"Eventually they [pharmacists] may perform the same services as PA & NP"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmBound2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I was reading this article on the "Demand for pharmacists on this rise,":p and while it seemed to be pro-pharm, it struck me when the author went on to say...

"Eventually, they may perform the same type of services as physician assistants and nurse practitioners.

"As mid-level providers, pharmacists will help with some of the crunch, with the numbers of people we're expecting to see," he said. "

I thought...SAY WHAAT?!

Members don't see this ad.

The closest thing I could see to that would be pharmacist prescribing. We're not trained to diagnose anything, contrary to what some customers may think, especially the ones who want us to diagnose their skin rashes over the phone.

:idea:

So, I was reading this article on the "Demand for pharmacists on this rise,":p and while it seemed to be pro-pharm, it struck me when the author went on to say...

"Eventually, they may perform the same type of services as physician assistants and nurse practitioners.

"As mid-level providers, pharmacists will help with some of the crunch, with the numbers of people we're expecting to see," he said. "

I thought...SAY WHAAT?!

This is a prelude to a potential flame war. I hope you are not a troll.

Each profession has its own place for cumulative healthcare delivery. Mid-levels are more likely to utilize pharmacy input and recommendations than physicians, and together, will help some of the crunch.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I want to practice medicine, I will just go to medical school.

If PA schools take 24-months to complete, hell, I don't see how a similar program for PharmDs wouldn't spit out a product vastly superior to PAs and NPs.

Of course, if the medical profession figured out how to get their people to actually practice primary care medicine rather than specialize at such a rate that there aren't enough PCPs, such a ridiculous concept as nurses, pharmacists, and assistants playing physician out of necessity wouldn't be an issue.

Our healthcare delivery system is just stupid, anyway. I'm just going to work until I'm 45 or so, then retire in Buenos Aires or something. $2000/month and you live like a king down there, you know. And by then, the majority of the population down there will speak English. And cable will be delivered through the internet, so I'll still get to watch WVU games. And Dave & Buster's will probably have an international empire.

Excellent...

I almost retired at 39.

Then lost a fortune in a blink of an eye.

That was awesome!

:thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user
I almost retired at 39.

Then lost a fortune in a blink of an eye.

That was awesome!

:thumbup:

That's what your dumb ass gets for investing in America.

Those banks that were too big to fail have gotten bigger by the way. Next time there is a panic in the financial sector, same thing is gonna happen. Invest in China and India. Get into Greek businesses here in a few years when they emerge from the darkness and begin to rebuild their economy.

Let me guess during the dotcom crash?

Or, might be during the real estate frenzy, buying each other houses to oblivion?

Wrong.

My investments are fine.

It's when your business partner pisses off the state medicaid officials...and they come after you. I learned it the hard way you can't fight the state. They're pretty immune from it all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wrong.

My investments are fine.

It's when your business partner pisses off the state medicaid officials...and they come after you. I learned it the hard way you can't fight the state. They're pretty immune from it all.

Well, you still invested in an American business.

Wrong.

My investments are fine.

Pull yourself up from your bootstraps and start again! Or have they put a timeframe for when you/your BP can open shop again?

Pull yourself up from your bootstraps and start again! Or have they put a timeframe for when you/your BP can open shop again?

Steady job you enjoy is the ultimate opium that keep a man down.

^
^

And I know that... so, when the timing is right, I'll jump back in. I'm taking a long deserved break.

Aren't you the one only buying American cars?

Yeah, but I'm not trying to make money in the stock market. The financial sector needs to be adjusted downward big time. Then the dollar can inflate and US based manufacturing can strengthen. The more the Dow is worth...the more the dollar is worth...the more we import...just diggin' a deeper hole.

I hope all y'all lose your asses in the US financial market for the sake of our future.

Yeah, but I'm not trying to make money in the stock market. The financial sector needs to be adjusted downward big time. Then the dollar can inflate and US based manufacturing can strengthen. The more the Dow is worth...the more the dollar is worth...the more we import...just diggin' a deeper hole.

I hope all y'all lose your asses in the US financial market for the sake of our future.

My investments were in real-estate. I did ok. I got out in time.

The future correction has nothing to do with how I run my finances.

That's why you buy ETF/funds that invests in China, India and Brazil >_> and a small stake in US...

Some places they already do.

Steady job you enjoy is the ultimate opium that keep a man down.

^
^

And I know that... so, when the timing is right, I'll jump back in. I'm taking a long deserved break.

Just curious about mixing business & pleasure. From what I've seen, it's not always easy to mix the two. Were you both able to keep your relationship after things fell apart businesswise?

Just curious about mixing business & pleasure. From what I've seen, it's not always easy to mix the two. Were you both able to keep your relationship after things fell apart businesswise?

No hard feelings. We started with a good will and we ended it that way.