eras couples questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shortbread9

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
before all of you get annoyed..i did check out eras before posting this and i still have a couple of questions. Can you at any time decide not to couples match once u have selected it into Eras but before sending in rank lists? I am just wondering how it all works if one person does not get many interviews and it makes it more likely to scramble...so its better to go at it alone. since u fill in for couples v/s non before you get interviews. Also, how does it work when you or your partner fill in NO MATCH for a slot? I would like some clarification on it.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I just went through the couples match so here's what I found:

You CAN uncouple at any time during the process (until your ROL are certified and the deadline has passed). Both partners have to uncouple.

You both sign up for ERAS and chose to couple, pay the fee and designate your partner. When ranking, you each have a separate list, and you have to make sure each # spot matches up with the corresponding rank on your partner's list. If there is one couple with a program and the other wishes to remain "unmatched", there is a code for this (that they give you - it's a bunch of 9's). It's not too complicated, but when doing the rank list it's a little nerve-wracking because we quadruple checked ours to make sure our match lists matched up (by city and program).

My partner ended up scrambling, because he was applying for a competitive specialty, but we had planned for it, just in case. If you want more info or have more questions, please feel free to PM me. :D

Hope this helped!