ERAS Token

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kargo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an intern and I'm thinking about trying to match into a different specialty. How do you go about getting the token needed to register with ERAS? Do you have to contact your old school? Thanks for the help in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt anybody here would know the true answer to this question without doing a quick search, but I would imagine that you contact your old Dean's office about this... just my guess!

yes, i did it last year. you just have to contact your school and they will give you the token.

kargo said:
I'm an intern and I'm thinking about trying to match into a different specialty. How do you go about getting the token needed to register with ERAS? Do you have to contact your old school? Thanks for the help in advance.

Do you even have to enter the match? I thought transfers could go outside of the match.

Yes, you just contact the dean's office from the school you attended. It's really not as big of a deal as it's made out to be. Many people change their minds and then scramble to find another spot. May I ask what you are in or are thinking about changing to? I changed my mind my first year out of school. I moved my family across the country and then realized I had made a huge mistake going into ob because in no way did I want that lifestyle. I finally decided on family practice after I pretty much ruled out everything else. It was the one thing that I could do a little bit of everything in. I ended up getting a spot at the same place that I went to school. It was great to be back in the environment that I knew so well and of course already knew a lot of the people who I started working with. I've loved it ever since. Great hours, great pace, I can't imagine how my life would be if I had stayed with ob.

CameronFrye said:
Do you even have to enter the match? I thought transfers could go outside of the match.

What residency are you leaving and what do you want to go into?

You can go outside of the ERAS and the match but there are more positions available through that system. However just because you use eras does not hold you to the rules of the match. Programs can offer you positions on the day you interview.

My advice is to send your CV, scores LOR, PS to various PDs of programs you are interested in and see what they have to say. You may just get several calling you for an interview.