ERAS Trouble

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peroxide

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Help!

I submitted my application online, but I didn't know it allowed the addition of extracurricular activities and teaching experience, as a result, I can't add it now. I spoke to ERAS and they can't do anything now.

I have e-mailed some programs asking to attatch my CV in microsoft word format.

Will this affect my match? Is there anything I can do?

I did relatively well (92) on Step 1, and am in the top 30% of my class and am applying for Internal Medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

peroxide said:
Help!

I submitted my application online, but I didn't know it allowed the addition of extracurricular activities and teaching experience, as a result, I can't add it now. I spoke to ERAS and they can't do anything now.

I have e-mailed some programs asking to attatch my CV in microsoft word format.

Will this affect my match? Is there anything I can do?

I did relatively well (92) on Step 1, and am in the top 30% of my class and am applying for Internal Medicine.

Yes, I think it will. It is Sept. 1st. You submitted your residency application without proofreading on the first day it can be submitted. You obviously missed a very basic part of the application. I think it will show that you are impulsive and careless.

I feel I must agree with scholes on this. I also want to add that IMHO, omitting the teaching experience and so on probably wont hurt your application to a great degree. You can bring a copy of your updated CV to interviews.

scholes said:
Yes, I think it will. It is Sept. 1st. You submitted your residency application without proofreading on the first day it can be submitted. You obviously missed a very basic part of the application. I think it will show that you are impulsive and careless.

I think you will be fine. I am not even sure how much residency programs care about the items you missed. Your score is solid for IM and this should not affect your getting interviews. You can bring up that stuff in your interview. :D

Tartufe said:
I think you will be fine. I am not even sure how much residency programs care about the items you missed. Your score is solid for IM and this should not affect your getting interviews. You can bring up that stuff in your interview. :D

I agree with the fact that omitting this information will not hurt your application. You omitted it. Forget about it. But by emailing the programs and telling them "Oh man I didnt even realize that ERAS had an extra-curricular section. Want my CV instead?"...this just makes it much much worse.

scholes said:
I agree with the fact that omitting this information will not hurt your application. You omitted it. Forget about it. But by emailing the programs and telling them "Oh man I didnt even realize that ERAS had an extra-curricular section. Want my CV instead?"...this just makes it much much worse.

Hey to the OP. Dude your Step1 is kick a$$ so i mean you can probably do anything you want and still get into a great IM program. As you know IM isnt that competitive, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Additionally, I recently talked to a program director in Anesthesiology (which is EXTREMELy competitive nowaday) and he straight up told me that they dont even read teh personal statements. he was like, for the most part they'll read the first paragraph then glance over the rest and MAYBE read teh last one. So.....I mean i highly doubt they'll care about the other stuff.

Just keep your head up man. I'm telling you, I bet you that Step 1 will carry you far.

peace

ThinkFast007 said:
Hey to the OP. Dude your Step1 is kick a$$ so i mean you can probably do anything you want and still get into a great IM program. As you know IM isnt that competitive, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Additionally, I recently talked to a program director in Anesthesiology (which is EXTREMELy competitive nowaday) and he straight up told me that they dont even read teh personal statements. he was like, for the most part they'll read the first paragraph then glance over the rest and MAYBE read teh last one. So.....I mean i highly doubt they'll care about the other stuff.

Just keep your head up man. I'm telling you, I bet you that Step 1 will carry you far.

peace

Really?? I talked to other PDs who do read the whole personal statement, if it's good. Different PDs seem to do different things. I've come to the conclusion that one can't please all the PDs. Some are gonna like it, some aren't. Just do the best you can.

To the OP, I agree that making a big fuss over the omission is gonna make things worse, b/c it calls attention to the mistake.