Ethical decision making

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychma

Reaction score
I live in a small community and my practice has a major focus on autism. I was recently contacted by someone in the community that I know about therapy services partly about her adult son with autism. She has tried to find services in the past, but couldn’t find anyone with the specific knowledge on autism.

This person was my mortgage lender 20 years ago. I met with her twice to sign paperwork, which I barely remember. We were at a coffee together in the community 8 years ago and sat next to each other but didn’t really talk much.

We’re not friends. Our community is small. When she contacted me, I brought up the fact that we had known each other in this other capacity. She said “it was professional then and it’s professional now.”

Would I be violating my ethics to agree to meet with her?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't think it would be violating professional ethics to meet with her. In fact, there is literature, and even a book or two, specifically on practicing psychology in small towns and communities where often these kind of relationships can't be avoided. It also sounds like the son would be the identified patient, would need to consent and agree to be seen. It would be reasonable to say there is a limitation of available qualified psychologists in the area as well.

Unless you're friends with her, she's offering you some type of mortgage discount or is still actively involved in your mortgage I'd say it's fine if you are comfortable with it.I think the decision would be more complex if the woman was coming to you personally for therapy for herself.

I'm sure others will chime in.

Reactions: 2 users
This sounds like a complete non-issue to me. I mean, worth clarifying with people to gauge everyone's comfort with the situation, but personally I see zero problems here.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)