EVMS vs UVM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newdocintown

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, guys. I am a long-time lurker here.
I was fortunate this cycle to receive acceptances to these schools.

I liked them both during my interviews, but as the May 15th deadline is coming up and I have to decide on one, I really need your help.

I really liked Vermont's intergrated curriculum and how they put everythong on the COMET online database, but I am afraid the fact that they take the boards early in February might not give me enough time to study and prepare for them. Will the current students at UVM give me any insight into this?
Also, this might sound silly, I know, but I have heard about the cold weather there and the predominantly white demographic, and as an Asian American from Southern California, I am wondering if I might have a hard time adjusting to the environment there.

As far as EVMS.. I wasn't too impressed with their facilities but I understand that they are buiding a brand new medical school building for this year, so I'm assuming that the facilities will be really nice when I attend, but I also didn't like that classes are not set up in a block schedule and typically 9 to 4. I think it would be really exhausting to go through that and then spend more time studying on my own everyday. I also wanted to hear some current students' opinions about this.

I looked at the match lists for both schools, but I really don't know how I'm supposed to be looking at and comparing match lists. I would appreciate it if someone told me how. Also, I don't know where I could find average Step 1 scores, so if anyone knows, please let me know.
Thank you for your replies in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, guys. I am a long-time lurker here.
I was fortunate this cycle to receive acceptances to these schools.

I liked them both during my interviews, but as the May 15th deadline is coming up and I have to decide on one, I really need your help.

I really liked Vermont's intergrated curriculum and how they put everythong on the COMET online database, but I am afraid the fact that they take the boards early in February might not give me enough time to study and prepare for them. Will the current students at UVM give me any insight into this?
Also, this might sound silly, I know, but I have heard about the cold weather there and the predominantly white demographic, and as an Asian American from Southern California, I am wondering if I might have a hard time adjusting to the environment there.

As far as EVMS.. I wasn't too impressed with their facilities but I understand that they are buiding a brand new medical school building for this year, so I'm assuming that the facilities will be really nice when I attend, but I also didn't like that classes are not set up in a block schedule and typically 9 to 4. I think it would be really exhausting to go through that and then spend more time studying on my own everyday. I also wanted to hear some current students' opinions about this.

I looked at the match lists for both schools, but I really don't know how I'm supposed to be looking at and comparing match lists. I would appreciate it if someone told me how. Also, I don't know where I could find average Step 1 scores, so if anyone knows, please let me know.
Thank you for your replies in advance!

Hey I am going to attend UVM this fall, but I had similar doubts as to whether or not we would be prepared for Step 1. I talked to a current 2nd year who is now doing his rotations (after already completing Step 1). His response was the UVM's unique curriculum really prepared him for it, and that it really comes down to how well you prepare individually too. I have been accepted to multiple schools and I still feel like UVM is the best fit for me. I hope this helps. Also are you attending the closer look?

Hey I am going to attend UVM this fall, but I had similar doubts as to whether or not we would be prepared for Step 1. I talked to a current 2nd year who is now doing his rotations (after already completing Step 1). His response was the UVM's unique curriculum really prepared him for it, and that it really comes down to how well you prepare individually too. I have been accepted to multiple schools and I still feel like UVM is the best fit for me. I hope this helps. Also are you attending the closer look?

Hmm...that's good to hear about the student feeling prepared for the step 1. Do you know how many weeks we get off to study for that? I will not be attending the closer look because I will be traveling outside the country pretty soon. Are you? If you are, I would really appreciate it if you posted what you got out of the experience. Can any current students from UVM or EVMS comment more about their experiences at each school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm...that's good to hear about the student feeling prepared for the step 1. Do you know how many weeks we get off to study for that? I will not be attending the closer look because I will be traveling outside the country pretty soon. Are you? If you are, I would really appreciate it if you posted what you got out of the experience. Can any current students from UVM or EVMS comment more about their experiences at each school?

I am going to Closer Look, and can post how the experience goes. I think they give us about a month to take step 1. Also, there is a facebook group for those of us accepted and there are some other first years in the group too if you have any other questions.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_139231432811418&ap=1

I'd go to UVM. A friend of mine goes there and loves it. The clinical training is excellent. Vermont isn't particularly diverse, but Burlington might be an exception to that since it's a big college town. It's a really cool city anyways.

the whole month of February is marked off for Step I at UVM. in addition, the last preclinical course, that starts after the Xmas break, is meant to be a "part-time" course intended to help with board prep, largely featuring problem-based learning in groups and still allowing for independent board study. being ready for boards is really all about 1) working hard in class so you know the material when it's time to review, and 2) time management - i think a lot of people at schools with lots of time don't end up focusing and using the extra time well. so i think looking at how much time a school gives to study for Step I is often misleading. another thing i'll add is that the first time Step I pass rate at UVM exceeds the national average, so make of that what you will.

if you look at the newer curricula being rolled out at schools across the country, including many of the better regarded ones, the emerging trend is one that shortens preclinical times, making more time for clinical rotations in M3/4. it's a big advantage to already have a couple AIs under your belt before you apply for residency. if it's good enough for Columbia and UCSD, I think it's good enough for me :laugh: I really, really like the VIC and can't imagine the alternative (a year long course of nothing but pharm, ugh)

you're right that Vermont isn't very diverse, ethnically speaking. but Burlington does have a number of minority communities (Somali Bantu, Nepalese, Burmese, a thriving LGBTQ community etc) that the school takes trouble to engage the students with, starting the first year. Burlington is a fun town (as i hope you discovered when you were here!) and you won't have trouble finding things to do. although, if you absolutely must, must be in a big city for med school, this might not be a good place for you.

lastly, of course it's cold. but don't worry, you'll have plenty of company to complain about it in your fellow Californians!!! (the class of 2014 is 25% Californian)

Thank you for your replies.
Can any current EVMS students comment on your school?
Also, does anyone know if classes are mandatory for these schools?
Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.