Essentials to Bring to SGU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nimr0d

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting in August, any items you guys would recommend to bring with me?

I've seen bug zappers and laptop stand so far, what else? Anything specific to bring for the Caribbean setting?

Members don't see this ad.

Power bank/ back-up charger, flashlight, sunscreen, cash (ATM fees add up), thermal mug, Brita-filter, a radio (you can keep up on local news and if there is a power outage you can be informed), some Tupperware containers. Bring hard copies of essential books, so that you can study even if the power goes out or something happens to your laptop. Don't forget some warm clothes, as classrooms are often very chilly.

Reactions: 1 user
Forgive the colloquialism, but bring plenty of piss and vinegar. Only thing that got me through was anger and defiance at the system and a refusal to fail. Probably not the healthiest, but it's what worked for me. As Nietzsche said, those with a 'why' to live can bear almost any 'how.'

Also a cardigan or jumper. Lecture halls are chilly, and being on the island seriously dysregulates your concept of "comfortable climate." Focus on living simply while you're there. Being high-maintenance will not serve you well, and all of the essentials you need will be available when you're down there.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Brita-filter, if you cook - utensils, plates, pots, and pans, large umbrella, gym clothes, hoodie, tea and electric tea pot - I ended up drinking a lot tea, coffee and nuts (both are expensive at the supermarket), medications (Tylenol, n-said, anti-diarrhea, tums, anti-fungal cream, antibiotic if you have an extra one laying around), grooming supplies (scissor, trimmer, razor, nail clipper or scissor).

Reactions: 1 users
Make sure to bring a plan with you for what you're going to do if you end up being one of the 40% of SGU students who get tossed off the island with no chance of ever becoming a physician. Also pack your sunscreen.
Tell him how you really feel.
Jokes aside, actually bring sunscreen lmao

Bring a gunner attitude, a chip on your shoulder, your heartbeat and a paycheck. Good luck, hope you make it.

Reactions: 1 user
I think this guy sums up what you need. Of course, I think coming from someone who did not attend SGU however, he does.

Reactions: 2 users
Adderall, antidepressants... lol other than those two, i'd say just don't overpack, you can get a lot on the island... people bring barrels of stuff, it's insane. Learn to love the IGA store brands, european and south american/trinidad brands and you'll save a lot of $$. Also, a bug zapper? Only if you live on campus I guess... you would be the first to bring that if you live on campus lol. Bring a good sweatshirt, socks, sweatpants, it gets cold in the dorms and classrooms/study halls. Good headphones/earbuds, a good water filter (I use a lifestraw water bottle, life saver really, didn't want to mess will brita pitchers and stuff), mosquito spray, medicines you may need, a good pillow, mattress topper if you are living in the dorm, command hooks....

Reactions: 1 users
I went snorkeling on Grand Anse beach most Saturdays as my weekly study break. Was usually back in the library by 1 pm and studied till dinner. Sunday was a bit more relaxed. Earplugs for studying as the campus is overloaded and space is limited. Nice thick hoodie. Ability to adapt to any circumstances will serve you well on the island, on clinicals and in residency. You can pick up any cooking supplies in town. The majority of your suitcases will be clothes.

I went snorkeling on Grand Anse beach most Saturdays as my weekly study break. Was usually back in the library by 1 pm and studied till dinner. Sunday was a bit more relaxed. Earplugs for studying as the campus is overloaded and space is limited. Nice thick hoodie. Ability to adapt to any circumstances will serve you well on the island, on clinicals and in residency. You can pick up any cooking supplies in town. The majority of your suitcases will be clothes.

What do you mean "adapt to any circumstances"?

What do you mean "adapt to any circumstances"?

I mean just that. Be ready for anything and develop the fortitude to make things work no matter what. Power goes out the night before a big exam and you sweat all night in your concrete dorm room. Water goes out. Grocery store doesn't have what you want for weeks on end. Facilities are overcrowded. Professors can be difficult to understand at times. The food is different that what you're accustomed to. You are 2-3 airplane flights away from what you consider to be 'normal.'

Sone people adapt and thrive, some people can't hack it. The school and island do their best to accommodate the students but you have to meet them half way.

Don't waste your time with bug zappers. Bring clothes, laptop and medications you may need. The less you have to keep track of on the flight down the better. Focus your energy on adapting to Grenada, not making Grenada adapt to you.

Reactions: 5 users
I mean just that. Be ready for anything and develop the fortitude to make things work no matter what. Power goes out the night before a big exam and you sweat all night in your concrete dorm room. Water goes out. Grocery store doesn't have what you want for weeks on end. Facilities are overcrowded. Professors can be difficult to understand at times. The food is different that what you're accustomed to. You are 2-3 airplane flights away from what you consider to be 'normal.'

Ahhh, nostalgia. Damn near brought a tear to my eye.

Sone people adapt and thrive, some people can't hack it. The school and island do their best to accommodate the students but you have to meet them half way.

Don't waste your time with bug zappers. Bring clothes, laptop and medications you may need. The less you have to keep track of on the flight down the better. Focus your energy on adapting to Grenada, not making Grenada adapt to you.
Spot on, exactly spot on advice my friend.

I'm starting in August, any items you guys would recommend to bring with me?

I've seen bug zappers and laptop stand so far, what else? Anything specific to bring for the Caribbean setting?

Sign up for a Charles Schwab bank account!! They refund all ATM fees and any foreign transaction fees! That way you can use the ATM on campus without having to cry over all the ATM and bank fees (those definitely add up).

Adderall, antidepressants... lol other than those two, i'd say just don't overpack, you can get a lot on the island... people bring barrels of stuff, it's insane. Learn to love the IGA store brands, european and south american/trinidad brands and you'll save a lot of $$. Also, a bug zapper? Only if you live on campus I guess... you would be the first to bring that if you live on campus lol. Bring a good sweatshirt, socks, sweatpants, it gets cold in the dorms and classrooms/study halls. Good headphones/earbuds, a good water filter (I use a lifestraw water bottle, life saver really, didn't want to mess will brita pitchers and stuff), mosquito spray, medicines you may need, a good pillow, mattress topper if you are living in the dorm, command hooks....

SWEATERS LMAOOO as someone that is perpetually cold I was always wearing a sweater and fuzzy socks in the lecture hall and the study halls! Keep in mind that because it's fairly humid all the time - the AC is cranked up (most students love this) but come prepared if your always cold like me with a sweater or sweatshirt.