Ethos E-VET Training Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Enzo07

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! 3rd year class of 2023 here. My career path of choice right now is ER, but not a Criticalist, so I'm looking to do some sort of internship or training program after graduation to get some good experience. I'm not sure I want to go the standard Rotating Internship route so I'm looking at my other options. I am in the middle-lower third of my class so not feeling too good on my rank to get into a standard internship. I have the VEG EET in mind, VCA Mentorship, and recently came across Ethos' E-VET program (Ethos-Veterinary Emergency Training program).

Here's the link for anyone who hasn't heard of it and is curious like me: Veterinary Emergency Training Program (E-VET) - Ethos Vet Training

It seems fairly new but I was wondering if anyone has experience with this program or working for Ethos as an ER vet in general? The salary, benefits, hours all seem reasonable and like a good start out of vet school but I know these new "mentorship/training" programs are popping up like crazy and not sure how good it is.

Thanks in advance! Sorry if there are any errors, I am a frequent lurker but don't post often :)

Members don't see this ad.

What do they pay during the training period? I'm a new grad in a VCA hospital with 24/7 ER. Another new grad did the legit emergency mentorship program making a standard ER vet salary. Why do a high hour program and be paid poorly when other similar programs have better hours and pay.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do they pay during the training period? I'm a new grad in a VCA hospital with 24/7 ER. Another new grad did the legit emergency mentorship program making a standard ER vet salary. Why do a high hour program and be paid poorly when other similar programs have better hours and pay.
Pay is $100k per annum during the 9 month training period. I understand and totally agree! I recently went to a talk about VCA's mentorship program and am just nervous at the lack of structure it seemed to have. They told us you can pick any hospital you want and they'll find someone to mentor you. That was all the information they had, no set times of what we are learning when or set mentors (I don't want to get stuck with someone who doesn't want to mentor). I like the idea of a structured system to really get me trained as an ER vet before I am an ER vet, not someone who is a "trained on the job ER vet" if that makes any sense. Hours are also advertised at 40-60 depending on your assigned shifts, with 2 consecutive days off each week, and no on-call time.

Pay is $100k per annum during the 9 month training period
I must have missed that one the page; I only saw the 110k after the program is complete. Agreed, that's definitely more worthwhile
That was all the information they had, no set times of what we are learning when or set mentors
That is definitely how it works. My broski at work was mentored by our 2 full time day ERs. There was seemingly no set schedule for learning x, y, or z at such and such time. It was based on what cases came in. Granted, we have a decent ER case load (10-20/day shift). So he saw many of the common things at some point. He has moved to solo night shift with minimal growing pains. Surgery is really his weak point, mainly because of needing practice.

Likewise, now I do daytime ER since he's moved to nights. I'm basically getting the same mentorship. So very minimal actual structure.

That is definitely how it works. My broski at work was mentored by our 2 full time day ERs. There was seemingly no set schedule for learning x, y, or z at such and such time. It was based on what cases came in. Granted, we have a decent ER case load (10-20/day shift). So he saw many of the common things at some point. He has moved to solo night shift with minimal growing pains. Surgery is really his weak point, mainly because of needing practice.
I really appreciate all the information! It makes sense being ER, learning based off the cases that come in since that's most realistic. I think I'd just feel better at more structure early on, and also more surgery, it's a deal breaker for me if I apply for VIRMP that I want primary surgical responsibility on entry level procedures. The VCA ER near me does not have a surgical team on call for ER and so all ER doctors cut all the time, and I want to feel competent at that!

I really appreciate all the information! It makes sense being ER, learning based off the cases that come in since that's most realistic. I think I'd just feel better at more structure early on, and also more surgery, it's a deal breaker for me if I apply for VIRMP that I want primary surgical responsibility on entry level procedures. The VCA ER near me does not have a surgical team on call for ER and so all ER doctors cut all the time, and I want to feel competent at that!
I'll say most facilities that have a more formal training program would be less likely to have a significant surgery component, just because they tend to be with bigger hospitals that have surgeons. So you may have to give in a little in your wants for training to get that, or vice versa. :)

I'd personally strongly recommend anyone who hasn't worked as a vet - and especially not as an ER vet - not get themselves into a training program with a multi-year commitment. You don't know if you'll like this company. You don't even know if you'll like working ER! Don't sign yourself up for 2-3 years that you don't know is going to be for you. I'm GP and self trained out the ass, and I'd still personally recommend doing a no-strings-attached normal rotating (or, if you feel up to it, just getting a job like Bat!) vs. these weird hybrid things companies keep creating.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The VCA ER near me does not have a surgical team on call for ER and so all ER doctors cut all the time, and I want to feel competent at that!
Our ER staff also does all cutting too depending on the case and situation! We do have two surgical internship trained docs, one who is applying for surgical residencies; so if it is more than a FB level, they may cut sometimes if the ER doc is less inclined and to get our residency inclined doc good cases. My broski has stayed multiple mornings beyond 8am for procedure/surgical experience, and more experienced docs have come in to train him during emergency night time surgeries. Just takes time to get the cases overall.

I'd personally strongly recommend anyone who hasn't worked as a vet - and especially not as an ER vet - not get themselves into a training program with a multi-year commitment.
I strongly agree with this. I absolutely love the staff of my hospital and have gotten a lot of great mentorship from the other docs. But now that I know I strongly prefer ER to GP, I will not stay long term because I will never be full time ER in this hospital. I'm very thankful that my contract is super losey goosey so that I can move on somewhere I'll be 100% ER (whether or not it is a VCA doesn't matter to me).

I was accepted into the EET at VEG, and turned it down, not because of money, but because of other reasons. Pay is $35,000 for the first 6 months. After you complete the 6 months of training, you then choose to either make ~$800/shift, or 22% production only. If you do not make the advertised $100k, they write you a check to make up the difference by the time the year is over. If you choose to do production, you can make over the $100k. The $800 to me sounded like a safeguard in case you were worried about making rent or other financial bills.

I'll say most facilities that have a more formal training program would be less likely to have a significant surgery component, just because they tend to be with bigger hospitals that have surgeons. So you may have to give in a little in your wants for training to get that, or vice versa. :)
Ah, that makes sense. I totally understand, guess I can't have my cake and eat it too, lol!
I'd personally strongly recommend anyone who hasn't worked as a vet - and especially not as an ER vet - not get themselves into a training program with a multi-year commitment. You don't know if you'll like this company. You don't even know if you'll like working ER!
I really appreciate this outlook. I have worked ER as a technician full time this past summer, and just had my ER rotation & a GP, and I just love it. However, I recognize the large difference in loving it as a technician/student vs. as a vet. I am afraid of the commitment of not liking it as well but I had heard great things about employment at the Ethos hospital near me, though that doesn't mean it's for everyone!
I strongly agree with this.
I really appreciate your comments on it. The idea of not having to worry about the job afterwards is tempting, but would be a total buzzkill if I hated my internship and was stuck there! I am reconsidering the idea of a traditional rotating internship thanks to both of your thoughts!
I was accepted into the EET at VEG, and turned it down, not because of money, but because of other reasons. Pay is $35,000 for the first 6 months. After you complete the 6 months of training, you then choose to either make ~$800/shift, or 22% production only. If you do not make the advertised $100k, they write you a check to make up the difference by the time the year is over. If you choose to do production, you can make over the $100k. The $800 to me sounded like a safeguard in case you were worried about making rent or other financial bills.
I had no idea! They advertise more as a hiring experienced vet so I guess I thought the pay may be higher. Thanks for the info it's much appreciated! Would you mind if I PM'd you more about your experience?

Ah, that makes sense. I totally understand, guess I can't have my cake and eat it too, lol!

I really appreciate this outlook. I have worked ER as a technician full time this past summer, and just had my ER rotation & a GP, and I just love it. However, I recognize the large difference in loving it as a technician/student vs. as a vet. I am afraid of the commitment of not liking it as well but I had heard great things about employment at the Ethos hospital near me, though that doesn't mean it's for everyone!

I really appreciate your comments on it. The idea of not having to worry about the job afterwards is tempting, but would be a total buzzkill if I hated my internship and was stuck there! I am reconsidering the idea of a traditional rotating internship thanks to both of your thoughts!

I had no idea! They advertise more as a hiring experienced vet so I guess I thought the pay may be higher. Thanks for the info it's much appreciated! Would you mind if I PM'd you more about your experience?
Sure!