USMLE ERP prolongation in class IC antiarrhythmics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

p53apoptosis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain why IC increases the ERP in the AV node and accessory bypass tracts, but not in the purkinje and ventricular tissue (pg 315 in FA)?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
IC have the slowest rate of dissociation among the class I AA. If i understand correctly, the slow rate of dissociation means IC AA preferentially affect myocardium with slow conduction velocities eg the AV node and bypass tracts. In the same way, IB AA have the fastest rate of dissociation so they preferentially block rapidly depolarizing tissue eg ventricles, which is why lidocaine and mexilitine are so useful for v-fib where the foci originate from the ventricles. Hope this makes sense

i dont think so, slow dissociation dissociation of drug has nothing to do with slow conduction and more over class 1 drugs are involved in blocking of fast sodium channels which are not seen in case of Av node

Can someone explain why IC increases the ERP in the AV node and accessory bypass tracts, but not in the purkinje and ventricular tissue (pg 315 in FA)?
apparently they also have some action on Ca2+ channels:

upload_2018-2-7_11-0-1.png

source: CV Pharmacology | Sodium-Channel Blockers (Class I Antiarrhythmics)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Could someone explain why Class Ic is proarrhythmogenic particularly in damaged cardiac tissue? That part still doesn't make sense to me
Ischemic cells are partially depolarized , and 1c will block fast na channels which will cause the partially depolarized cells to fire and cause arrhythmia ,