"Everyone wants to be a plasticologist"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dnz451

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From today's NY times:

"Five years ago, cosmetic medicine was primarily the domain of plastic surgeons, facial surgeons and dermatologists — medical school graduates who undergo several years of training in facial skin and its underlying anatomy. But now obstetricians, family practitioners and emergency room physicians are gravitating to the beauty business, lured by lucrative cosmetic treatments that require same-day payments because they are not covered by insurance and by a medical practice without bothersome midnight emergency calls."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/30/us/30plastic.html?ex=1322542800&en=af8fd6a7b0735b4f&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

I wanted to see what you guys think about this. How much of a threat is this to BC plastics drs and/or patients.

Members don't see this ad.

That's awesome! I had doubts about going into IM since I figured I'm going to make squat compared to other specialties, but now I see I only have to do a few CME classes here and there and I can hustle my way into a porsche in no time. Awesome!

Disclaimer: I'm not being sarcastic. If there's money to be made without the effort and BS of extended residency training, then I'm going after it.

From the article: "Dr. Amy E. Newburger, a dermatologist in Scarsdale, N.Y., says she regularly treats complications caused by noncore physicians. One recent patient, she recalled, came in with a botched Botox treatment from an oncologist: one eyebrow was almost an inch higher than the other."

Besides being thigh-slappingly funny, it's also interesting to note that's just a derm case! I imagine the shame/pain/inconvenience of walking around with a botched boob job would be even worse.

I think these non-core doctors may bite into the periphery of the cosmetic procedure profit pool, but ultimately, I would guess that plastic surgeons and dermatologists should keep most of the business they currently have.

Members don't see this ad :)
Disclaimer: When your "ulcerations" turn into permanent scarring, I will be the first to testify against you in court. Hustle, hustle, hustle!

Disclaimer: When your "ulcerations" turn into permanent scarring, I will be the first to testify against you in court. Hustle, hustle, hustle!

Oh god...:rolleyes:

From today's NY times:

"Five years ago, cosmetic medicine was primarily the domain of plastic surgeons, facial surgeons and dermatologists — medical school graduates who undergo several years of training in facial skin and its underlying anatomy. But now obstetricians, family practitioners and emergency room physicians are gravitating to the beauty business, lured by lucrative cosmetic treatments that require same-day payments because they are not covered by insurance and by a medical practice without bothersome midnight emergency calls."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/30/us/30plastic.html?ex=1322542800&en=af8fd6a7b0735b4f&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

I wanted to see what you guys think about this. How much of a threat is this to BC plastics drs and/or patients.

If regular medicine paid as well... doctors wouldnt be dying to be medical beauticians.

"but dermatologists and plastic surgeons can’t own aesthetic medicine by themselves."

Umm, why not? Sounds like a bratty child. 'Mommm! They won't share!'

From today's NY times:

The other side probably sees it the same way:

"Mommy, only I can have the toys! Tell them to play with something else!"

The other side probably sees it the same way:

"Mommy, only I can have the toys! Tell them to play with something else!"

They are more likely to call the other side "greedy" whiny kids.

Here are the letters to the editor regarding this article...

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/04/opinion/l04beauty.html

Excerpt:

"I’m disgusted. We train our best students to be doctors, and look what we get: a bunch of spoiled doctors squabbling over cosmetic surgery like kids over the last cookie.

Wake up! Some 16 percent of Americans don’t have health insurance, and numerous health disparities face our population. Working with underserved populations isn’t as glamorous as Botox, but it will do a lot more good."

To the Editor:

I’m disgusted. We train our best students to be doctors, and look what we get: a bunch of spoiled doctors squabbling over cosmetic surgery like kids over the last cookie.

Wake up! Some 16 percent of Americans don’t have health insurance, and numerous health disparities face our population. Working with underserved populations isn’t as glamorous as Botox, but it will do a lot more good.

Christine R. Fry
San Francisco, Nov. 30, 2006

To Ms. Fry (a well-intentioned lady who is clearly not in the medical field):

If I wanted to work long hours for crummy pay, I would not be borrowing ~$300K and heading off to medical school. I would be at Burger King.

To the Editor:

I’m disgusted. We train our best students to be doctors, and look what we get: a bunch of spoiled doctors squabbling over cosmetic surgery like kids over the last cookie.

Wake up! Some 16 percent of Americans don’t have health insurance, and numerous health disparities face our population. Working with underserved populations isn’t as glamorous as Botox, but it will do a lot more good.

Christine R. Fry
San Francisco, Nov. 30, 2006

I love it. "We" train "our" best students to be doctors. As if "we" had anything to do with it. As if "we" had any idea of the sacrifices it takes, emotional, financial and otherwise to become a doctor even if you are one of "our best students." I wish "we" would pay my godamn student loan payments or would have maybe bought me a package of Ramen noodles when I was in medical school. I love the use of the word "our" as if I am somehow owned by Ms. Fry. Perhaps I am owned by Ms. Fry and society simply because I was a good student, much like African Americans were owned by early Americans simply because of their black skin. This is just too rich. "we" need healthcare, I am able to provide it. "Our" need entitles us to my ability. Need = right in this society and 70% of the US thinks that healthcare is a right. Wake up people, idiots like Ms. Fry would enslave you if they had their way. And they WILL have their way soon. If you are providing services that people "need" look out.

It seems to me that our best students usually work their hardest in order to avoid working with underserved populations.