ERAS Publications Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mtglover1991

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I certified and submitted ERAS a couple weeks back and included my one and only paper as "submitted" in the research section (along with 5 other research experiences between poster and oral presentations on the same topic). The journal got back to me and the team much faster than anticipated with an acceptance. In my head, this is a big deal as it serves as a capstone to a lengthy research experience and I share co-first authorship with my PI on the paper followed by a number of other authors. Obviously I can't go back and edit my app, as it has already been certified, but I am nervous that this (submitted vs accepted) could be an important distinction with some of the more research-oriented programs that I am applying to. The question is this: should I let it be with the plan to try and bring it up in a potential interview or should I reach out to these programs with an update email?

I'm neurotic, I know. I just honestly didn't expect my paper to be accepted so quickly (or at all really, to be honest) and want to give myself the best chance possible with some of my reach programs.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Congrats on getting your paper accepted. Yes it is a big difference. No one cares if youve submitted something - having something in press means you have an actual publication. It is unfortunate you submitted your application early. It is also the case no one is going to decide whether to interview you or not just based on this one publication (except possibly if it was published in science, nature, cell, jama, nejm, or the lancet). I would not just bring it up at interview. You can let programs know via email either when they have interviewed you, once the manuscript is Available online, or if you aren’t hearing from programs you can add it to your email of interest to programs. I wouldn’t just start emailing programs right now about it though.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats on getting your paper accepted. Yes it is a big difference. No one cares if youve submitted something - having something in press means you have an actual publication. It is unfortunate you submitted your application early. It is also the case no one is going to decide whether to interview you or not just based on this one publication (except possibly if it was published in science, nature, cell, jama, nejm, or the lancet). I would not just bring it up at interview. You can let programs know via email either when they have interviewed you, once the manuscript is Available online, or if you aren’t hearing from programs you can add it to your email of interest to programs. I wouldn’t just start emailing programs right now about it though.
Thank you for the advice. I ended up contacting my program to ask if I can include that the paper has been accepted in the 'research' notable characteristic bullet of my MSPE, to which they agreed. Hopefully that makes it a bit clearer when my app gets reviewed. I will still follow your advice when applicable.

Reactions: 1 user