EP Fellowship 2022 Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard from BI ? (Beth Israel Deaconess)

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard from BI ? (Beth Israel Deaconess)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! Any Whatsapp or other private groups to share thoughts/critiques this year as ranking draws near?

Has anyone heard back from
Ut Austin
Methodist
Baylor
Stanford
Tufts
U.Mass
USC
No post about them yet and I haven’t heard back yet

Has anyone heard back from
Ut Austin
Methodist
Baylor
Stanford
Tufts
U.Mass
USC
No post about them yet and I haven’t heard back yet
UMass has internal candidates and did v limited no. of interviews.
Methodist also interviewed v few.
Baylor did not participate in Match
Stanford, haven't heard.
MUSC, UT Austin n Tufts did and are interviewing as far as I know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, I will appreciate any feedback and recommendations regarding these following programs. I am planning for R.O.L in the following order: Aurora Health Milwaukee> Geissenger> Metro heatlh Cleveland> George Washington D.C> Beaumont ( Michigan). I am highly impressed by volume of cases at Aurora health with > 3000 cases in a year. I am not sure if you get enough hands on regarding lead extractions ? Any inputs on Auroa Health and Metro health? Does Metro health has enough procedures for their fellows? They have only 2 EP labs. Thanks in advance and good luck with your pursuits.

Hi everyone, I will appreciate any feedback and recommendations regarding these following programs. I am planning for R.O.L in the following order: Aurora Health Milwaukee> Geissenger> Metro heatlh Cleveland> George Washington D.C> Beaumont ( Michigan). I am highly impressed by volume of cases at Aurora health with > 3000 cases in a year. I am not sure if you get enough hands on regarding lead extractions ? Any inputs on Auroa Health and Metro health? Does Metro health has enough procedures for their fellows? They have only 2 EP labs. Thanks in advance and good luck with your pursuits.
My analysis

Aurora 3000 cases but will divide amongst 6 fellows so not ideal situation. Good didactics. Milwaukee has extreme climate.

Geisinger. Good procedural experience n didactics but no Transplant. Pioneers in conduction system pacing. Not the best of places to live though

Metro health. Looks like good procedural experience but no Transplant. Again Not the best places to live. There graduating fellows seem to be competent

GW. Not a v strong EP program but great place to settle n fellows get decent training for private practice EP. V light calls if any

Beaumont. Not sure

Reactions: 1 user
Any thoughts on Brigham, Vanderbilt, Mayo, Michigan and Penn. How would you rank them?

Any thoughts on Brigham, Vanderbilt, Mayo, Michigan and Penn. How would you rank them?
My analysis:

1. Penn (busy but the best program along with UCSF)
2. Vanderbilt (v strong program n nice city) faculty continues to grow
3 n 4. Michigan n then Mayo. Michigan over Mayo as Mayo is research oriented n not a fan of Rochester. Though Mayo has great numbers.
5. Brigham. V strong faculty. But there r so many EP programs in Boston area which compromises the volume.

Comments are the things that I’ve picked up talking with a bunch of people and interviewing.

1. Michigan — good training but lots of fellows with 2nd years getting pick of best cases. 1st year can be a lot of research. If you want to be in academics it’s strong and well-regarded both east coast and nationally. Feels well-balanced between clinical and academics which I value.

2. Brigham — strong(est?) Boston program. Will connect you to NE market if that’s where you want to land. Lots of great facilities in the city so maybe not as much volume but good education. Would be #1 out of this list for me but Boston COL is absolutely brutal.

3. Penn — universally the best place for VT ablation and maybe EP overall but they work fellows like dogs; only place I’ve had former graduates tell me “it wasn’t worth it” which was eye opening. If you’re after being “the best” and fine with late nights then it should be #1.

4. Vanderbilt — Lots of mixed reviews of Vanderbilt. One consistent is the system is all about the business and bottom line. I’ve heard this mentality trickles into training programs with teaching being a backseat to faculty churning through cases. Also, well known for being a place with tons of midlevel scope creep. I probably won’t rank them but if I do it’ll be the last 1-2 spots.

5. Mayo — I haven’t heard anything about them but they are known generally for research more than clinical and the location would put it very bottom by default, IMO.

I heard only good things about the Vanderbilt EP program, especially after Dr. Stevenson joined, sources from previous cardiology fellows and ep fellows at Vanderbilt. It appears to be one of the best programs in the country, with great volume and abundant complex cases, without a malignant working environment.

Do programs usually expressed special interest to the candidates prior to ROL deadline?

hi guys, I’m planning my honeymoon for 2022 in either September or October - when are the majority of the interview days? Thank you!
-Applicant next cycle

Based on my discussions with recent graduates of a few of those schools. Not going to rank the cities as that's personal perference.

1. UPenn. Pros: Undoubtedly the best site for VT ablation and arguably EP overall. Most unique VT ablation exposure. Only 12 weeks total call over 2 years. Cons: Very long days. Fellows worked extremely hard. Fewer bread and butter procedures.
2. Mayo. Pros: Excellent teaching faculty. World-class research. Good work-life balance. Variety of cases including exposure to rare procedures. Cons: Fewer cases than other sites. Fewer clinical leaders compared to other top institutions.
3. Brigham. Pros: Good case volume with reasonable work-life balance. Global health program. Excellent reputation. Exposure to stereotactic RT for VT, low/no fluoro cases. Cons: Lost some major names in recent years (primarily Bill Stevenson) and had to rebuild. Potentially lots of call (~12-16 weeks per year).
4. Vanderbilt. Pros: 2 clinical leaders in AF ablation (Michaud) and VT ablation (Bill Stevenson). Cons: Less name recognition than other sites.
5. Michigan. Pros: Balance of cases and clinical exposure vs. research. Cons: Less international name recognition. Smaller names.

Didn't talk with alumni from Vanderbilt and Michigan directly so those might be off. Honestly, they're all world-class EP programs. It just depends on what you want - reputation, work-life balance, devices vs. complex ablation, etc...

How would you rank for these programs (Ohio State University, University of Pittsburgh, University of Washington, University of Kansas)?

How would you rank for these programs (Ohio State University, University of Pittsburgh, University of Washington, University of Kansas)?
Not sure about other programs but I heard that VT expert, Meilssa Robinson is leaving University of Washington (anyone else heard this?) and they were not doing lead extractions anymore. It used to be a very good program before this.

Hi guys,

Any insight on the following 2 questions would be greatly appreciated:

1) Do we know how competitive this year is compared to last year?

2) Any input on the EP programs in NYC (Columbia, Cornell, NYU, Sinai)? How would you rank them?

7/27/21: OHSU
7/28/21: Temple
7/30/21: Mayo Rochester
8/2/21: University of Washington
8/2/21: UT Houston
8/4/21: Ascension St. Vincent
8/5/21: University of Kansas
8/5/21: MGH
8/10/21 and 8/16/21: University of Michigan
8/10/21: Boston University
8/11/21: Cleveland
8/13/21: Vanderbilt
8/13/21: Duke
8/16/21: Westchester Medical Center
8/16/21: University of Wisconsin
8/16/21: University of Rochester
8/17/21: Geissinger
8/17/21: Aurora Health Care
8/17/21: Beaumont
8/18/21: CWRU Cleveland
8/19/21: Weill Cornell
8/19/21: Kaiser Permanente LA
8/20/21: Montefiore Medical Center
8/25/21: Brigham
8/25/21: UMKC
8/26/21: University of Chicago
8/27/21: UPMC
8/27/21: Ohio State
8/30/21: University of Utah
8/30/21: Metrohealth/ Case Western
8/30/21: Lahey
8/31/21 and 9/3/21: Mayo Arizona
8/31/21: University of Colorado
9/1/21: UIC
9/2/21: MLH/Lankenau Medical Center
9/2/21: UCSD
9/2/21: MedStar/Georgetown-WHC
9/3/21: Brown University
9/3/21 and 9/8/21: University of Maryland
9/7/21: BIDMC
9/8/21: Yale
9/8/21: GW
9/8/21: UCLA
9/8/21: Mount Sinai Morningside/St. Luke's Roosevelt
9/9/21: University of Florida, Jacksonville
9/10/21: UC Davis Sacremento
9/13/21: UCSF
9/14/21: Montefiore
9/14/21 and 9/15/21: NYU
9/14/21: Columbia (phone)
9/15/21: U Penn
9/15/21: Mount Sinai
9/20/21: Cedars Sinai
9/21/21: Tulane
9/21/21: Loyola
9/22/21: MUSC
9/24/21: Northwestern
9/24/21: U Cincinnati

Rejections:
8/16/21: Ochsner Clinic, email said they will fill internally
8/17/21: UT Houston officially taking internal candidates and will go out of the match
8/20/21: Henry Ford position canceled for the year
9/27/21: MGH

Unofficially internally filled:
Washington University St.Louis
Indiana University
Johns Hopkins
Emory
UT Southwestern

Waitlisted:
8/22/21: MGH
9/3/21: Westchester Medical Center

Also extending a big congratulations to our future EPs! As previously mentioned, I’ll be applying next cycle and just wanted to hear from some of the applicants this go around what your general perception of the process was/is, any pointers? Etc.

Also extending a big congratulations to our future EPs! As previously mentioned, I’ll be applying next cycle and just wanted to hear from some of the applicants this go around what your general perception of the process was/is, any pointers? Etc.
Anyone at all?

I would say the reputation of your general cardiology fellowship, name of your letter writers and how well they are known is probably the most important factor. Programs will directly call your letter writers especially if they know them to discuss the type of applicant you are. The rest is kind of generic stuff like have research etc…
You should reach out to PDs of programs you’re very interested in even prior to applying and set up a phone appointment to discuss the program/you.

Would love to hear impressions of programs not previously discussed in this thread. What were top choices of the places you interviewed and why? Bottom of your list?

Hello, I am PGY-5 and will be applying next year. Anyone knows when will the new thread be coming out? Also, do you guys know how competitive this past year has been? Any insights on the EP programs in west coast states? Thanks.