Everyone who hates hard decisions, raise your hand

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jocks

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy Y'all,

Ok, so here's my situation: I'm sitting on an acceptance to UCD's 5-year program. At the same time I'm waiting to hear back from St. Louis University, where I interviewed a couple of weeks ago. After visiting St. Louis, I found their med school fairly solid...but I wasn't as impressed as I was with UCD.
My problem is that when it comes to residency, SLU presents a safer option with fewer hoops to jump through. All things being equal I'd go to UCD...unfortunately they're not, so I'm presented with the safe unappealing option, or the risky and appealing option. Any thoughts, comments are welcome.

Cheers,
Jocks

Members don't see this ad.

Jocks,

First of all, congratulations on your acceptance to UCD and your interview at SLU...I hope it went well.

If I were you in this situation, I would be asking myself some serious questions. Ideally, the answers to these questions should help you decide, but then again, who says that this world is ideal?!?!?

- Where eventually do you want to practice medicine?
- Do you have any family committments that require you to stay "closer" to home?
- Have you visited both campuses? Can you compare the resources of each campus?
.....more to follow...this is just an introduction

Good luck.

Jocks said:
Howdy Y'all,

Ok, so here's my situation: I'm sitting on an acceptance to UCD's 5-year program. At the same time I'm waiting to hear back from St. Louis University, where I interviewed a couple of weeks ago. After visiting St. Louis, I found their med school fairly solid...but I wasn't as impressed as I was with UCD.
My problem is that when it comes to residency, SLU presents a safer option with fewer hoops to jump through. All things being equal I'd go to UCD...unfortunately they're not, so I'm presented with the safe unappealing option, or the risky and appealing option. Any thoughts, comments are welcome.

Cheers,
Jocks

If you are accepted at St. Louis, I'd say go there for sure.

No matter how spectacular UCD may be, it is still offshore, and you will be labelled an IMG FOREVER!!! (dun, dun dun....lol)

I don't think it's worth risking your residency and your #1 choice of specialty.

If you can stay here, stay here. You won't have to worry as much. Besides, it's an extra year at UCD isn't it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Jocks said:
Howdy Y'all,

Cheers,
Jocks
Impartial advice urges you to take the U.S. school if it's offered. Unless you feel you'll sink into a deep, dark depression by staying here, if you want to practice in North America eventually, you'd be crazy to go overseas right now.

This is kind of cheeky of me as I completely did not follow the advice I'll give you now: Stay in the US, it is easier that way and prepares you for a US system. The reason I didn't do that was because I did feel I would sink into deep dark depression if I did stay :)

Jocks said:
Howdy Y'all,

Cheers,
Jocks

If you plan on continuing your residency training and practicing in the U.S. and you are offered a position at SLU, then you are best served to accept the position at SLU. Although you will have to work just as hard either way to achhieve your goals, you will be faced with many more obstacles if you train in Ireland and are an FMG, on many different levels, ie., opportunities for electives, residency matching, logistics in getting your training permits and license in time to start residency, etc. You should read about the requirements to get your ECFMG certificate and you should visit some of the state medical licensing websites to see how the requirements for a physician in training permit or physician license differ for a U.S. graduate and a FMG. Also, remember that when you read about all of these regulations and processes that getting these things in order takes time and money and you encounter many unforseen and unpredictable obstacles that cause unnecessary stress and delays along the way, in some cases preventing from starting your residency in time, acquiring a medical license early in your residency so that you can moonlight and make some extra income, etc.

This is just my opinion based on my experience acquired during my time in medical school in Dublin, during my transition to residency in the U.S. and, now, as a resident in the U.S.

Anyone have an idea how "easy" it is to return to the states after Ireland??

Sometimes I hear that it's simple for the states because there're so many residency spots, as long as you do your homework and research all the steps, take the initiative, and ace the USMLE .. it shouldn't be too bad...
then again that was from cdn doctors who compare that process to the integration of IMGs in CANADA .. which might have made the road into the states seem very easy just because canada route is that much more difficult...

other times it seems like it's still a crap shoot to get into a good residency that you like...

then again it's hard to define "easy"... maybe I should ask, "How do-able is it?" I know many have gone through the process and have succeeded, but those who don't succeed - what happens to them!?

P.S. I need some advice. Accepted to RCSI 6-yr, waitlisted on UCD 6-yr ... need to pay RCSI deposit by June, and RCSI 1st yr nonrefundable tuition by August...

but there's a chance I might not be able to receive news from UCD until September...(or never, even!)

Anyone?? :(

Jocks said:
Howdy Y'all,

Cheers,
Jocks

Oooh tough call, especially seeing that since you're from Canada you'd be an international med student at either place you go. Both are good schools in their own right. If you want to play it safe you might go with SLU, although a superb education like UCD is hardly rolling the dice by any means.