ER Provider call the Ken Colman Show

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
3 pph for $250/hr.

Nope. Id walk away from it immediately

Reactions: 2 users
And doing 2,000 hours a year? Even more of a pass.

I’m surprised she needed this dude to tell her that it’s a terrible gig and to walk away 🤣

I refuse to believe that every other ER pays sub $200.

She probably hasn’t looked at every place within a 1 hour radius. I’m sure there will be some gigs paying 200-240/hr with 2 pph.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
It was a guy right? Anyhow, just calling into a self help show tells me enough about this doc.

You make 250/hr, 3pph. Set your rate at 2pph, go take bunch of coffee breaks, leave on time. If the place is as dysfunctional, then no one is able to see 3 pph so why kill yourself. They won't find another doc who will see 3pph in a poorly staff ER for 250/hr. No breaks in 12 hrs?

I always take a break every 2-3 hrs. Pts can wait.

Listeners are probably thinking, "this guy is complaining about the option of working a nice ER job for 175/hr?"

Reactions: 2 users
was convinced this was going to be one of my coworkers. All of this is pretty much accurate for my gig except that there *are* well paying alternatives around (not many, but some)

Reactions: 1 user
EP’s should not go on a public forum like that to lament their jobs.

We all know what she is grappling with. The host sort of gets it, but the average listener simply does not have the context or background to understand, and even less to sympathize.

- As soon as she throws out that she’s making $250/hr and considering a huge paycut to $175, she immediately lost most people I’m sure. They likely thought “Boo f—-ing hoo lady. I would split rocks in a quarry in Phoenix in July for that.” In addition, most people consider 2000 hours/year , or 40 hrs a week normal, and do the math, not realizing that 1500 hrs is more normal for EP’s.

- Talking about how many patients she has to see per hour. If you don’t know what working in the ED entails, then 3 pph really doesn’t sound like much, and 2 pph sounds like a cakewalk. The average person probably thinks “My PCP sees 6 patients per hour, what’s she complaining about. Last time I was in the ER, I saw the doctor for like 5 minutes. She only had to see 2 other people an hour, and I still had to wait that long for my results?!”

- The average person also doesn’t realize that they and their cohorts are a big part of the problem. Good thing the caller didn’t delve into that.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
GOBYSO

What becomes completely clear in the first few minutes of this doctor's call, she is blatantly blind to the fact that the system is and always will be rigged this way on purpose. Their goal is NOT to get more nurses. Their goal is NOT to find more techs to pay. Their goal is NOT to reduce patient flow to a "manageable" level. There is ALWAYS an excuse. Crisis mode isn't rare and unexpected. It's every day.

The system is and always has been titrated to a level where you always feel you're just about to run out of air.

Less patients start coming in? "We can't find nurses now"

More patients come in? "We don't have the beds"

Doctors quit? "You have to work more"

Acuity goes down? "See more patients"

Acuity goes up? "See the same amount of patients"

You're burned out? "We're making more of you."

THIS IS EM.

They don't WANT to find the nurses.

They don't WANT more beds (they love tight control on beds in the community to reduce competition).

They don't CARE that you're burned out. They knew you would, before you ever set foot inside. Throw you in the gutta, go get anutha.

THEY. DON'T. CARE.

THEY ARE XXXX-ing LOADED. But the load isn’t meant for physician quality of life. You already have that, they’ll say.

THEY ARE IN CONTROL AND EVERYONE ELSE IS A PAWN.

Money is the game and you own the pain.

I've been telling you for years, there is only one solution.

It's not to switch jobs. It's not to get a mistress. What you need is DIVORCE. Divorce from EM.

Get Out, Before You Stroke Out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
GOBYSO

What becomes completely clear in the first few minutes of this doctor's call, she is blatantly blind to the fact that the system is and always will be rigged this way on purpose. Their goal is NOT to get more nurses. Their goal is NOT to find more techs to pay. Their goal is NOT to reduce patient flow to a "manageable" level. There is ALWAYS an excuse. Crisis mode isn't rare and unexpected. It's every day.

The system is and always has been titrated to a level where you always feel you're just about to run out of air.

Less patients start coming in? "We can't find nurses now"

More patients come in? "We don't have the beds"

Doctors quit? "You have to work more"

Acuity goes down? "See more patients"

Acuity goes up? "See the same amount of patients"

You're burned out? "We're making more of you."

THIS IS EM.

They don't WANT to find the nurses.

They don't WANT more beds (they love tight control on beds in the community to reduce competition).

They don't CARE that you're burned out. They knew you would, before you ever set foot inside. Throw you in the gutta, go get anutha.

THEY. DON'T. CARE.

THEY ARE XXXX-ing LOADED.

THEY ARE IN CONTROL AND EVERYONE ELSE IS A PAWN.

Money is the game and you own the pain.

I've been telling you for years, there is only one solution.

It's not to switch jobs. It's not to get a mistress. What you need is DIVORCE. Divorce from EM.

Get Out, Before You Stroke Out.

Amen Brother.

This needs to be sticked at the top of the er forum

Reactions: 1 users