ethics question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

impaction

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
this thread is for the ethic questions.
plz post all the ethic questions you can think and are practical
?
i will post one , which i found confusing and had no clue about it

Q. if the patient comes to your clinoic and she had a feud/ quarrel with your staff members. what you gonna do?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
what i think is we will still have to serve the patient as it is teh only ethical thing above the dispute and we will have to apologize and KEEP THE STAFF MEMBER AWAY FOR SAFETY REASON :laugh: :p

yes u need to apologize to the patient on behalf of the staff member & assure the patient that u will talk the staff member and see to that it will not be repeated.

if the options are:-
1. will investigate by itself
2. will call the cops

if the options are:-
1. will investigate by itself
2. will call the cops
then i think it shd be (will investigate by itself )..........i dont think cops have anything to do in this matter as long as it can be settled by the doctor itself

ok another one
An authestic patient is accompanied by his mother to a dental clinc suffering from severe toothache, mother has 2 rush out without signing the consent leaving her child at the clinic .what will the dentist do now ?

a. leave the patient in pain till his mother is back , get the consent signed n then start his work
b.atleast take radiographs n send him home accompanied by his staff
c.call the patients physicians , enquire n proceed wit his treatment

Q. if the patient comes to your clinoic and she had a feud/ quarrel with your staff members. what you gonna do?
ans - call the police
bcoz its not doc duty to investigate abt the matter.

An authestic patient is accompanied by his mother to a dental clinc suffering from severe toothache, mother has 2 rush out without signing the consent leaving her child at the clinic .what will the dentist do now ?

a. leave the patient in pain till his mother is back , get the consent signed n then start his work

Ans -a. leave the patient in pain till his mother is back , get the consent signed n then start his work

correct me if m wrong

ans - call the police
bcoz its not doc duty to investigate abt the matter.

Ans -a. leave the patient in pain till his mother is back , get the consent signed n then start his work

the first thing the dentist do is, to take the consent and the staff takes the consent, not the dentist.
and if the mom leaves the patient before the consent, this means that the patient is with the staff and not with the dentist and so, the dentist will not do any treatment.

if the mom would have left, with the kid in the dental chair, the dentist would have applied sealant/ other medications and would have given next appointment to the patient

if the mom would have left, with the kid in the dental chair, the dentist would have applied sealant/ other medications and would have given next appointment to the patient

So are you saying that if the mother leaves without signing consents, the dentist can start treatment as long as the child was left in the dental chair?

the first thing the dentist do is, to take the consent and the staff takes the consent, not the dentist.[/COLOR]
and if the mom leaves the patient before the consent, this means that the patient is with the staff and not with the dentist and so, the dentist will not do any treatment.

Wrong. Without consent, you don't touch the child.

Members don't see this ad :)
So are you saying that if the mother leaves without signing consents, the dentist can start treatment as long as the child was left in the dental chair?

the twist here is, that if the patient is in dental chair, then the mother has signed the consent form because it is always before that, as i told you. staff takes the consent, not the dentist

REMEMBER YOUR OWN DENTIST: when you went to the dentist in your childhood, somebody from the staff took the consent of your mom/dad.
and after taking the consent you were allowed to be in dental chair for the treatment.

Never assume anything in situations dealing with legal issues. A dentist should never assume that just because he walks in and sees the child sitting in the chair that the consents have been signed. A patient can sit in the chair all he wants to but if no consents are signed then no treatment can be rendered.

b.atleast take radiographs n decides the treatment plan before his mom arrives.

Guys check it out I hv modified the 2 option.
n here remember , the Consent has not been signed , n the patient is still outside with the staff n not on the dental chair
so now ???

Ans- a. leave the patient in pain till his mother is back , get the consent signed n then start his work

correct me if m rong

Guys check it out I hv modified the 2 option.
n here remember , the Consent has not been signed , n the patient is still outside with the staff n not on the dental chair
so now ???

a. if the consent is not signed, he cant do the treatment.<correct>
b. taking a radiograph means exposing the child to dangereous radiations, the dentist cannot do this without the consent
c. not sure, i dont think that patients physcian can give the consent for treatment over the phone.
moreover he doesnt have the right to give consent

Q if a 10yr old girl comes with her mom with a carious permanent molar,
after taking radiograpaphs, dentist found deep caries involving the pulp.
he decides to do RCT for the tooth and planned 3 sittings for the treatment. with the consent of her mom , he did 1st stiiting on that day.
Next time patient comes with his 17yr old elder brother, what the dentist gonna do?
1. will proceed with the treatment
2. will send her back
3. will take the consent from her elder brother and do the treatment

Q if a 10yr old girl comes with her mom with a carious permanent molar,
after taking radiograpaphs, dentist found deep caries involving the pulp.
he decides to do RCT for the tooth and planned 3 sittings for the treatment. with the consent of her mom , he did 1st stiiting on that day.
Next time patient comes with his 17yr old elder brother, what the dentist gonna do?
1. will proceed with the treatment
2. will send her back
3. will take the consent from her elder brother and do the treatment

ans - will proceed with the treatment
bcoz consent is taken only once for a particular treatment

correct me if m rong

so now ???

A patient who has not given consent cannot be treated. A patient who has given consent can be. In this case the mother is the one who provides consent for the autistic child. Don't assume that because the patient isn't sitting in the dental chair that no consents have been signed and don't assume that because the patient is sitting in the chair that consents were given. I can be sitting on the toilet and be signing the consent form for all it matters. Location is irrelevant and when you sign the consent form is up to the dental practice (provided you sign before you treat).

A patient who has not given consent cannot be treated. A patient who has given consent can be. In this case the mother is the one who provides consent for the autistic child. Don't assume that because the patient isn't sitting in the dental chair that no consents have been signed and don't assume that because the patient is sitting in the chair that consents were given. I can be sitting on the toilet and be signing the consent form for all it matters. Location is irrelevant and when you sign the consent form is up to the dental practice (provided you sign before you treat).

tinnman , my point is that the patient is only allowed<may be i could use better word for it> to go in the treatment room after signing the consent.

if patients mom havent signed the consent, how can he go into the treatment room.
and even if he is a spoilt child and goes there without anybody`s permission<another poor word>, the dentist will look into his file, for the consent.......

so here the trick is,

that under IDEAL conditions, the child can ONLY go to the treatment room for treatment, after his parent has signed the consent form

An authestic patient is accompanied by his mother to a dental clinc suffering from severe toothache, mother has signed the consent but the patient is against it. The dentist should respect the patient decision. This property is called?????

veracity
justice
autonomy
benefience
nonmaleficence

No actually we have to take the patient into a room first for the sake of privacy and then fil the forms otherwise there is violation of OSHA laws. So we take the patient into the room and about the patient it depends on the age and mental status if he is incapable we hve to give emergency treatment liek relieve pain but nothing more. Only emergency treatment is to be provided. again under OSHA

If the patient is a minor, the question is academic. Parents have to give consent for underage dependents to receive treatment.

Well I'm sure you know the answer already. I'm addressing the folks who don't have their hands raised. ;)

So what do you do if your autistic patient is now an adult and doesn't want to consent to treatment that's needed. But the mother consents. What do you do?

Well I'm sure you know the answer already. I'm addressing the folks who don't have their hands raised. ;)

So what do you do if your autistic patient is now an adult and doesn't want to consent to treatment that's needed. But the mother consents. What do you do?

ithink it should be decided ifinaln the best interest of the patient.
the autistic patient will not have judgement to decide whats good for her, so her mom`s consent should be

ithink it should be decided ifinaln the best interest of the patient.
the autistic patient will not have judgement to decide whats good for her, so her mom`s consent should be
Almost. The next thing is to find out whether the adult patient is legally competent to give informed consent. If they are, and they refuse treatment, it doesn't matter what mom says. If they are not, and mom is a legal guardian, then you may provide treatment with her consent even if the patient objects.

84 yr old woman living in a complains of pain in tooth # 30 . Bilateral muscular pain on closing the mouth. She also had a past history of tibia and ulnar fracture.

Social history : Smoker, Lives in an assisted home
Dentist notices scar marks on the patient ‘s arms and suspects physical abuse, dentist should :
1) Confront the people from assisted home
2) Instigate a private investigation
3) Call the local police station to obtain more information about physical abuse at this assisted home

84 yr old woman living in a complains of pain in tooth # 30 . Bilateral muscular pain on closing the mouth. She also had a past history of tibia and ulnar fracture.

Dentist notices scar marks on the patient ‘s arms and suspects physical abuse, dentist should :
3) Call the local police station to obtain more information about physical abuse at this assisted home
4) Rule out (interview patient, consult PCP, review past records) legitimate explanations for these finding before accusing the assisted-living staff of criminal assault.

Dentist notices scar marks on the patient &#8216;s arms and suspects physical abuse, dentist should :

:thumbup:

14 yr old boy comes to the clinic with his mom for the follow up treatment that he is previously undergoing. he has swollen eyes, and is wearing loose and untidy.clothes
the dentist sees the marks on his neck.
the mom explains that he had fight with his twin brother couple of days ago.

Q what will the dentist do.?
he will start the treatment
he will call the police and report the case of child abuse
he will start his own investigation

14 yr old boy comes to the clinic with his mom for the follow up treatment that he is previously undergoing. he has swollen eyes, and is wearing loose and untidy.clothes
the dentist sees the marks on his neck.
the mom explains that he had fight with his twin brother couple of days ago.

Q what will the dentist do.?
he will start the treatment
he will call the police and report the case of child abuse
he will start his own investigation

bcoz the signs suggest child abuse.

which one is the most common cause of deaths in child abuse noted in the US ?
a. severe physical abuse
b.placing the pillow on the face of the child
c.locking him in the restroom without food

n which one is the most common form of child abuse ? [ same options as above]

Last edited:
severe physical abuse.
And in that the answer is head injury.

which one is the most common cause of deaths in child abuse noted in the US ?
a. severe physical abuse

n which one is the most common form of child abuse ?
a. severe physical abuse

No actually we have to take the patient into a room first for the sake of privacy and then fil the forms otherwise there is violation of OSHA laws. So we take the patient into the room and about the patient it depends on the age and mental status if he is incapable we hve to give emergency treatment liek relieve pain but nothing more. Only emergency treatment is to be provided. again under OSHA

hi
can you please elaborate how patient privacy comes under OSHA laws?i believe it is covered by HIPPA.

Q. if the patient comes to your clinoic and she had a feud/ quarrel with your staff members. what you gonna do
investigate by himself
call the police
Please confirm the answer

one more..
Patient has loss of taste, upper n lower lip laceration . Pts friend suggests its because of his previous amalgum restoration ? what will the dentist do?
Reject the case
send it to the stomatologist
take the radiograph n see
Remove the restoration n go for composite

ooops ya my bad its HIPPA. OSHA deals with safety and all....

and come to think about it.
1. We cannot take consent until we make a t/t plan and for t/t plan we need to examine the person.
2. to examine the person he or she needs to be on the dental chair in the room.

so patient would first come to the room and would be examined and then explained about the procedure to be done. If he or she agrees they would give consent otherwise no.

So i dont think we should confuse whether to bring the patient in or out. Consent if given for a particular treatment and as long as the same treatment continues we dont need concent again so even if the minor comes all by himself or herself we CONTINUE the treatment. We cannot tell the assistants to go and take the consent of people without them knowing what is being done to them. coz consent forms have a column about treatment plan.

i hope this clarifies