ERAS question for upcoming year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ologist

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When i submit my ERAS application this upcoming Sept.1, how far ahead, in terms of planned rotations, do i have to put down. in other words, will the programs i'm applying to know what rotations i plan to be taking in november, december, or january?

The reason i'm asking is that the two rotations i plan on doing in november and december are anesthesiology. on top of that, i already have an anesthesiology rotation set up for august. AND i'm currently doing one right now, which is the end of my 3rd year. So in all i would of done 4 anesthesiology rotations.

Will this hurt my application? What if i also plan to apply to internal medicine as a backup? Will they question why the hell i did so many anesthesia rotations?

Thanks in advance guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Ologist said:
When i submit my ERAS application this upcoming Sept.1, how far ahead, in terms of planned rotations, do i have to put down. in other words, will the programs i'm applying to know what rotations i plan to be taking in november, december, or january?

The reason i'm asking is that the two rotations i plan on doing in november and december are anesthesiology. on top of that, i already have an anesthesiology rotation set up for august. AND i'm currently doing one right now, which is the end of my 3rd year. So in all i would of done 4 anesthesiology rotations.

Will this hurt my application? What if i also plan to apply to internal medicine as a backup? Will they question why the hell i did so many anesthesia rotations?

Thanks in advance guys.

ERAS only has the data at the time that you submit it. Your school transcript will have only the grades up to the point it was submitted (ie the rotation grades up to that point). They will not have any idea of future rotations unless you send them an updated transcript.

Wook

wook said:
ERAS only has the data at the time that you submit it. Your school transcript will have only the grades up to the point it was submitted (ie the rotation grades up to that point). They will not have any idea of future rotations unless you send them an updated transcript.

Wook

Depends on your program I think. Our transcript includes all courses we are currently registered for. Since we register for our entire 4th year at once (with lots of time to make changes later), that is all on our transcript when it's submitted to ERAS including dates of rotations (PDs are smart enough to know that the "no grade" on your April suntanning elective isn't because you failed it) and grades of completed rotations at the time it's transmitted.

I think a better question is why do you feel the need to do 4 gas electives (assuming they're all 4 week ones)? Gas is kind of competitive but it's not plastics or anything. I think anesthesia programs (and prelims) may actually wonder why you have such a one-track mind.

My $0.02.

BE

brooklyneric said:
Depends on your program I think. Our transcript includes all courses we are currently registered for. Since we register for our entire 4th year at once (with lots of time to make changes later), that is all on our transcript when it's submitted to ERAS including dates of rotations (PDs are smart enough to know that the "no grade" on your April suntanning elective isn't because you failed it) and grades of completed rotations at the time it's transmitted.

My $0.02.

BE

Good point. I did not realize some schools transcripts included the classes your registered for. Thanks!

Wook

Ologist said:

Thanks in advance guys.

I did 3 anesthesia rotations (one home, two away) and one program director questioned me pretty boldly about it, saying that there are better ways to spend one's time experiencing different parts of medicine than doing 3 months of the same thing. I can't imagine what people would say about four months of anesthesia!

However... if you are an average or better US MD applicant, you really don't need 4 aways.... two months was just about enough for me, and by the time my third month started, I realized I was sick of it and couldn't enjoy the rotation as much as I did when I was actually learning something from the same daily discussions and pimp sessions.

I would consider dropping the January rotation even though they probably won't know you're doing 4 months of anesthesia by the time they interview you. By January you'll have already scheduled your interviews and it'll be too late to impact whether they offer you an interview (although if you already had an interview offered based purely on your LORS/grades/USMLEs, your month may affect how highly they rank you).