Establishing Residence for Tuition Purposes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PT Hopeful2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many of you have successfully attended an out-of-state public school and established residency in that state in order to pay the in-state tuition? From the little bit of research that I've done on the topic, it seems like a pretty difficult thing to do, especially when they know you are a student. Just looking to see if it has successfully been done.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the school. Some schools offer tuition waivers for all of their out of state students. For others, you have to live in the state for at least 1 year and establish residency. Even then, though, you have to provide proof that you intend on staying and working in that state after you graduate, which can be very difficult. I have out of state classmates who are married, have bought homes here, have family in the state, and are still being denied in state tuition.

I have. Like mentioned above, I would look into schools that have tuition waivers. I live in Texas and most schools here will give you in state tuition if you get any scholarship offered by the school of $1,000 or more

Members don't see this ad :)
I currently live in Wisconsin, but moved here from out of state exactly one year before starting school. They accepted me as an in state resident, but I had to show proof of working full time for a year, new license, voter registration, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
I currently live in Wisconsin, but moved here from out of state exactly one year before starting school. They accepted me as an in state resident, but I had to show proof of working full time for a year, new license, voter registration, etc.

What if I were to move to Wisconsin just before starting school? Could I pay out-of-state tuition for the first year, and then in-state tuition for the next two years?

What if I were to move to Wisconsin just before starting school? Could I pay out-of-state tuition for the first year, and then in-state tuition for the next two years?

I don't believe they will let you do that. State law in WI requires you to work full time and reside in the state exactly one year prior to enrollment. However, tuition laws differ from state to state. So, maybe there is a state that would allow you to do that but I doubt it. If you could get in state tuition after one year of classes everyone would be doing it...

How many of you have successfully attended an out-of-state public school and established residency in that state in order to pay the in-state tuition? From the little bit of research that I've done on the topic, it seems like a pretty difficult thing to do, especially when they know you are a student. Just looking to see if it has successfully been done.

Certain schools/states allow it, others don't.

Off the top of my head, I know you can get in state tuition in Colorado (CU Denver) and Utah (University of Utah). These schools expect their DPT students to be in state after the first year of school. NAU in AZ has offered tuition waivers in the past to at least some out of state students (not sure about establishing residency in AZ).

Ask programs you're interested in. They will be able to tell you if it's doable after first year or not.

I did this in North Carolina. I moved there in June, started school in August, paid out-of-state tuition for the first year (got a waiver for one semester), then was approved for in-state status for the rest of school, but it depends completely on the state. You're going to have to research what your state and university's policies are to get the answer to your question. For instance, in Montana, you have to live in the state for one year and take no more than 6 credits every semester during that year before they'll even consider you for in-state status. In a DPT program, you could never pull that off unless you moved a year in advance. In North Carolina, I had to have one year's physical presence in the state as a minimum requirement, but then they had a long list of questions they considered that made it more or less likely I would be approved. They weren't trying to figure out if I would stay in NC after graduation (lots of students, resident and not, get out-of-state jobs after graduation) so much as they were trying to consider the "whole picture" to figure out if my "real" residence was somewhere else. These are some of the questions I remember from the application:

In what state is your car registered?
In what state are you licensed to drive?
Do you own a house? If so, in what state?
In what state is the bank where you hold your bank account?
Do you have any personal possessions residing in another state? If so, what % of your personal possessions are there?
In what state did you file your most recent tax return?
In what state are you registered to vote?
In the past year, have you left the state? If so, where did you go, why, and for how long?
Where does your spouse/significant other reside?

You get the idea. A student who packed up their essentials in their car but left the majority of their stuff in their parents' basement, never registered their car in the new state, never changed their driver's license, and goes to their home state during summer breaks to work is pretty obviously not a true resident because they've maintained all their ties to their old state and haven't formed any permanent ties to the new state. For a non-traditional student, if you own a house in another state and your spouse/kids all still live there while you rent a rinky-dink apartment in the new state, again, it's pretty obvious you aren't a true resident. If you were, your wife and kids would have come with you. A person who's planning a truly permanent move (even if school is what caused it) gets all these things changed over. Hence the reason they include all those questions on the application. If your state is at all similar, getting all the above things done will help your case, but the first step is to research your state. Good luck!