ERAS-undergraduate research work for credit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

future_MD_doc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok...I can't decide if I should put this in ERAS. I did 3 credit research work during my undergraduate years. Although, the faculty involved was doing this major work, my duties were limited to to basic/regular biochemistry/micorbiology work which involved DNA sequencing, electrophoresis, PCR etc. You get the picture....Should I put it under research work for ERAS. But I got three credits at the end. I wrote a 10 page paper at the end describing what I did in the lab. And I got three credits toward research requirement.

Members don't see this ad.

i think you can. it counts as research experience, assuming that you were aware of the thinking behind the project, and were not simply a technician mindlessly pouring gels. if you have a lot of other research experience, then you may not want to bother, but otherwise i think it's always good to show some inclination towards research. remember never to put down anything you wouldn't be able to talk about in an interview (unlikely that they would bring up undergrad research though)...

thanks for your reply. One thing I forgot to mention: I am not sure if their study was ever published or presented etc. because I never followed up with them after I got my three credits

Does that matter?

well it shouldn't be hard to figure out if it was published, because you can always do a medline search with the researchers' names. i'm not sure how you could figure out if it was presented though. but i don't think this matters a whole lot in terms of whether or not to write it on your application. bottom line is, programs won't care too much about a small undergrad research project either way, so decide for yourself if it would look better if you added some more research to your cv, and beyond that, don't worry about it.