Entrepreneur, 3.2/506, shot down in 2015. Advise?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pro7gr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interested in my chances to make it into a school (MD or DO) and where to improve my application.

Noteworthy points:
- 3.1 BA (2007), 3.89 MS - Industrial Engineering (2013), sGPA 3.26
- 506 MCAT - 125 chem/physics, 129 CARS, 126 BIO, 126 Psych (Took it before taking Biochemistry and only studied for 4 months after being out of science classed for ~a decade. Currently taking biochemistry and studying to retake again)
- Clinical experience: 2015: Zero - 2016: starting full time as CNA next week in med/surg (400-500 hours by opening of next round)
- Shadowing 2015: 40 - Current: 80
- Applied 2015-2016. 14 applications, 1 interview, not accepted.
- Started and ran a healthcare software development company (4 years)
- Director of Research and Development at local company (2 years)
- National Record holder 4x800m Relay (lots of track/Cross country in college contributing to low GPA)
- Immediately after my BA was complete I started Organic Chemistry and Physiology but withdrew after becoming disillusioned with medicine. Have since matured and am passionate about becoming a physician.
- After much physician shadowing I am interested in emergency medicine and working towards being a practicing white coat in management at a hospital.
- 1 wife, 4 kids. They are all on board but life is busy :)

Am I crazy, or do I have a chance? Perhaps both...
Recommendations on places to apply?
Areas to improve my application?
Other thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you're applying DO, I suggest taking advantage of AACOMAS's grade replacement policy. You do this by retaking all UG classes that you got a C or lower in and replacing them with As. Note that this is only applicable to AACOMAS; AMCAS will average the grades, not replace them.

Agree with retaking the MCAT if you feel you can improve significantly, but keep in mind that two lackluster scores do not help your cause any. So don't retake unless your practice scores are significantly better than your current score.

Your lack of clinical experience was a huge weakness in your app, and you are already taking steps to fix that.

If you graduated college in 2007, you are around 30 y/o and a nontrad. Come up one forum to the Nontrad forum; you will find lots of other threads and kindred spirits that will be of help to you.

Reactions: 2 users