ERAS Qs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goooooober

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to ask these Qs because my school is doing a poor job explaining things to us. By when should your ERAS be complete to be considered in the very first group of applications? I know that PDs begin downloading them Sept. 1st, but does it matter if your application was completed say July 10th vs. August 20th? Can I submit my ERAS if all my letters of rec are not in or do I have to wait to get everything before I submit my application? Finally, if I end up having to scramble, do I just have ERAS submit all my info to programs that have openings? Thanx for info in advance. Peace out.

Members don't see this ad.

goooooober said:
I have to ask these Qs because my school is doing a poor job explaining things to us. By when should your ERAS be complete to be considered in the very first group of applications? I know that PDs begin downloading them Sept. 1st, but does it matter if your application was completed say July 10th vs. August 20th? Can I submit my ERAS if all my letters of rec are not in or do I have to wait to get everything before I submit my application? Finally, if I end up having to scramble, do I just have ERAS submit all my info to programs that have openings? Thanx for info in advance. Peace out.

Please visit my humble blog and scroll down a little. All will be explained.

goooooober said:

from what i can remember, you can fill out your eras app and have it ready to go but you can't formally submit it until sept 1.

at that time you must pick out programs you want to send your app to and pay the fee. (note that you don't have to pick out ALL of your programs at that time, you can go back later and add or remove programs but if you add more programs, you will have to pay for those too). i think at the minimum you have to fill out your demographic info and once you submit your app you CANNOT change that part. everything else can be done and sent in later, this includes letters of rec, transcripts, personal statement and the deans letter, which is usually sent out around nov. 1.

as for the scramble, most programs use ERAS, but some are still old school and will 1) do a brief phone interview with you when you call them for info and 2) will ask you to fax your app to them.

hth

Best to work on it over the summer and fall and submit as close to Sept 1 as possible. Nobody knows what date you completed the forms on ERAS - only the date you actually submitted to the programs.

It's ok if some of the letters trickle in after you submit your application. And nobody's application will be totally complete until the dean's letters go out Nov 1. Yet many programs will start offering interviews as soon as the applications start coming in. When I submitted on Sept 6, I had 3 out of 4 letters and of course no dean's letter, and got several interviews within the first week.

First Aid for the Match is a helpful little book that explains a lot of this.