ERAS. Step 2CK Issues. Appreciate any advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaurieDonks

Reaction score
I'm a 4th year medical student in low-tier school on the East Coast getting ready for the upcoming ERAS application.

My issues:
-I have a very low Step 1 Score
-Per recommendation from school advisers, I'm in the middle of a couple of sub-I's and electives right now so that they could be talked about on my MSPE.
-Because of Sub-Is, my dedicated Step 2CK studying time isn't until middle of August, with CK currently scheduled in the middle of September.

I was told that I did not need my Step 2CK before ERAS opens because the MSPE isn't ready until October 1st. However, after reading things here, I'm not so sure if that was true since some PDs seem to look at apps right on September 15th.

It's way to late to reschedule my Step2CK to get my score in time. My Step2CK right now is estimated to have the score released on the first Wednesday of October. I can theoretically schedule my Step2CK one week earlier so the estimated release will be the last week of September.

With all that, what should I do with my ERAS application?
1) Submit on September 15th even with my terrible Step 1 score and without a Step 2CK score
2) Keep my CK date, and submit everything on October 3rd.
3) Move up my CK date. Have one less week of studying. But I'll have my score before MSPE is released. So my app would fully be 100% by October 1st with the MSPE.

I'm really anxious and I don't know what to do. I feel like I made a huge mistake scheduling my Sub-Is this early.

FTR, I'm planning on applying to Family Med.

Appreciate anything you can tell me.

Members don't see this ad.

I vote for 1. Get your app in on time, then when you get your CK score update your app with the new USMLE transcript. It would be better obviously if you had everything ready on 9/15, but better to get your app in the pile to be looked at early on, and you can't afford to not do well on step 2ck so don't think about moving your CK date up.

Reactions: 2 users
I vote for 1. Get your app in on time, then when you get your CK score update your app with the new USMLE transcript. It would be better obviously if you had everything ready on 9/15, but better to get your app in the pile to be looked at early on, and you can't afford to not do well on step 2ck so don't think about moving your CK date up.

I agree completely. Better to have your application in the system and update it with your Step 2 score than wait until October. In defense of your adviser, in the not too distant past, the submission date didn't matter as much and you could wait until October. Now the vast majority of applications arrive as soon as ERAS opens, and I fill many of my interview slots before I get the MSPEs

Given my very low Step 1 score, won't PDs just disregard my app and not look at it again even when I update it in October?

Given my very low Step 1 score, won't PDs just disregard my app and not look at it again even when I update it in October?
@mcl can speak to this better, but my understanding is that when you update your application the programs get a notification that it has been updated. If they are going to be swayed by an improved step 2CK score, it shouldn't matter if you submit in September or October, and you'll miss out on any low-tier programs that might fill their interview slots early with other applicants with similarly low stats.

Reactions: 1 user
@mcl can speak to this better, but my understanding is that when you update your application the programs get a notification that it has been updated. If they are going to be swayed by an improved step 2CK score, it shouldn't matter if you submit in September or October, and you'll miss out on any low-tier programs that might fill their interview slots early with other applicants with similarly low stats.

Exactly. Yes--some programs (especially competitive ones) will weed out your application. But they may circle back to it later in the recruitment cycle if they have interview slots and you have something compelling about your application that overrides concerns about your Step score. But less competitive programs will also start looking on Sept 15, and you need to be in the applicant pool in order to get interview invitations.

Also yes--programs can check for updated application information. Quite honestly, I don't find it as user-friendly as the old desktop ERAS system, but I've set up a filter to find applications that are complete except for Step 2 and can find the updates pretty easily by process of elimination. For my program, Step 2 is only crucial to the interview invite if your Step 1 is borderline or clerkship grades/comments don't seem strong (I don't want to panic people into thinking that all is lost if they don't have Step 2 posted by Sept 15th).

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for all the input everyone.

Sorry to ask for clarification, but I'm just really anxious and disappointed in myself for now doing my own research about this earlier.

In summary, you guys strongly believe I should submit my app (with no Step 2CK; only a very low Step 1 score) as soon as possible (September 15th). The downside of not having a Step 2CK score is not as bad as the downside of interview slots getting filled even before the MSPE is released.
Waiting until October 3rd to include my Step 2 score is a bad idea. Also moving my date 1-week up so I would at least have everything complete by the time the MSPE is released is also a bad idea, especially since I'll have one less week to study.

My goal was to apply to community programs and go back to the West coast, but I realize that may be unlikely now and will have to broaden my geographical range.

Sorry to ask for clarification, but I'm just really anxious and disappointed in myself for now doing my own research about this earlier.

In summary, you guys strongly believe I should submit my app (with no Step 2CK; only a very low Step 1 score) as soon as possible (September 15th). The downside of not having a Step 2CK score is not as bad as the downside of interview slots getting filled even before the MSPE is released.
Waiting until October 3rd to include my Step 2 score is a bad idea. Also moving my date 1-week up so I would at least have everything complete by the time the MSPE is released is also a bad idea, especially since I'll have one less week to study.

My goal was to apply to community programs and go back to the West coast, but I realize that may be unlikely now and will have to broaden my geographical range.

Yes, that seems to be the consensus. Definitely broaden your geographic range for applications. Plan to place some follow up phone calls after your Step 2 gets released, especially if you score well. Use any connections you and your adviser(s) have with programs to secure interviews.

Thanks. Who do applicants typically call in these scenarios?

And my advisers all trained in the east coast as well, so connections are slim.

Yes. Do what you said. Honestly, I think this timeline worked out fine--your advisors weren't wrong, it is important that you have strong letters too.

Realize that residency is only 3 years, you can move back when you're done. You need to focus on matching, period.

You can probably email the PC at the programs if you want to.

I didn’t take CK until October, score released late November, and I had plenty of interviews. Granted, Step 1 was solid and I went into a different field, but you will be fine as long as you apply broadly, especially if your are going into FM. I did get a few interview invites from some of the more competitive programs a few days after Step scores came out - seems like they were “holding” onto my app until they got the score to make a final decision, so I would definitely submit on time. Applying on time and applying broadly is the key for anyone matching, this isn’t the time to gamble on anything.

First of all, I had a very low step 1 (barely above 200) and I just graduated from IM residency. I ended up matching at a decent mid-tier academic IM program I think mainly because of my 1) medical school name, and the fact that 2) I increased my step 2 CK by about 30+ points.

-Per recommendation from school advisers, I'm in the middle of a couple of sub-I's and electives right now so that they could be talked about on my MSPE.
-Because of Sub-Is, my dedicated Step 2CK studying time isn't until middle of August, with CK currently scheduled in the middle of September.

Unfortunately, I think this is very bad advice. If anything, you really need the Step 2 CK to show that you can pass licensing exams. Honestly, the CK rescued me from not being interviewed at a lot of different programs during my application (I applied to 50-60 and interviewed about about 20) -- several programs asked me what happened on my step 1 at the interview but then followed it up with "well, we saw that you improved significantly on CK, so that's great."

I don't want to muddy the water any further, but what you need is actually to take the CK earlier so that the scores could potentially be available by Sept 15. The reason for this being that the step 1 screen was intense even when I applied 3 years ago, and I can only imagine that it got worse in the interim. Having a good step 2 CK is almost like a saving grace in terms of getting your app through the filters, and no amount of glowing LORs will save you if you can't even get through the initial filter. I figured I was getting filtered because I had mostly missed the first wave of interviews (based on friends and as reported by SDN interviews thread) but then had multiple all at once a few weeks later into the season.

The two things that an applicant with a poor step 1 needs (speaking from personal experience) are early CK and early sub-i. CK by app date > excellent sub-i letter (and hopefully honors on sub-i).

Now, being the beginning of July, I don't know what would be feasible with the scheduling of your electives or re-scheduling your exam, so if it is not doable then just stick to the original plan. Not to pile on more pressure, but you absolutely have to do well on CK, so take whatever time you need to make it happen. Do not rush and do poorly. Also, yes, I agree with everyone above that you need to submit by Sept 15. Not having a CK, although not ideal, is preferable than having a complete application late and not being in the first wave of apps being reviewed. Sure, you probably will get filtered out at a ton of places, but it's better than not having your app in the pool at all.

FM may also be easier than IM. If there are key programs that you want to interview at on the west coast, don't hesitate to contact the program (I never actually called anyone but often have emailed the PD while cc'ing the program coordinator). I netted about 5 extra interviews this way with the PC or the PD actually responding to my email (mostly community programs). Of course, once your CK comes back, update your USMLE transcript and reach out to all your ideal programs about the CK score (if you performed significantly better).

Best of luck to you! It's really stressful with low board scores, especially when everyone here seems to have at least average if not a whole SD or more above average, but it will work out at the end. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take, so go for it!

Reactions: 1 users