Ever been robbed while working?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ethyl

Go suck on a Zoloft.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How'd it turn out? Is anyone here avoiding retail because of the possible danger?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
The answer is yes. I was amazingly calm. My two students were at the back of the lab taking out the trash. They saw what was happening and scrammed. He kept asking where they went and I told him not to worry, just get the drugs you need and be on your way.

The worst part was when I called my wife she said she was waiting for this call for 20 years.....

My two students were at the back of the lab taking out the trash. They saw what was happening and scrammed.

Out of curiosity, what did the students say when they first came back? And was the robber armed?

I'm hoping that those students called police for you. Cuz that's messed up if they just took off.

That must've been scary for you and your wife. Glad it didn't turn out tragic.

Out of curiosity, what did the students say when they first came back? And was the robber armed?

The robber was armed and they did not call the police. It was over quickly and I don't know I want to be in the middle of two armed people....

Would this be a valid reason as to why pharmacists could/should have guns to protect themselves should an event like this occur? A lot of abortion doctors carry around guns for fear that a deranged anti-abortion activist becomes forceful in his viewpoints. I'm generally extremely anti-guns when it comes to a lot of things, but if some desperate person came at me in the pharmacy, I might set aside my political stances for a second for the sake of self preservation assuming a gun was available. Also, a legal question: if someone has held up a pharmacy, is the law on your side to shoot the perpertrator?

In AZ, if you or someone else is in immediate life threatening danger, you can use lethal force. An armed robbery victim is considered to be in a life threatening situation. Now the moment the guy starts running away, you can't shoot them in the back.

As to the pharmacy thing, the percentage of murders occurring during robberies is very, very low. This is because the thief just wants the drugs and to get out asap without causing a raucous. If a thief knew the pharmacist was armed, you know what would happen? The thief would walk up to the counter, pull the gun out, shoot the pharmacist in the face, rob the place, then leave.

How many bank employees are armed besides the security guard? Again none, because if they were, robbers would come in and simply kill everyone. The robbers will have scoped the place out and have a plan of action. Makes it very easy to be the aggressor and very difficult for the defender who's out in the open when the shooting starts. The amount of money a bank would lose to a robbery is tiny compared to the amount it would lose if it ended with a bunch of bodies on the floor.

Would this be a valid reason as to why pharmacists could/should have guns to protect themselves should an event like this occur? A lot of abortion doctors carry around guns for fear that a deranged anti-abortion activist becomes forceful in his viewpoints. I'm generally extremely anti-guns when it comes to a lot of things, but if some desperate person came at me in the pharmacy, I might set aside my political stances for a second for the sake of self preservation assuming a gun was available. Also, a legal question: if someone has held up a pharmacy, is the law on your side to shoot the perpertrator?

It's the last place you need a gun. It's only stuff or money. They can have it as long as nobody gets hurt....

We discussed this in our ethics course. A local pharmacist had been robbed in the past and began carrying a concealed weapon. One day in the pharmacy another robbery occured but this time the outcome was different. The pharmacist killed the theif in self-defense and was immediately cleared of any wrong doing.

However, he had to live with the greif of murder on his conscience and was constantly in fear of retaliation by the theif's family.

It's definitely something to give careful consideration to as far as carrying or not. Could you live with the weight of murder on your shoulders?

And like others have said if anyone knows you are carrying you are at a distinct disadvantage. It seems like alot of worries just to deal with a "potential" robbery.

I knew a pharmacist who had been held hostage at the back of the store. He thought to himself that being back there as a hostage was better than being at work; he left retail, or community, shortly after that. To add to the story, he continued working that evening and was told off by someone that didn't think being robbed was an excuse for her prescription not being filled yet. Yikes.

To add to the story, he continued working that evening and was told off by someone that didn't think being robbed was an excuse for her prescription not being filled yet. Yikes.

Now that's a good reason for pharmacists to be armed.

PS in case you haven't noticed I'm stalking you tonite.

Members don't see this ad :)
Now that's a good reason for pharmacists to be armed.

PS in case you haven't noticed I'm stalking you tonite.

If that happened to me and a patient came in after with that attitude, I'd tell them that I'm going home to have a beer and relax and they'll have to wait until another pharmacist comes in to get their script.

i think pharmacists should be allowed to be armed. they are in a scenario that puts them at risk to be robbed esp with oxycontin issue in the north east, most pharmacies do not carry the drugs and people needing it have to go to a special location. it is crazy. i def think pharmacists should be allowed to be armed when working. i do not see a problem with LAW obeying pharmacists having a weapon to protect themselves and coworkers from CRIMINALS who are armed illegally and putting your life in danger.

i think pharmacists should be allowed to be armed. they are in a scenario that puts them at risk to be robbed esp with oxycontin issue in the north east, most pharmacies do not carry the drugs and people needing it have to go to a special location. it is crazy. i def think pharmacists should be allowed to be armed when working. i do not see a problem with LAW obeying pharmacists having a weapon to protect themselves and coworkers from CRIMINALS who are armed illegally and putting your life in danger.

how many pharmacists have actually been injured from these robberies? wouldn't having pharmacists armed just escalate the violence?

i think the situation is a little different than with abortion doctors, since fanatics are specifically targeting to hurt those doctors.
people who rob pharmacies are not so much interested in hurting anyone as much as they are trying to steal prescription medications. not to say it isn't a serious issue, but i'm pretty sure that arming pharmacists is not the way to solve it.

mmm disagree here... people who want to rob pharmacies are generally averse to physical confrontation. By letting people know that pharmacists are armed will simply get those seeking to rob a pharmacy to arm themselves to match the person they are robbing.

Sure, I'll shoot in self defense...but given the choice of shooting a robber trying to get to C-II's or just giving up said C-II's with a lower risk of the robber being armed, I'll choose the latter.

And my goodness, I work with some pharmacists I wouldn't trust a nerf gun to.

i think all pharmacies should be equipped with fake CII's

This is a great idea! Just hand 'em over with a smile and hope they don't come back later looking for revenge for giving them a batch of placebos.

My father-in-law was friends with a pharmacist who got one of his fingers shot of in a struggle with a druggie who was trying to steal the good stuff. He was able to tackle the guy with help from a customer. This happened like 25 years ago in Minneapolis. Pretty cool story to tell people if you are that pharmacist...what a bad-butt!

This is a great idea! Just hand 'em over with a smile and hope they don't come back later looking for revenge for giving them a batch of placebos.

My father-in-law was friends with a pharmacist who got one of his fingers shot of in a struggle with a druggie who was trying to steal the good stuff. He was able to tackle the guy with help from a customer. This happened like 25 years ago in Minneapolis. Pretty cool story to tell people if you are that pharmacist...what a bad-butt!

placebo effect?

funny story a girl that i went to high school with once took a something that she thought was weed but ended up being dried grass, and she seemed not to know the difference.