etiquette on withdrawing post-acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emergencyblimp

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been very fortunate to receive an acceptance to my top-choice MSTP, and am planning on withdrawing my other acceptances. I was just curious what is the proper etiquette to go about this? If they have the option on the portal, is it enough to just hit the withdraw button? Or should I email the program directors individually? (I'm leaning towards this just because MD/PhD interviews are more involved, so I feel like I should have more formal / personal correspondence when withdrawing?) If I email them, do I need to say anything else besides "I've chosen to go somewhere else & thus will be declining my spot, thank you for your time / considering my app"?

Also, I mentioned that I planned on attending their revisit weekend when I responded to their initial acceptance email; is it rude to cancel on that? I don't mind taking the time to go to revisit, but I feel like it is unlikely to change my mind, and maybe it is more rude to take up a spot / deprive someone getting in off the waitlist of their chance to go?

Lastly, there are some places I have interviewed, but have not heard a decision yet. Should I just go ahead and withdraw from these places now, or just decline my acceptance/waitlist position after I get a final answer? A part of me feels like I should wait to hear back from all interviews before making my ultimate decision, but another part of me is kinda antsy to finalize things with my #1, start getting my immunizations sorted out, etc...

I created an account just for this... am i seriously overthinking everything? I feel like this process has just made me so neurotic about everything, I just want to make sure to do everything as politely/professionally as possible. Thanks y'all for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats and welcome to the profession. Just email the program director individually. We all understand that each candidate has priorities about a special program for them. Be courteous and appreciative of the interview experience, but say that you found another program that fits better your needs. Thanks...

You've been accepted to your top-choice MSTP - Congratulations! Can you imagine anything realistically changing your mind about which program you want to attend?

If not, email the program directors individually thanking them for their time and consideration and informing them that while you really liked their program, you have decided to attend XYZ program instead (it's a small world).

Don't go to the second looks for the schools you're rejecting (mention that in your email) and save those spots for the students who will/might still go.

Go ahead and also notify the schools you haven't heard from yet. You'll be making someone else's day.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i finally made my decision as well. i replied to the email with the offer of acceptance and thanked the admissions committee for the offer. acknowledged that the school is a great institution but said that after careful deliberation, i've decided on a different institution/program that is the best fit for me. thanked them again for the opportunity. signed off. if the school wanted to know where i am matriculating instead, i replied to the query. if not, that was the end of the conversation.

Reactions: 1 users
@Fencer - Could you please clarify the post-acceptance withdrawal procedure? Do I have to go through "withdraw my application" from the application portal in addition to writing an email to the Program director?

Thank you!

@Fencer - Could you please clarify the post-acceptance withdrawal procedure? Do I have to go through "withdraw my application" from the application portal in addition to writing an email to the Program director?

Thank you!
I'm just a Fencer wannabe, but I would encourage you to do both. MD admissions is high-volume and transactional, while MD-PhD admissions tends to be much more personal and interactive. I have been involved in MD-PhD admissions for more years than I care to admit, but I still get disappointed when an applicant just declines through the portal. I like the courtesy of an email, even if it is generic. I am pretty sure that most places will want you to update the portal for legal reasons. At least that is what legal counsel told us.

Reactions: 1 user
@Maebea - Thank you so much! Honestly, I am sad that I have to turn down some of these programs. These are great programs with amazing PDs and administrators who have been wonderful. But to be fair to the program and to the other applicants I am withdrawing from all but 2 while still waiting to hear from couple of schools. So, I am writing a personal thank you and withdrawal emails to each program director and now will follow your advice and withdraw from the portal too. Thank you again!

Reactions: 1 user