ERAS: Applications vs Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Curly

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious how many surgical residencies everyone applied to and how many interviews you received. It would be great if you could reply in the following format:

Number of programs applied to:
Number of interviews received:
Did you match?
Did you match to one of your top 3: (if you are from the class of 2014 please ignore)
Did you apply to preliminary year programs? If so how many?
Step 1 and Step 2 score
Location/State of medical school:

Unique goal of residency, e.g. were you hoping to match to a community program or a top 5 program etc.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I was curious how many surgical residencies everyone applied to and how many interviews you received. It would be great if you could reply in the following format:

Number of programs applied to:
Number of interviews received:
Did you match?
Did you match to one of your top 3: (if you are from the class of 2014 please ignore)
Did you apply to preliminary year programs? If so how many?
Step 1 and Step 2 score
Location/State of medical school:

Unique goal of residency, e.g. were you hoping to match to a community program or a top 5 program etc.

Thanks in advance!
You do realize that most of that information is published by the ACGME in Charting Outcomes in The Match, right?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Actually this is not published by the "ACGME in Charting Outcomes in The Match". Charting outcomes reports contiguous ranks per specialty, average step 1, average step 2, etc.

There is none/little information on the number of programs one should apply to in order to receive X number of interviews. I also know that location has an important influence on the number of interviews received. A coastal program will likely have a higher average step 1 at a University program versus a Midwest school.

With the GME cap on residency slots and the rising number of medical students not matching, I feel like it is important to be highly realistic about your prospects in a specialty. If you are a poorly qualified applicant then you may need to apply to twice as many programs to receive adequate interviews. The trouble is as stated earlier that it is unclear how many programs one should apply to with X step 1 score to receive Y number of interviews.

My medical school is attempting to increase the percentage of non-scrambble matches. We are currently gathering this data at our school. However, as we all know, data from a single institution is limited. I was attempting to increase my data pool in a simple way through a forum.

I would greatly appreciate responses to my original question, and I hope that this forum will foster success to my peers across the country in their ability to successfully match to their desired specialty.

Status
Not open for further replies.