eras timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baymed408

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
I am just about to start the application process, feeling a bit overwhelmed, in terms of writing my personal statement. When exactly do most people turn in their statement, since the eras website states applications from students are not forwarded to programs till sept 2. When do programs actaully see your complete file, considering deans letters go out in NOv. I'm really confused about the whole timing of things. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

ERAS is nice because it can be done in bits and pieces. The only thing you need to have completed to "apply" is the CAF. Once that is completed you can submit your application to the programs you are interested in and PD's will see it. Last year I know many students interested in Peds, IM, FP got interviews with nothing more than this and their USMLE scores sent to programs.

After you have submitted the CAF the other pieces can be sent one by one as you complete them. The way it works is that programs have computer software that constantly updates your file for them from the ERAS database. Usually you have to have all your material (LOR's, Scores, Statement) in by the program deadline which is usually about Nov. 2 when Dean's letters come out.

It is possible to send different Statements to every program, and different letters to every program, or the same ones to all of them. It is possible to send one statement, retract it, and send a different one. Same for letters. So overall the system is pretty flexible.

So to answer your question directly, in competitive programs (Rads, Anes, EM, Cat Surg) I would say people generally have their CAF ready to go on Sept. 2 so that "their name is on the list." The rest of the material follows during Sept. and hopefully is complete by early Oct. You can usually add letters right up to the programs' deadlines. Sometimes the first time they will see a complete file is on your interview day, but they generally don't expect a complete file until after Nov. 2.

C

Dumb question: what is a "CAF"?

thanks for the reply. Its nice to know its more flexible!

CAF = Common Application File. It's your ERAS CV.