Evaluate this LOR: Good, Bad or Neutral?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AustinTX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my recommenders showed me this LOR after submitting it to SOPHAS:

I supervised X during her internship at the [X non-profit] and now, as employee
of the organization. Through an array of projects in which X participates, I have observed that she is able to apply public health and community health education principles into practice.

X likes research and statistics; she is diligent, dependable, and self-directed but seeks guidance when needed.

I have no reservation in predicting that her inquisitive mind, her experience with the Latino culture, her communication skills, as well as her computer literacy will positively contribute to her success as a graduate student.

Although certainly not a weakness, she is encourage to continue her studies of the Spanish language.

I belief that X will be a great candidate and certainly hope that she is admitted into your program; thank you for the opportunity to provide this recommendation and please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of further assistance.

Do y'all think this will hurt my chances?
I am applying to University of Texas for the epidemiology program.
Here are my stats:

Overall GPA 3.8
Upper division/major GPA 4.0
GRE: Took 2 full length practice exams, scored average of V163, Q158, AW 4.5
Have volunteer experience, and multiple years of work experience in public health.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Why did you choose to read the letter?
2. I'd forgive the poor grammar, but honestly it's a piece of generic garbage. The only semi-worthwhile thing it tells me about you is that they liked you enough as an intern to hire you.

That aside, I think you have fairly strong stats. If you have better letters and a decent statement of purpose, you don't need to worry.

Thanks for your response. I read it because she asked me to edit it...after she had already submitted it. Too late now!

With those stats, one mediocre LOR is not going to hurt your chances at all. In years past UT was pretty generous with their finaid and I would be shocked if you didn't get some sort of scholarship or tuition reduction.