error

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted977029

I wend to Community College for free on scholarship my first 2 years of school. Drove roughly 35 min to school and back everyday, worked 3 jobs (to pay for my car and books) volunteered 125+ hours at my local ER, did 100+ hours of research, and was in 2 clubs (one being a national honor society). I recieved a 3.54 cGPA for 2 majors (Biology and Biotechnology) and 3.6 sGPA.

Went to the "local" University the next 2 years (University of Delaware). This time the school was much bigger, classes were much more time consuming, and I had no clue how their class registration system worked. I had little help figuring things out, but finally did a couple of months before graduation. I commuted 45 min to and fro school everyday, worked one job as a server, shadowed over a dozen doctors for a total of 75+ hours, volunteered in a non-hospital setting (my community) for 50+ hours, and was in 4 clubs including Phi Delta Epsilon. I did decent my first year there (like 3.55 cGPA and 3.72 sGPA territory), but I wasn't allowed to apply through my school committee since I didn't have a LOR from a doc or enough shadowing hours at the time.

**** happened in my family that was out of my control, my grades started to slipped during the situation, I tried to overcompensate becoming an EMT in training, resulting in me spreading myself thin and burning out my senior year. Last week I graduated my 2 years in Uni with a 3.0 cGPA and a 3.1sGPA for only 1 degree (Biology BA). I did poorly in my arts electives especially. I feel like rubbish ending so low. The only silver lining is that a majority of my science classes were done at my CC and overall I have mostly A's and some B's for my Med school required prerequisites. I rushed my MCAT during final exams last month so I don't know what my score is yet. If it's anything like my Princeton Review practice exam then it's probably a 500-504 range.

I plan on applying mostly DO but do I even have a shot at MD schools? I only want to get into USUHS or get the HPSP scholarship with a DO school so that my family won't have to pay for my education and I won't have to worry about finances. I plan on finishing my application this week. My friend said I should mention that I am and African American (Zimbabwean immigrant turned US citizen) applicant and no one in my family is a doctor. I pursued this path to be a role model for the kids in my family seeing that I'm the only kid my age who came close to completing college. My family is proud of me for coming this far, but I feel like I let them all down.

Overall, what schools should I aim for, and what should the next realistic step be? Thank you for your time and consideration.

Members don't see this ad.