ERAS publications with no issue number

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

p@thfinder

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi- I realize that there are many threads about ERAS publications and how to format them, however, I haven't found any that touch on this particular problem. ERAS forces you to type something into the "issue number" box (as well as the "volume number" and "pages" box). Many publications do not have an issue number, only a volume number, or are epub ahead of print. I've been playing around with putting a "-" or a "." in the issue number box, but the formatting looks kinda odd when I look at the CV, almost as if I'm missing something or I made mistake.

Examples:

Person A, Person B, Person C, Person D. The least important article in the world. Journal of Life. May, 2017; 23(-): 599-617.

or

Person A, Person B, Person C, Person D. The least important article in the world. Journal of Life. May, 2017; 23(.): 599-617.

Also, I have seen online that if there is no issue number some citations just use the year it was published, but then you're repeating the year, which also looks silly.

Person A, Person B, Person C, Person D. The least important article in the world. Journal of Life. May, 2017; 23(2017): 599-617.

So should I use "." "-" a "0" or the year of publication?

Also: If it's epub ahead of print, what would you put?

Person A, Person B, Person C, Person D. The least important article in the world. Journal of Life. May, 2017; Epub ahead of print(-):-.

or

Person A, Person B, Person C, Person D. The least important article in the world. Journal of Life. May, 2017; Epub ahead of print(.): doi://1263w984qwyf876e019qeuq08w69.

I realize this is incredibly pedantic but I just want someone to tell me what they did or that it just doesn't matter.

THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi- I realize that there are many threads about ERAS publications and how to format them, however, I haven't found any that touch on this particular problem. ERAS forces you to type something into the "issue number" box (as well as the "volume number" and "pages" box). Many publications do not have an issue number, only a volume number, or are epub ahead of print. I've been playing around with putting a "-" or a "." in the issue number box, but the formatting looks kinda odd when I look at the CV, almost as if I'm missing something or I made mistake.

Examples:

Person A, Person B, Person C, Person D. The least important article in the world. Journal of Life. May, 2017; 23(-): 599-617.

or

Person A, Person B, Person C, Person D. The least important article in the world. Journal of Life. May, 2017; 23(.): 599-617.

Also, I have seen online that if there is no issue number some citations just use the year it was published, but then you're repeating the year, which also looks silly.

Person A, Person B, Person C, Person D. The least important article in the world. Journal of Life. May, 2017; 23(2017): 599-617.

So should I use "." "-" a "0" or the year of publication?

Also: If it's epub ahead of print, what would you put?

Person A, Person B, Person C, Person D. The least important article in the world. Journal of Life. May, 2017; Epub ahead of print(-):-.

or

Person A, Person B, Person C, Person D. The least important article in the world. Journal of Life. May, 2017; Epub ahead of print(.): doi://1263w984qwyf876e019qeuq08w69.

I realize this is incredibly pedantic but I just want someone to tell me what they did or that it just doesn't matter.

THANKS!
It doesn't matter. I personally PubMed all articles listed to see if an article is really published or not. Whether you put a ., ', X, etc won't matter.

Reactions: 1 user
It doesn't matter. I personally PubMed all articles listed to see if an article is really published or not. Whether you put a ., ', X, etc won't matter.

Do you look up abstracts that are published online?

Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you so much! That makes me feel better.