ERAS and CV question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Induc(junc)tion

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, looking at my CV on ERAS, I am getting kind of nervous. I only had one award given in Medical school, and I am not a member in any honorary/professional societies. I have volunteered at a local humane society throughout my medical school career, and at a free clinic for the underserved, but other than that I have not done much else. No paid employment to be put down.

So, my question is, is this bad? I mean looking at the thing, it looks like I didnt do much during medical school. I mean I have very good grades and board scores and all. I just wanted to have a life during medical school, so once grades were taken care of, I didnt do a lot of extracurriculars otherwise in order to spend time with family and friends.

Also, what should be put down for hobbies, and should they just be listed in a bullet format, or should you talk breifly about each one? What hobbies are generally good to describe, and which to avoid?

Thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

Induc(junc)tion said:
Well, looking at my CV on ERAS, I am getting kind of nervous. I only had one award given in Medical school, and I am not a member in any honorary/professional societies. I have volunteered at a local humane society throughout my medical school career, and at a free clinic for the underserved, but other than that I have not done much else. No paid employment to be put down.

So, my question is, is this bad? I mean looking at the thing, it looks like I didnt do much during medical school. I mean I have very good grades and board scores and all. I just wanted to have a life during medical school, so once grades were taken care of, I didnt do a lot of extracurriculars otherwise in order to spend time with family and friends.

Also, what should be put down for hobbies, and should they just be listed in a bullet format, or should you talk breifly about each one? What hobbies are generally good to describe, and which to avoid?

Thanks all.

Wow you actually have an award? Most med students dont. And I think your 2 community service committments are admirable and plenty. I know this sounds cliched, but it's true: it's not about the quantity, but the quality and dedication. All those different sections are there in case people have something in that category to list.

For hobbies, i think i listed them in bullet format in that section with very little space (the one at the end i think?). But if you have a hobby that you'd like to explain in more detail, if you can fit it in that section, explain the detail there. If not enough room, see if you can mention it in your essay or in the work experience section (if applicable).

BTW, re: awards & experiences, you should also list relevant commitments and major awards received in undergrad.

Thanks for the help. With regards to the community service commitments, should we just list them, or should we describe them? If so, how much of a desciprtion should we provide? Thanks again.

IJ

Induc(junc)tion said:
Thanks for the help. With regards to the community service commitments, should we just list them, or should we describe them? If so, how much of a desciprtion should we provide? Thanks again.

IJ

For that stuff I gave a title and then a quick one line description that made it look really awesome. That also meant it got misinterpreted to my benefit on a couple of occassions but that's not my fault, it's not like I lied or anything, people just can't read, or rather, they read what they want to read. (In this case, rather than being a founding member of a board of directors for a dance company, 3 different programs thought I was a founding member of the actual dance company which made me look artistic even though I'm not.)

In any event, too much isn't cool but don't sell yourself short either. If you helped to start some sort of afterschool homework club/diabetes clinic in the projects, don't just say that. Make it sound as fabulous as it really is.

BE (now PE)

If it makes you feel better, the headings where you don't have anything listed don't show up. So it's not like your application will look like a heading for research and then no entries, and a heading for employment then no entries, etc...