ERAS without PS???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

future_MD_doc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can I submit my eras without personal statement? The problem is that I am taking step 2 in second week of september and I really don't want to spend time writing (or editing my old one) while studying for step 2. Or should I wait and send in my complete application by like september 21-22? Please help. I am getting nervous and stressed. I really don't need this stress while studying my last 20 days or so that are left before I take step 2?

Please reply....anyone experience this before....I know other people have asked the similar question before...but this one is about ERAS without PS??

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Can I submit my eras without personal statement? The problem is that I am taking step 2 in second week of september and I really don't want to spend time writing (or editing my old one) while studying for step 2. Or should I wait and send in my complete application by like september 21-22? Please help. I am getting nervous and stressed. I really don't need this stress while studying my last 20 days or so that are left before I take step 2?

Please reply....anyone experience this before....I know other people have asked the similar question before...but this one is about ERAS without PS??

Thanks

Yes. All you need is the CAF. Everything else can come later. It's good to submit early but realitically, most programs have application deadlines in December or even january so waiting until the end of September is not exactly the kiss of death. Submit your CAF, select the programs you want to attend, and don't worry about it.

Thanks

If I were you I would take my time on the personal statement. It is true that the personal statement plays little to no role at the beginning of the application period. The PS will NOT get you any interviews. Step 1 scores and Grades get you the interviews.

However, once the committee gets together in February the two things that will rise to the top are the interview and your PS. They will scrutinize your interview and PS to rank you. Everyone knows that the PS is the only thing on your application that you control completely. It is your ONLY voice in the ROL meeting. It is like the closing argument in front of the jury before they go and deliberate. Don't blow this off.

If I were you I would take my time on the personal statement. It is true that the personal statement plays little to no role at the beginning of the application period. The PS will NOT get you any interviews. Step 1 scores and Grades get you the interviews.

However, once the committee gets together in February the two things that will rise to the top are the interview and your PS. They will scrutinize your interview and PS to rank you. Everyone knows that the PS is the only thing on your application that you control completely. It is your ONLY voice in the ROL meeting. It is like the closing argument in front of the jury before they go and deliberate. Don't blow this off.

How do grades get in the mix if most schools don't even encourage submitting your grades transcript until you have a few of your senior course grades in yet? The only cutoff I can see is USMLE Step 1 (because everyone should have taken it by now).

I thought the personal statement had to be in/ would be locked once you certify your app and start applying to programs?

How do grades get in the mix if most schools don't even encourage submitting your grades transcript until you have a few of your senior course grades in yet? The only cutoff I can see is USMLE Step 1 (because everyone should have taken it by now).

Junior AOA = Grades

Most places give interviews with a certain Step 1 score or AOA. I know an intern at my school that got Junior AOA but only a 228 on Step 1. She still got many interviews even though her Step 1 score was not impressive.

Hie p53, i beg to differ. I think 228 is very impressive considering that the mean for recent takers hovers around 215- 220. 228 is definitely impressive and will get you into the door for many programs.Correct me if i am wrong.

So do we have a consensus as to wether or not the PS can be sumbitted later after certification? Also, would it be detrimental to do so? I would like to submit my CAF tommorrow, and hopefully get the PS in by this Monday?

So do we have a consensus as to wether or not the PS can be sumbitted later after certification? Also, would it be detrimental to do so? I would like to submit my CAF tommorrow, and hopefully get the PS in by this Monday?

I suggest taking time on PS and send it all in together. I dont advice submitting something that is incomplete. Some programs will not even look at you application until everything required is already there.

To follow up on the OPs question:

what if my entire application is complete, including PS, step 1 and step 2, but none of my LORs are in yet?

Can I submit?? Do programs ever start granting interviews based usmle scores PS and CAF but no letters?

Well, I'm no expert on the topic, but I can't imagine having the personal statement in at this point making a big difference in whether or not an interview is granted. I'm sure the PD's aren't going to read the PSs of everyone applying at this point in the season to figure out who to interview. I mean, think about a program that receives 700+ applications, but interviews only 100 for 20 positions. Sure, if you get an interview the PS better be there before the interview. Also, the programs are going to have to download everything again after November 1 when MSPEs go in.

Anyway, I'm submitting my app tomorrow, but don't have my PS ready yet. I'm going to spend a few more weeks on it while I don't have to worry about putting stuff in ERAS and then upload it.

Hie p53, i beg to differ. I think 228 is very impressive considering that the mean for recent takers hovers around 215- 220. 228 is definitely impressive and will get you into the door for many programs.Correct me if i am wrong.

You are wrong. A 228 is not VERY impressive. It is certainly solid, but I think most people would consider VERY impressive to be 245-250+, impressive would be ~230-245, good ~220-230. Obviously this is specialty dependent. A 228 may be viewed as much more impressive in psych or family med, but would be below average for applicants in something like derm, ent, or ortho.

Hate to redirect the conversation from board scores....but, if you submit your app without your ps, how do you resubmit the application again?

Can anyone answer the above question about sending your PS after the app is first submitted? I kind of have a mental block against getting the PS done right now, but I think if I could get the CAF and everything else in it would help me get past the anxiety I am feeling seeing everyone else already done!:oops:

Any help is definitely appreciated-thanks!:D

Can anyone answer the above question about sending your PS after the app is first submitted? I kind of have a mental block against getting the PS done right now, but I think if I could get the CAF and everything else in it would help me get past the anxiety I am feeling seeing everyone else already done!:oops:

Any help is definitely appreciated-thanks!:D

Yes, you can send app without PS. All you have to have to submit is the CAF. You can add PS and LORs and picture and transcript later. Like others said, the catch is that some programs may not even look at an incomplete app. They may wait until everything is in. But some programs also don't really look at any apps until after Dean's letter is out (Nov. 1 for everybody) so in this case you wouldn't be at a disadvantage. And other programs only care about that Step 1 and will grant interviews based on that (without PS, etc). The problem is, we don't really know which programs are which.

Once you've submitted your CAF and want to make a change to profile, add document (PS) etc - the ERAS program automatically updates and sends out the new document to the mailboxes of the programs. You should just be able enter it the same way you would if you didn't already send the CAF.

Thanks

I was told that you HAVE to assign a PS in order to certify your CAF. Technically, you can always add a new one later and reassign this one to your programs. But, your programs will know that you did this.

**Also, I agree with everyone else. Just do your personal statement NOW and certify your application. Many of us have worked on our applications simultaneously with studying for Step 2 or slaving away on a Sub-I or in the MICU. These are just the facts of life. PLUS --> 20 days is way more than enough time to study for step 2!

I was told that you HAVE to assign a PS in order to certify your CAF. Technically, you can always add a new one later and reassign this one to your programs. But, your programs will know that you did this.

**Also, I agree with everyone else. Just do your personal statement NOW and certify your application. Many of us have worked on our applications simultaneously with studying for Step 2 or slaving away on a Sub-I or in the MICU. These are just the facts of life. PLUS --> 20 days is way more than enough time to study for step 2!

You were told wrong. I know for a fact b/c I certified and submitted my application 2 weeks ago and hadn't even started writing my PS let alone attach it to my application. And I know schools got my app. b/c I have gotten some interview invites. Again, all you need in order to certify/submit to programs is a complete CAF.

Thank you to everyone for your help and advice! :)

For those who seem to think it is so simple to get this done and "people do it during sub-is/step 2" blah blah blah--please try to refrain from being so snooty and judging people's situations, especially since we are all going into medicine. Clearly not everyone can be as perfect as you. :rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks again for the positive encouragement--I'm happy to say I am submitting my CAF tomorrow and my PS soon after that (I hope)! :thumbup:

Good luck to everyone! :luck: