ERAS Personal Statement Length 2022-2023 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WashingtonR

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did ERAS shrink the Personal Statement page? I kept my PS to 650 words, but it doesn't come close to fitting onto 1 page in ERAS. I can get about 550 words with 4 paragraph breaks in before it pushes to a 2nd page. Yes, I understand how to format in ERAS.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're copying straight from a word document, it will do that. It's a weird formating thing, so what you do is copy from word, paste into notepad or any other simple text-only software (mac users), then copy and paste into ERAS.

Edit: or type straight from the ERAS software without copying and pasting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If you're copying straight from a word document, it will do that. It's a weird formating thing, so what you do is copy from word, paste into notepad or any other simple text-only software (mac users), then copy and paste into ERAS.

Edit: or type straight from the ERAS software without copying and pasting.
Unfortunately I've been copying from a simple text program (notepad) all along and I'm still having this problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I tried directly transcribing my essay and it turns out that it doesn't make a difference. My final version, which just barely fits onto 1 page in ERAS, is 570 words split into 6 paragraphs. Paragraph breaks eat up a lot of space. If I wrote one run-on paragraph, I could get ~670 words onto the page, which is still a lot less than the 750 I saw quoted by last year's applicants.

So I tried directly transcribing my essay and it turns out that it doesn't make a difference. My final version, which just barely fits onto 1 page in ERAS, is 570 words split into 6 paragraphs. Paragraph breaks eat up a lot of space. If I wrote one run-on paragraph, I could get ~670 words onto the page, which is still a lot less than the 750 I saw quoted by last year's applicants.
It sounds like this isn't entirely the issue, but 6 paragraphs is way too many 3, maybe 4 tops.