This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M3_SixSpeed

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
Wondering what you all would suggest the best masters program would be out of EVMS med masters 1 year, LECOM and Heritage MAMS. What I did like about EVMS is its 1 year and potential to matriculate to an MD program. problem with EVMS is I rarely find any info about it on the forums. The school enviornment was super supportive and I spoke to a professor at EVMS and an admissions person and they seemed very caring.

For LECOM Bradenton there is a lot of forums out there and I know someone who went through the LECOM program and is now a second year medical student.

Heritage MAMS appeals to me because I intend to pursue the military following matriculation to medical school and I know PNWU is a military friendly university.

Thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

If you aspire to be a doctor then I'd advise you to skip the anecdotes and start looking at statistics. How much does each school cost? How successful are their graduates at getting into medical school? How do you like the area and would you be interested in living for several years if you were to attend medical school there? All of this information can be found on their websites and in some basic research about the schools. Forum posts will only give you the perspective of a few individuals which could be tainted by their own performance (good and bad) and relative success. I don't know of many people in my med school class who are unhappy with the SMP we did, although I know many others who didn't get in and blame the SMP.

If you aspire to be a doctor then I'd advise you to skip the anecdotes and start looking at statistics. How much does each school cost? How successful are their graduates at getting into medical school? How do you like the area and would you be interested in living for several years if you were to attend medical school there? All of this information can be found on their websites and in some basic research about the schools. Forum posts will only give you the perspective of a few individuals which could be tainted by their own performance (good and bad) and relative success. I don't know of many people in my med school class who are unhappy with the SMP we did, although I know many others who didn't get in and blame the SMP.

Looked at the stats published online. All boast 87% matriculation to medical school after. Ive looked into the medical schools match rates usmle scores and match list. Lived in Fl, visited Va but havent checked out Heritage. Location doesnt matter to me as I've moved several times I enjoy moving. Evms has the least abundance of info when it comes to forums so I was hoping to hear from those who went through the program and of course I'd take with a grain of salt. Annectodal helps get a feel of the program in my opinion since all their numbers are basically the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looked at the stats published online. All boast 87% matriculation to medical school after. Ive looked into the medical schools match rates usmle scores and match list. Lived in Fl, visited Va but havent checked out Heritage. Location doesnt matter to me as I've moved several times I enjoy moving. Evms has the least abundance of info when it comes to forums so I was hoping to hear from those who went through the program and of course I'd take with a grain of salt. Annectodal helps get a feel of the program in my opinion since all their numbers are basically the same.
Yeah, but EVMS is also the only MD school. While it doesn't make a huge difference in specialty that it once made, it definitely still has a measurable effect in the more competitive residencies and specialties.

I visited LECOM bradenton and I liked the building, but I didn't like the dress code, mandatory attendance, and the way they organize clinical clerkships (it's kinda all over the place). Good price, though. There's not a ton to do in Bradenton and it's a slightly older town, but other places aren't too far away and the weather is always nice.

EVMS is in Hampton Roads and right beside Norfolk naval station so I'd imagine they'd have a pretty strong link to the military. Lots of things to do in VA Beach, Newport News, Norfolk, etc. Decent weather with some winter.

Heritage - Athens, OH. I know nothing about the school but I can tell you that Athens is in the middle of nowhere and there's nothing to do for miles around. You're basically in the middle of the meth/opioid epidemic with WV, KY, and PA. Also, winter in OH lasts forever. Would definitely be my last choice.

Yeah, but EVMS is also the only MD school. While it doesn't make a huge difference in specialty that it once made, it definitely still has a measurable effect in the more competitive residencies and specialties.

I visited LECOM bradenton and I liked the building, but I didn't like the dress code, mandatory attendance, and the way they organize clinical clerkships (it's kinda all over the place). Good price, though. There's not a ton to do in Bradenton and it's a slightly older town, but other places aren't too far away and the weather is always nice.

EVMS is in Hampton Roads and right beside Norfolk naval station so I'd imagine they'd have a pretty strong link to the military. Lots of things to do in VA Beach, Newport News, Norfolk, etc. Decent weather with some winter.

Heritage - Athens, OH. I know nothing about the school but I can tell you that Athens is in the middle of nowhere and there's nothing to do for miles around. You're basically in the middle of the meth/opioid epidemic with WV, KY, and PA. Also, winter in OH lasts forever. Would definitely be my last choice.

Yup everything you said about LECOM Is spot on with my thoughts. I did like that LECOM was more transparent with the residency matches by location and speciality though.
I should have clarified. The heritage mams is in Washington state sorry about that.
So overall youd say EVMS is safest choice?

Yup everything you said about LECOM Is spot on with my thoughts. I did like that LECOM was more transparent with the residency matches by location and speciality though.
I should have clarified. The heritage mams is in Washington state sorry about that.
So overall youd say EVMS is safest choice?
Yeah, I just looked up Heritage WA and it's even more in the middle of nowhere. That would be a big deterrent for me. Also

Safest is a tough word. I'd say it's the strongest choice since it's an MD school. I can't say anything about the comparative rates of acceptance after going to these programs. I'd apply to all, see where you get accepted, and then go EVMS > Bradenton > Heritage (unless you love WA or have some kind of connection there)

Yeah, I just looked up Heritage WA and it's even more in the middle of nowhere. That would be a big deterrent for me. Also

Safest is a tough word. I'd say it's the strongest choice since it's an MD school. I can't say anything about the comparative rates of acceptance after going to these programs. I'd apply to all, see where you get accepted, and then go EVMS > Bradenton > Heritage (unless you love WA or have some kind of connection there)
Yeah that's what I thought too. The MD might be helpful. I mean, D.O and M.D are basically the same now but I'm sure there are prejudices out there when competing for residencies

What are you deciding to go with? I was in a dilemma with certain other schools including Toledo's Masters.

What are you deciding to go with? I was in a dilemma with certain other schools including Toledo's Masters.
Hey I went with EVMS. So far glad I did. Seems like very helpful faculty and my cohort already created a group me and are all very friendly and helpful. What did you end up doing?

Reactions: 1 users
Hey I went with EVMS. So far glad I did. Seems like very helpful faculty and my cohort already created a group me and are all very friendly and helpful. What did you end up doing?
I am still looking around forums evaluating each to the bare bones.. I am taking a retake MCAT soon which will tell me what options I really have.

I am still looking around forums evaluating each to the bare bones.. I am taking a retake MCAT soon which will tell me what options I really have.

From what I gathered, almost any SMP will prepare you and most people who were successful at it had no complaints. Of course, not every SMP is completely equal. I went with EVMS since it had a potential matriculation to their medical school. Drexel also has this, its a guaranteed acceptance but the requirements were something like 3.7 GPA or better in the SMP with a pretty high MCAT score. There are plenty of D.O SMPs out there but keep in mind what specialty you would like to some day pursue. MD does still have higher match rates to the more competitive specialties than D.O.

Are you looking to apply for next year?