ERAS question: "Title" of letter writer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Micro115

M4
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you enter in the names of your letter writers into ERAS and you must state their "title," does this refer to "M.D." or "Clinical Assistant Professor" (for example)?

If the correct answer is the latter, then: I tried to enter in "Residency Program Director" and "Clinical Assistant Professor" b/c one of my letter writers is both, but there is not enough space to type all of that in! I'm assuming I should go with "Residency Program Director" then b/c it is a more distinguished title?

Members don't see this ad.

When you enter in the names of your letter writers into ERAS and you must state their "title," does this refer to "M.D." or "Clinical Assistant Professor" (for example)?

If the correct answer is the latter, then: I tried to enter in "Residency Program Director" and "Clinical Assistant Professor" b/c one of my letter writers is both, but there is not enough space to type all of that in! I'm assuming I should go with "Residency Program Director" then b/c it is a more distinguished title?

I would put clinical assistant professor. You can right MD after their name. John Doe, MD
Title/Department: Professor and Chairman/OBGYN

I would put clinical assistant professor. You can right MD after their name. John Doe, MD
Title/Department: Professor and Chairman/OBGYN

Agree. The title is their job title. On your LOR entry and cover sheet you can list their name as Dr XYZ or XYZ, MD, to convey their degree, and they certainly will in their signature on the letter itself anyhow.

Oh crap. I just put the department. It said title/department and I was thinking / as "or". D'oh! None of my writers had a special title and the ERAS instructions said "Enter the name and department of the letter writer." So for example it says Dr. Sam Jones, Internal Medicine. Now they're going to think I can't follow simple directions! AProgDirector, should I call my Dean's Office and try to get them to change it (by designating "new" letter writers)?

Last edited:
One of my letter writers explicitly asked me to just put MD there so she could put her title on the letter (her title was changing, apparently). Anyway, I imagine most letter writers will include their title with their signature, and as long as it's on there somewhere, I can't imagine it matters whether the box on ERAS says "Assistant Clinical Professor," "Internal Medicine," or "MD, MPH".

Oh crap. I just put the department. It said title/department and I was thinking / as "or". D'oh! None of my writers had a special title and the ERAS instructions said "Enter the name and department of the letter writer." So for example it says Dr. Sam Jones, Internal Medicine. Now they're going to think I can't follow simple directions! AProgDirector, should I call my Dean's Office and try to get them to change it (by designating "new" letter writers)?

This is a very minor issue. It's what's in the letter that matters. Don't try to "fix" it, it ain't broken.

Thanks for the reality check :D

One of my letter writers will be my family medicine preceptor.

He is in solo, private practice, out in the community.
So I really don't know what I will/should write in the title/department space.
(I guess I "could" go ahead & write "Family Practice" or "Family Practitioner"?)

Is it ok to have a letter from someone like this, or will it not carry as much weight as from someone who is an actual faculty member at my school? (I thought he'd be good because he really got to know me better than most preceptors.)

His title is most likely "Clinical Assistant Professor". If he knows you well a letter from him should be good IMHO.

I also just put MD or DO (plus any other acronyms - FAAFP, etc...) for title.

I haven't submitted my application yet, so there is still time to type it differently.

Would you guys recommend changing it now, since I am able to? Or is it not a big deal?

Thanks!

is the correct way to abbreviate "medical doctor" just "MD" or is it "M.D." ?

I also just put MD or DO (plus any other acronyms - FAAFP, etc...) for title.

I haven't submitted my application yet, so there is still time to type it differently.

Would you guys recommend changing it now, since I am able to? Or is it not a big deal?

Thanks!

is the correct way to abbreviate "medical doctor" just "MD" or is it "M.D." ?

The answer to both of these questions is: "Not a big deal".

I've gotten a couple of letters from my Medicine clerkship. The issue is that I rotated at a hospital that contracts hospitalists from a private group, so the physicians with whom I worked are not technically in academia and don't have traditional titles (Associate or Full Professor, etc) I suppose.

So, what titles should I apply to these physicians? Attending/Faculty? - One suggestion here was Clinical Assistant Professor for a family practioner, but I am not really familiar with this title.

I know this is nitpicky, but I assume some readers will be concerned with such details.

Thanks!

I've gotten a couple of letters from my Medicine clerkship. The issue is that I rotated at a hospital that contracts hospitalists from a private group, so the physicians with whom I worked are not technically in academia and don't have traditional titles (Associate or Full Professor, etc) I suppose.

So, what titles should I apply to these physicians? Attending/Faculty? - One suggestion here was Clinical Assistant Professor for a family practioner, but I am not really familiar with this title.

I know this is nitpicky, but I assume some readers will be concerned with such details.

Thanks!

Honestly I doubt anyone will care. Just put "Hospitalist" or "Attending?, or you could ask the faculty what they will put below their signature.

The answer to both of these questions is: "Not a big deal".

How about just one period (either M.D or MD.)?

Or what if I had periods in one place and none in another, and only one in a third?

Big deal?

Then ".MD" must be beyond huge.

This discussion reminds me about a comment on another topic which said if the entry to medical school became more lenient, the proportion of type A personalities in medicine would reduce :).

Just chill - I think they really dont care - its the content that matters.

(P.S. I've put MD everywhere, no M.D., .MD or MD.) :D