Evaluate Me!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PingPong2006

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Year: M3
Step1: 251,
Class rank ~top25%,
School: smaller, low-ranked allopathic,
Home Rad-Onc program: Small faculty with no residency program,
Research: One publication
Problem: Significant other in NYC - I need to be there or nearby. I am considering a split application with Diagnostic Rads for this reason.

Is this an awful idea? It is clear that my chances with just Rad-Onc in NYC are too risky alone. I appreciate whatever advice you can offer!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on your Step 1 score, that will help a lot.

Keep going with the research and good grades at school. It will be most helpful to have a first author publication, if that's not what you have.

I would do 3 externships (don't rotate RadOnc at your home program) at programs in NYC that you think you have a shot at. These will be critical to your success. I wouldn't be hesitant to let your situation known, directors are often sympathetic to such problems. Get some good letters out of these.

I would think about expanding the geographic area to which you apply. Philly has almost a handful of programs and is just 2 hours away, you could still see your girl on weekends.

Why Radiology?

you have no chance noob! you should have sought excellence like that stud from your school that matched this year. by the way, he is so much better than you in ping pong - particularly his serve.

You can do it.

Just work really hard on the things you still have control over. So, most of your grades and your institutional name are already set in stone, but don't underestimate community service, good letters and a rocking personal statement. Your board scores are right on track.

(I just spent a few years making sure that I could get into a program which would allow my husband to keep his job...)