EVMS vs Rush vs CDU (family edition)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USN2MD

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
*Please do not quote*

Hi everyone, I’m in the middle of visiting schools and trying to get an opinion about schools. Little background info, non-trad, married (RN but will likely take time off), two children, 1 entering school and the other a toddler. Likely not interested in a competitive specialty, most competitive would be gas, with interest in FM, IM, or peds subspecialty. VA paying for school, so tuition is not an issue.

Rush
$2709 BAH
Pros:
  • Enjoyed culture, everyone seems friendly, seems it extends to faculty
  • Service aspect is a big draw, feel like that’s type of physician I want to be
  • Two major airports that we could use that have direct flights to cities we have family at.
  • Clerkship site at Rush Medical Center or County. One place for all clerkships
  • Daycare on site (need to find more info)
  • Won’t have to leave building during winter
  • Lots to do for adults and family
Cons:
  • Will likely commute to school. Estimate about 30 mins each way I’d leave before rush hour.
  • Would have to do pre-matriculation program (pro and con? Get head start but will likely not move family till after the program)
  • Hate the cold
  • Few good public schools, will limit where to live
  • Have issues balancing family and EC especially when helping others
  • Dissection anatomy and space seemed small
  • City environment, crowded and more fast-paced (harder for wife and kids)

EVMS
$2034 BAH
Pros:
  • Nearby military base. Will have access to commissary. Large military/veteran community. Want to possibly go back in (reserves not AD)
  • Great public elementary schools so have options on where to live
  • Best housing options, large houses with large yards for kids to grow and enjoyment potential
  • Slower city vibe
  • Reasonably priced
  • Service oriented but not as much as Rush (supposedly, still trying to get opinions on school culture)
Cons:
  • Worse options for travel. Airport is small and doesn’t connect to the cities we have family at. Would mean increased cost and travel time.
  • Been difficult to talk to people, students and faculty. Just a bad bunch or indicative of the culture?
  • Less known?
CDU
$3531 BAH
Pros:
  • Closest to support system. Easier to see majority of family.
  • HBCU highly believe in the mission to serve those communities
  • Able to continue active participate in organization that have been working with for two years (able to at other schools but it’s based out of CA)
  • Possible professional connections through said organization
  • 1.5 year curriculum
Cons:
  • May not be paid for by VA (will likely not consider if that’s the case)
  • Most expensive place to live
  • Clinical sites spread throughout LA, will make clerkships longer due to drive
Other schools:
Accepted: Drexel (Reading Campus)
Waitlist: Morehouse, Quillen
Pending decision: Indiana

Members don't see this ad.

About EVMS, have you seen if you could travel to the Richmond airport for better flight options? I think Richmond is about 1.5-2 hours away from Norfolk.

About EVMS, have you seen if you could travel to the Richmond airport for better flight options? I think Richmond is about 1.5-2 hours away from Norfolk.
Where we currently live is about that distance away from an airport. It turns picking someone up in to a half-day event. Not the worst, but having easy access travel is highly preferred