Established DO school (KCU-COM) vs. Brand new MD campus (Ponce STL)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The assistant professor for anatomy and MEDICAL ETHICS (LMAO) at PHSU Saint Louis was also indicted for making false statements in a Medicaid fraud case involving a podiatry practice of hers. (Yes, she is also a podiatrist)

You are dodging a gigantic bullet by going somewhere else.
This is not true! Wrong person!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This is a more complex question than most would admit.

1) Comparing general match rates is somewhat of an effort in futility when you’re talking about a school at the top of the DO world and a school at the bottom of the MD world. It would make sense if both were great schools in their own sphere, but they are not. Ponce STL will inevitably match significantly worse than the average MD school and KCU will (and does) match significantly better than the average DO school.

2) Regional attachment is no joke when you’re going through medical school. Social circles matter. Your comfort matters. Throwing away your comfort to choose one possibly better school over another excellent option is, frankly, dumb as f***. If you feel an extreme attachment to the area around KCU and want to continue to be there, I would recommend that you stay there. This is especially true of your residency selection - residencies in the home state or close proximity to a DO school tend to have a significantly lower bias of MD vs DO than those that aren’t, and you would be liable to see a disproportionately higher number of KS residency interviews when you apply. DOs tend to do a fair amount worse than MDs when it comes to interstate, which is part of the reason why match rates are disproportionate.

I’m not telling you to choose the DO school. Far from it. However, I am urging you to think more deeply about it than chalking this one up to MD vs. DO.

Perhaps I am biased because I went to TCOM which has excellent prospects within our state, in part because of our SMP program that feeds most of the Texas MD schools, but I do stand by that you should do some deep thinking about what matters to you.

If all else were equal, yes, the MD school wins. But it’s not. And as much as people whine about there not being a DO “tier list”, there are absolutely schools that are viewed with parity, especially in their home state.

Reactions: 3 users
This is not true! Wrong person!
So...same name, DPM, went to the same school. It's that much of a coincidence?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For future readers: One thing you'll realize is that the medical school goes to only matters up to 10-20%, albeit 20% may be a bit high of your whole package. It is really who you are and how hard you work and your passion that determines where you match.

PHSU/Ponce STL is a US MD program, so they have the rigorous accreditation from LCME, and I personally know a few illustrious MD candidates from PHSU in PR.

At the end of the day, it may not be as well known, but it will be soon, as the MD still attracts a lot of top quality applicants (and so does DO), but I have confidence that it is a hidden gem and will succeed.

I would have chosen the MD (PHSU) over the DO school. Instate residency isn't hard to get, to lower the price down to 42k. And lots of research opportunities in the STL metro area. Not having to take 2 sets of board exams and potentially scoring terribly on one because you have the other set coming up is very real, and something that many don't realize until they're in the program. Don't use SDN as your only source of info.

(I'm a med student).

Reactions: 1 users
One thing you'll realize is that the medical school goes to only matters up to 10-20%, albeit 20% may be a bit high of your whole package.
This just isn’t true. The worst student in the class at HMS can match IM at Beth Israel (BIDMC). For a low tier MD to match there, they probably need AOA + research pubs + 250+ step score. BIDMC probably doesn’t even interview DOs

Don't use SDN as your only source of info.

(I'm a med student).
'Don't use SDN as your only source of info' seems to be the most commonly given piece of advice on this website, and the people most commonly giving that advice are other med students 🤷‍♂️

The assistant professor for anatomy and MEDICAL ETHICS (LMAO) at PHSU Saint Louis was also indicted for making false statements in a Medicaid fraud case involving a podiatry practice of hers. (Yes, she is also a podiatrist)

You are dodging a gigantic bullet by going somewhere else.
Wow, what was the name of this podiatrist