it gets disolved.
THE above two different explanations are given by two different people for the same question. Please do guide me which answer is right and which one to follow. I'm gettin nervous abt the testing. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which of the following tissues uses ketone bodies as a major fuel in the fed state?
Brain
liver- asnwer
muscle
adipose
RBC's
from my understanding the liver can synthesize ketone bodies but not utilize them. Then how come the answer pls do explain.
i agree with u.i think the answer shud be muscle.becos,ketone bodies r primarily used by extrahepatic tissues as feul source like heart ,skeletal muscle..

A 0.2 mole/lt Nacl solution and a 0.2 mole /lt glucose solution are separated by a membrane that is impermeable to these solutes but is permeable to water . Which of the followin is correct?
-water will go from the glucose to the saline solution-answer.

Thank you Pbkal also need help with these.

plss correct if wrong..

26 year old patient with tootache, diffuse facial swelling, fever with the "neutrophilic infiltration". whats the diagnosis?
cellulitis
granulation tissue

Expln : Key words are underlined , hence the answer , otherwise IMO celluitis is quite true !

most lesions occur in and around oral cavity (ANSWER)

Hope this helps !
All the best for your exams , dont worry you'll be fine .

thank you truth seeker and pbkal, that means a lot to me.
Pbkal, can i ask you how, pls do explain. Thank you.

Need help with these too.
which of the following statements describes an example of innate immunity?
-allergic reaction to insect venom
-the classical pathway of complement
-the destruction of virus infected cells by T-killer cells
-the production of IgG in response to insect venom
-the alternative pathway of complement

which of the following characters represent the most reliable criterion for the pathogenicity of the staphylococcus?
hemolysis
pigment production
coagulase production.
mannitol fermentation
liquefaction of gelatin.

thank you truth seeker and pbkal, that means a lot to me.
Pbkal, can i ask you how, pls do explain. Thank you.

hey dentgod!!do u have the key??what does it say??

Pbkal,
the key says the concentration will increase neither do I understand that conceptually, pls do shed some light.

-the alternative pathway of complement ---answer

as alternate pathway is innate component of immune system.

which of the following characters represent the most reliable criterion for the pathogenicity of the staphylococcus?
hemolysis---answer
pigment production
coagulase production.
mannitol fermentation
liquefaction of gelatin.

as there are 4 types of hemolysins alpha,beta,gamma,delta.they destroy RBC,Neutrophils,macrophagesand platelets.So i think hemolysis is the answer.

Pbkal,
the key says the concentration will increase neither do I understand that conceptually, pls do shed some light.

r u saying last option-conc of nacl will increse is given as answer????
i thought since saline has greater concentration,so water will move from glucose to saline.

is it an asda question??

thank you pbkal and jaskiran!
pbkal, i figured out some for the ketone question. pls do correct the mistakes.Remember, in the “Fed” state (eating well) Ketone Bodies can’t pass the blood-Brain barrier. It’s only when we are starving that the membrane becomes permeable. So, Brain is out. RBC’s are dead, Muscles hate Ketone and Lactic acid, and Fat uses Ketone as a builder, not food. So Liver is all that is left.

And your answer is just right for the solubility question.
Water will move towards the salt due to its high solubility coefficient. This would include things like KCl.
Thank you.

hey jaskiran, can you pls explain me why the alternate pathway. For the second one I thought the hemolysis wud be better for the streptococcus.

Members don't see this ad :)
-the alternative pathway of complement

hemolysis
pigment production
coagulase production.
mannitol fermentation
liquefaction of gelatin.

for the first one ,
Alternate pathway is the answer
expln : alternate pathway provides natural defense against infections which can operate without antibody participation.

For the second one ,
coagulase , is the criteria to distinguish b/n Staph a. and other gram + staph , thus even though they hav hemolysins as is suggested above by somebody , which is true , yet this is more appropriate !

pls do come back and tell us how ur exam was .

Last edited:
hello truth seeker,
thank you so much! the first one was really good. what's the answer for the second one? is the coagulase or the hemolysins? I will let you guys know abt the testin. Wish me luck!

good morning some more from DA!
which of the following muscles has an important influence on the function of the mandible although it is not generally considered a muscle of mastication?
omohyoid
geniohyoid
mylohyoid
digastric
sternomastoid

in the primary molars, which portion of the crown is shorter occlusogingivally?
mesial
distal
midfacial
midlingual

On the crown of the mandibular first molar, the facial cusp ridge of the ML cusp originates at the cusp tip and normally terminates at which of the following?
lingual groove
halfway down the facial surface
halfway down the lingual surface
mesial portion of the central groove
mesiolingual occlusal point angle area

hello truth seeker,
thank you so much! the first one was really good. what's the answer for the second one? is the coagulase or the hemolysins? I will let you guys know abt the testin. Wish me luck!

Coagulase .
Best of luck dentgod , you'll do well , dont worry .

hey pbkal, truth and folks! Please do extend your hands and solve the questions. Thank you.

which of the following muscles has an important influence on the function of the mandible although it is not generally considered a muscle of mastication?
omohyoid
geniohyoid
mylohyoid
digastric
sternomastoid

mesial
distal
midfacial
midlingual

On the crown of the mandibular first molar, the facial cusp ridge of the ML cusp originates at the cusp tip and normally terminates at which of the following?
lingual groove
halfway down the facial surface
halfway down the lingual surface
mesial portion of the central groove
mesiolingual occlusal point angle area

Please do post the answers[/QUOTE]

Because herpes simply 1 buds through the nuclear membrane, it it sensitive to lipid solvents.
wiki: "Symptoms resulting from primary infection with HSV are usually more severe than subsequent outbreaks, as the body has not had a chance to produce antibodies."
It is also common knowledge (at least in my neck of the woods) that the first herpes outbreak is the worst (though all old asda papers say that the first infection is subclinical...so i guess when it becomes CLINICAL the first time is the worst.)

hey pbkal, truth and folks! Please do extend your hands and solve the questions. Thank you.

omohyoid
geniohyoid
mylohyoid
digastric
sternomastoid

wiki: When the digastric muscle contracts, it acts to elevate the hyoid bone.
If the hyoid is being held in place (by the infrahyoid muscles), it will tend to depress the mandible (open the mouth).

mesial
distal
midfacial center of facial cusp = tall
midlingual - center of lingual cusp = tall

I think it's mesial because all the old asda papers say that the mesial surface of the mand. 1st premolar is more cervical, or in other variations, that the mand 1st molar is the only tooth where you can see the occlusal table from the mesial....and the primary molars are replaced by the first premolars....this is just my best guess (I am not sure simply because primary first molars most resemble SECOND premolars. I would really love to hear someone else's take on this one!)
On second thought, it could also be distal because of the "hinge movement," causing the hights of posterior teeth to lessen as they go posteriorly, as the question does not specify which primary molar... ah!

lingual groove NO!
halfway down the facial surface How can a ridge end half way down? where does the rest of it go?
halfway down the lingual surface NO!
mesial portion of the central groove my best answer
mesiolingual occlusal point angle area ISN'T THIS THE CUSP TIP? correct me if im wrong!

I am only confident about the first answer, please help out and let's solve this! :)

thank you spazzing! I think for the question2 the distal matches better becoz of the second reason that you gave. I 'm not sure though! Rest of 'em are good ones!

I know there's lotta patronage that I'm getting from the SDN members, pls do continue to answer the followin questions. thank you.
In a class 3 malocclusion, the mesiofacial cusp of the mandibular first molar occludes in the which maxillary teeth
-mesial fossa of the first premolar
- " " " " second premolar
-central fossa of the maxillary first molar
-enbrasure btwn the maxillary first and second molars
-embrasure between the maxillary second premolar and first molar.

The normal maxillary arch from a saggital view will have which of the following inclinations?
-Posterior teeth are mesially inclined
-anterior teeth are straight with no
inclination
- " " " distally inclined
-Posterior teeth are straight with no inclination
-posterior teeth are distally inclined

In the lateral excursion, which of the following cusps passes btwn the lingual cusps of a mandibular left 2 molar
-mesiolingual of a maxillary first molar
-mesiofacial of the maxillary second molar
-lingual of a maxillary 2 molar
-mesiolingual of a maxillary 2 molar

I know there's lotta patronage that I'm getting from the SDN members, pls do continue to answer the followin questions. thank you.
In a class 3 malocclusion, the mesiofacial cusp of the mandibular first molar occludes in the which maxillary teeth
-mesial fossa of the first premolar
- " " " " second premolar --ans
-central fossa of the maxillary first molar
-enbrasure btwn the maxillary first and second molars
-embrasure between the maxillary second premolar and first molar.

The normal maxillary arch from a saggital view will have which of the following inclinations?
-Posterior teeth are mesially inclined --ans[not sure]
-anterior teeth are straight with no
inclination
- " " " distally inclined
-Posterior teeth are straight with no inclination
-posterior teeth are distally inclined

In the lateral excursion, which of the following cusps passes btwn the lingual cusps of a mandibular left 2 molar
-mesiolingual of a maxillary first molar
-mesiofacial of the maxillary second molar--ans
-lingual of a maxillary 2 molar
-mesiolingual of a maxillary 2 molar

correct me if wrong

Thank you be positive, that was a lightning response! Here are some more folks!
1.Which of the following molar roots in wide faciolingually and concave on both mesial and distal surfaces?
distofacial of a maxillary first
lingual of maxillary first
mesial of mandibular first
distal of mandibular first

2.which of the following premolars has a mesial root depression except
Maxillary first
maxillary second
mandibular first
mandibular second.

3.the primary mandibular second molar normally exhibits which of the following characteristics?
One tranverse ridge
two occlusal pits
three roots
three occlusal fossae
four cusps

4.How many cusps are seen from the distal aspect of the maxillary first molar?

5.When viewed from the frontal plane and progressing posteriorly, the axial inclination of the crowns of maxillary posterior teeth
remains vertical
inclines lingually
inclines distally
inclines mesially
inclines buccally

Thank you be positive, that was a lightning response! Here are some more folks!
1.Which of the following molar roots in wide faciolingually and concave on both mesial and distal surfaces?
distofacial of a maxillary first
lingual of maxillary first
mesial of mandibular first--ans
distal of mandibular first

Maxillary first
maxillary second
mandibular first
mandibular second.

3.the primary mandibular second molar normally exhibits which of the following characteristics?
One tranverse ridge
two occlusal pits
three roots
three occlusal fossae
four cusps--ans

4.How many cusps are seen from the distal aspect of the maxillary first molar?
3--ans

5.When viewed from the frontal plane and progressing posteriorly, the axial inclination of the crowns of maxillary posterior teeth
remains vertical
inclines lingually
inclines distally
inclines mesially
inclines buccally

correct me if wrong

hey dentgod!!do u have the key??what does it say??

The reason that water will move toward the saline is a quiet simple example of concepts learned in 6th grade chemistry. When NaCl is placed into water is dissociated into 2 ions Na+ and CL-. therefore there are twice as many ions in concentration. Glucose will not dissociate. therefore water will move toward the area of greater concentration to try and equilbrate.

this is incorrect. Most primary infections are subclinical = true
latent infections are in the ganglia = true (trigimenal)
type 1 is most often in the mouth and oral cavity
Recurrent lesions are not worse than primary lesions, yes most primary infections are subclinical, however when there is a lesion its called primary gingivostomatitis and presents with multiple lesion on both bound and movable mucosa along with a fiery gingiva, often described as mouth on fire and sore throat from hell. So primary lesions are worse than secondary lesions. Lipid solvent do not inactivate the virus they live in neural tissue for gods sake which is coated by a lipid membrane.

Because herpes simply 1 buds through the nuclear membrane, it it sensitive to lipid solvents.
wiki: "Symptoms resulting from primary infection with HSV are usually more severe than subsequent outbreaks, as the body has not had a chance to produce antibodies."
It is also common knowledge (at least in my neck of the woods) that the first herpes outbreak is the worst (though all old asda papers say that the first infection is subclinical...so i guess when it becomes CLINICAL the first time is the worst.)[/QUOTE]

With all due regards to the explanation here ,
HSV 1 , primary sites affected , is not just oral /peri-oral , and thus the 3rd option , and acc to shafers , its primary lesions which are mostly misdiagnosed, and hence subclinical or may be just with a range of prodromal symptoms , masking the disease .

imo , 3rd option is the ans for 1st q

Pls correct me !

Hey dentgod,

if the question is "all of the follwong ........except" , then

Maxillary first
maxillary second
mandibular first
mandibular second.(answer)

pls confirm

Does anyone here have a any idea where to do the occlusal shapes of each tooth from , if its well formatted in any books or notes please lead me to that, its so terribly confusing !

Or if someone has memorised it, pls post it here, so that we all know .

hi dentgod,,I also think the correct answer has to be cellultis not granulomatous inflammation, pl do check the answer again. the features given in the question are characterisitc of cellulitis not granulomatous inflammation.

cellulitis
granulation tissue

thank you UKdent, truth seeker, teethie and be positive. Please come forward n solve the DA questions, becoz the count down have already started.

hey truth,
since the maxillary 1 premolar and mandibular 1 premolar has the depressions like mesial developmental depression and mesiolingual developmental groove respectively, I dont know how to rule out the maxillary 2 premolar and end up in the mandibular 2 premolar. Please shed some light in this and get me outta the riddle.

1.When viewed from the frontal plane and progressing posteriorly, the axial inclination of the crowns of maxillary posterior teeth
remains vertical

inclines lingually
inclines distally
inclines mesially
inclines buccally

2.when viewed from the saggital plane nd progressing anteriorly, the axial inclination of the anterior teeth
remains vertical
inclines facially
inclines mesially
inclines distally
inclines lingually

3.on the crown of the mandibular canine, the general convexity is normally not so great as thatof which of the following teeth?
maxillary canine
maxillary incisors
mandi incisors
maxillary premolars
mandibular "

4.the incisal embrasure is the smallest btwn of the following two teeth?
maxillary central incisors
mandi " "
maxi central and lateral incisors
mandibular lateral and central incisors

5.which of the following represents the groove on the occlusal surface of the maxillary premolars that originates in the mesial pit and extends toward the MB line angles?
Central
MB secondary
MB triangular
ML triangular
mesial marginal

6.which portion of the maxillary canine might one expect to find the widest faciolingual measurement of its pulp?
Apical third of root
incisal third of root
middle third of root
cervical third of root

hey truth,
since the maxillary 1 premolar and mandibular 1 premolar has the depressions like mesial developmental depression and mesiolingual developmental groove respectively, I dont know how to rule out the maxillary 2 premolar and end up in the mandibular 2 premolar. Please shed some light in this and get me outta the riddle.

Acc to wheelers,when you compare mesial of max 2nd pm and mand 2nd pm , it says a shallow developmental groove on mesial aspect of root (both have 1 root) , but this is the difference .

Hope it helps !. Even i got confused when i read the q 1st .

Thank you truth! So the answer is the mandibular 2 premolar which doesn't have any groove on the mesial side of its single root , is it?

It is also common knowledge (at least in my neck of the woods) that the first herpes outbreak is the worst (though all old asda papers say that the first infection is subclinical...so i guess when it becomes CLINICAL the first time is the worst.)

HSV 1 , primary sites affected , is not just oral /peri-oral , and thus the 3rd option , and acc to shafers , its primary lesions which are mostly misdiagnosed, and hence subclinical or may be just with a range of prodromal symptoms , masking the disease .

Pls correct me ![/QUOTE]

I am not sure about this, this primary location for HSV type I is the oral cavity, note the question say most are found around the mouth and oral cavity which is very true, You are correct in saying that it can occur in other places: second most common for HSV type I is the genital followed by the fingers(herpetic witlow) but by far 96% of outbreaks with occur around or in the oral cavity. Second the primary lesions outbreak of HSV is called herpetic gingivostomatitist, which is very painful, Lesions is a key to this answer, subclinical infection which is most common when first infected with HSV will have no lesions(hence subclinical) So when the question talks about primary LESIONS, they are referring to herpetic gingivostomatitist, which would be very painful, alot worse than recurrent herpetic ulcers on the hard palate or recurrent herpes labialis. Most primary infections are subclinical and they pt has no idea they have been infected, until they get the secondary infections. Also a primary infection is not the first time you see it clinically, It is when you first contract the virus, There are some general things that follow after primary infection: your body fights off infection produces antibodies which will elimate the virus or in the case of HSV it doesn't because the virus lives in the ganglion, 2.you body can't fight the infection completely and your get lesions and symptoms that develop, which are primary lesions for the few people that develop primary lesions, you will know b/c they will be in your office complaining of fire in their mouth. Also when you are talking about prodromal symptoms, this is refering to secondary lesions, there is no way to have prodromal symptoms of a primary lesion. Since primary lesions occur at the time of contraction of the virus the word prodromal means that you are getting symptoms before the actual clinical visualization of a lesion, and since primary lesions occur at the time of contraction you cant have symptoms before you actually get the virus, so prodromal makes absolutely no sense.

For reference this is information is from Dr. Douglas Damm, Dr. Brad Neville, and Dr. Dean White who wrote the text book "Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology" and "Color Atlas of Clinical Oral Pathology " and also run the oral pathology lab at the University of Kentucky.
The key to this test and any test is to pay attention to what the question is asking, a single word can dramatically change the answer.

UKdent, primary infection and primary lesion are not the same thing. primary infections are subclinical. primary lesions are far worse than secondary lesions (as you described yourself). Prodrome is the tingling/burning/aching that comes before the lesion erupts, which can occur before the primary lesions as well!!! As for the lipid solvent, it means a solvent that dissolved lipid, as in alcohol.

Pls correct me !

I am not sure about this, this primary location for HSV type I is the oral cavity, note the question say most are found around the mouth and oral cavity which is very true, You are correct in saying that it can occur in other places: second most common for HSV type I is the genital followed by the fingers(herpetic witlow) but by far 96% of outbreaks with occur around or in the oral cavity. Second the primary lesions outbreak of HSV is called herpetic gingivostomatitist, which is very painful, Lesions is a key to this answer, subclinical infection which is most common when first infected with HSV will have no lesions(hence subclinical) So when the question talks about primary LESIONS, they are referring to herpetic gingivostomatitist, which would be very painful, alot worse than recurrent herpetic ulcers on the hard palate or recurrent herpes labialis. Most primary infections are subclinical and they pt has no idea they have been infected, until they get the secondary infections. Also a primary infection is not the first time you see it clinically, It is when you first contract the virus, There are some general things that follow after primary infection: your body fights off infection produces antibodies which will elimate the virus or in the case of HSV it doesn't because the virus lives in the ganglion, 2.you body can't fight the infection completely and your get lesions and symptoms that develop, which are primary lesions for the few people that develop primary lesions, you will know b/c they will be in your office complaining of fire in their mouth. Also when you are talking about prodromal symptoms, this is refering to secondary lesions, there is no way to have prodromal symptoms of a primary lesion. Since primary lesions occur at the time of contraction of the virus the word prodromal means that you are getting symptoms before the actual clinical visualization of a lesion, and since primary lesions occur at the time of contraction you cant have symptoms before you actually get the virus, so prodromal makes absolutely no sense.

For reference this is information is from Dr. Douglas Damm, Dr. Brad Neville, and Dr. Dean White who wrote the text book "Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology" and "Color Atlas of Clinical Oral Pathology " and also run the oral pathology lab at the University of Kentucky.
The key to this test and any test is to pay attention to what the question is asking, a single word can dramatically change the answer.[/QUOTE]

Agreed ,and i dont defy Neville , but , i also quoted Shafers .

Pls do post the answers with the explanations. Thank you.
the free gingiva extends from the
1. attached gingiva to the interdental groove
2. gingival crest to the interdental groove
3.alveolar mucosa to the free gingival groove
4. mucogingival junction to the free gingival groove
5. epithelial attachment to the CEJ

A drug D has a pK of 6.4. At a pH of 7.4, which of the followin approximates the ratio of the unprotonated form to the protonated form (D-/HD)?

A drug D has a pK of 6.4. At a pH of 7.4, which of the followin approximates the ratio of the unprotonated form to the protonated form (D-/HD)?

When pH is lower than pKa then the solution has a higher concentration of H+, so the Solution DONATES H+. When the pH is HIGHER than the pKa, the solution TAKES AWAY H+ ions, because it is more basic.

When the pH goes up a unit, it means that the H+ concentration decreases by ten:
pH 7 = 1*10^-7
pH 8 = 1*10^-8

with these facts in mind, when the pK is one unit below the pH, the solution will TAKE AWAY protons (deprotonate)
therefor D-/DH = 10/1 = 10

at least this is how i understand these problems. Please let me know if I am way off.

hey dentgod and spazzing ,

here's this question, in I-D and I-F , what is the correct answer to that ?
Is I-D key wrong ?

please confirm

Pls do post the answers with the explanations. Thank you.
the free gingiva extends from the
1. attached gingiva to the interdental groove
2. gingival crest to the interdental groove (answer)
3.alveolar mucosa to the free gingival groove
4. mucogingival junction to the free gingival groove
5. epithelial attachment to the CEJ

Free gingiva is from gingival crest to free gingival groove

thank you truth. the question is from the Paper N and it had the wrong answer in the key as choice A. And I had one more question for you folks.

Hypomineralized structures which extend from the DEJ to the surface of the enamel are called
enamel rods
enamel lamellae
enamel spindles
hunter-schreger bands
incremantal lines of retzius.
Pls do post the answer.

in erythropoiesis, which of the following increases from the proerythroblast to the mature erythroblast?
Cell size
Phagocytic ability
Cytoplasmic acidophilia
Cytoplasmic basophilia

thank you truth. the question is from the Paper N and it had the wrong answer in the key as choice A. And I had one more question for you folks.

Hypomineralized structures which extend from the DEJ to the surface of the enamel are called
enamel rods
enamel lamellae
enamel spindles
hunter-schreger bands
incremantal lines of retzius.
Pls do post the answer.

enamel lamellae