PhD/PsyD EPPP Practice Tests Worth It?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foreverbull

Psychologist
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Probably about 4-6 months from taking the EPPP, and I have a set of practice materials handed down to me.

My question is this: are online practice exams necessary? Financially it's a tight squeeze to try to pay $350-$500 for the online practice tests alone, and I have been a high-achieving multiple-choice exam test-taker throughout my life. I understand that the questions are nuanced, but is it necessary to experience them to succeed?
Has anyone passed without buying the online practice tests?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't taken it yet, but I'm studying right now and finding the practice tests super helpful. I got them for free from people who've taken it before, though.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Nah. You mentioned having some hand-me-down materials - are there old practice tests included in that? I ask because I'd say that taking practice tests over and over was the most effective way to study for me. So, if you can't get your hands on some practice tests it might be worth it to purchase them. I spent a grand total of $0 on prep materials but fortunately had access to a bunch of old practice tests. What was really helpful was not simply knowing what I got right and wrong, but the explanations for why the right answer was correct and why the wrong answers were incorrect. I've always been a good MC test taker as well, but getting a feel for the nuance of the questions definitely helped (in addition to learning actual content). You also get a feel for what questions you're likely to see on the actual thing.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are a high achieving test taker, from a good program, answer is definitely not. But, I would try to get your hands on some kind of practice tests

I second this, particularly the part about getting access to practice tests from other students who have taken the EPPP before you.

I found practice tests extremely helpful

Back when I took it, I didn't use the online practice tests. I was given some from various friends and found it helpful in familiarizing myself with how the questions would be worded. It helped me hone my test taking strategies and ensure that I was accurately applying what I know to the how the test questions are designed. I also saw 1 or 2 questions on the actual exam from my study materials!

Despite being an excellent test taker, I went ahead and forked out the money for practice tests even though I had a bunch from another source. I scored much higher than needed and likely would have passed without paying the extra money, but if I had to do it over I would still over prepare. Way too much riding on it to miss by a point or two. Besides the licensing board sees the results and they were impressed. Like to stay on their good side.

H
Despite being an excellent test taker, I went ahead and forked out the money for practice tests even though I had a bunch from another source. I scored much higher than needed and likely would have passed without paying the extra money, but if I had to do it over I would still over prepare. Way too much riding on it to miss by a point or two. Besides the licensing board sees the results and they were impressed. Like to stay on their good side.

How did you know they were impressed? Did they comment on it? Somehow I assumed anything score related was just an automated process

See, I have the attitude that I can always retake it. ;)

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to obtain or purchase practice tests? It looks like they're ~$500 from various test prep companies! Thanks!

Ask around your department. We had several copies of old tests/materials around our postdoc site. Also had other friends/classmates who had various copies if I needed more. Didn't have to pay a cent for study materials.

Members don't see this ad :)
We had copied from my fellowship. That sad, I paid something like $250 for access to a handful of online exams because I am not a good MC test taker. This was a number of years ago, so I'm sure they jacked the prices up since then.

I have a bunch of tests from previous students, but some have the correct answers highlighted (only something more complicated than that) within the question itself and I couldn't figure out how to get rid of the highlighted thing, haha.

I am hoping to come across some free online ones, but if necessary, I will pay for some online ones.

Let me know if you guys know where some free ones are online!

I just took it and passed. The practice tests were helpful. I also took PEPPPO version 2. It gave me a pass and then bar graphs about how I did in each area (looking at the graphs I scored on average in the low 70s). I was getting 74-77 on the old practice tests but I thought that was just because I was recognizing many repeated questions and not the actual material. None of my practice tests included material on the DSM-V and I probably did 6 or so scoring between 65-78. Ultimately, I scored a 624 so plenty of room to spare. There were questions and terms that I did not see anywhere int he practice (AATBS) material. Despite that if you know that material solidly well and if you do a fair number of practice tests, you'll probably pass.

I just took it and passed. The practice tests were helpful. I also took PEPPPO version 2. It gave me a pass and then bar graphs about how I did in each area (looking at the graphs I scored on average in the low 70s). I was getting 74-77 on the old practice tests but I thought that was just because I was recognizing many repeated questions and not the actual material. None of my practice tests included material on the DSM-V and I probably did 6 or so scoring between 65-78. Ultimately, I scored a 624 so plenty of room to spare. There were questions and terms that I did not see anywhere int he practice (AATBS) material. Despite that if you know that material solidly well and if you do a fair number of practice tests, you'll probably pass.
Congrats!

Nah. You mentioned having some hand-me-down materials - are there old practice tests included in that? I ask because I'd say that taking practice tests over and over was the most effective way to study for me. So, if you can't get your hands on some practice tests it might be worth it to purchase them. I spent a grand total of $0 on prep materials but fortunately had access to a bunch of old practice tests. What was really helpful was not simply knowing what I got right and wrong, but the explanations for why the right answer was correct and why the wrong answers were incorrect. I've always been a good MC test taker as well, but getting a feel for the nuance of the questions definitely helped (in addition to learning actual content). You also get a feel for what questions you're likely to see on the actual thing.
I am curious as to where you got your practice tests? Thanks!

I have a bunch of tests from previous students, but some have the correct answers highlighted (only something more complicated than that) within the question itself and I couldn't figure out how to get rid of the highlighted thing, haha.

I am hoping to come across some free online ones, but if necessary, I will pay for some online ones.

Let me know if you guys know where some free ones are online!

I have that same doc with the highlighted answers except I managed to unhighlight them. I'm selling those because it took me forever to get the answers off!

I have that same doc with the highlighted answers except I managed to unhighlight them. I'm selling those because it took me forever to get the answers off!

My friend told me it would require something elaborate and tedious (i.e., going PAGE BY PAGE) to do that--is that what you had to do? I wound up acquiring several more tests, so I stopped caring about those ones, lol.

Where do you recommend finding up to date practice tests? Thanks!

My friend told me it would require something elaborate and tedious (i.e., going PAGE BY PAGE) to do that--is that what you had to do? I wound up acquiring several more tests, so I stopped caring about those ones, lol.
Ha! No. My SO figured out some word related technique. Once we figured it out (no small feat) it was quick.

Probably about 4-6 months from taking the EPPP, and I have a set of practice materials handed down to me.

My question is this: are online practice exams necessary? Financially it's a tight squeeze to try to pay $350-$500 for the online practice tests alone, and I have been a high-achieving multiple-choice exam test-taker throughout my life. I understand that the questions are nuanced, but is it necessary to experience them to succeed?
Has anyone passed without buying the online practice tests?

Thanks!

I have heard from others that the online practice tests were the most important/helpful thing that they used for preparing. I personally would use them!

Does anyone have access to practice tests that they would be willing to share? Am willing to pay for them! Thanks so much!